Fun ways to review - ProTeacher Community

suprchq

Fun ways to review
Old 12-05-2005, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 5th grade and I am looking for fun ways to review for Social Studies tests and quizzes. I already do Jeapordy but would like some other ideas. I have tried doing BINGO but that gets somewhat complicated w/ having to have different cards for each student.
Any other ideas?

Thanks
Susannah

suprchq is offline   Reply With Quote

CLykowski

FUn ways to review
Old 12-06-2005, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have several powerpoint games that I use for review. Jeopardy is one, as is Who want's to be a Millionaire. You can order a set from FTC Publishing. The kids love it!
CLykowski is offline   Reply With Quote

phoebe611

review games
Old 12-06-2005, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like to play basketball with my kids. I split them into two teams. You could do three or four if you have a LARGE class. I ask a question and the first person on team 1 answers it. If they get it right they get a point for their team and then shoot for another point. I then go to team 2 and ask another question. I continue back and forth until time is up or I'm out of questions. I use my trash can as the basket and I have a small nerf style basketball we use.

I also play a game called sink or swim. They are in two teams and I start with the first person on team 1. I ask a question and if they get it wrong they must "sink" (sit down.) If they get it right they may "sink" a person on the opposing team (the one sunk just sits down) OR save a person on their own team. When I get to a person who is sunk, they must answer the question correctly to save themselves. If it sounds a little confusing, just let me know and I'll clarify anything for you. We really have a blast with it.

I also have a deck of a few index cards with point bonuses on them. If they answer a question correctly (again in teams) they pick a card for their point values. Some of the cards say things like: Good for you - add the number of letters in your last name to your score. Congratulations, you just earned 20 points.
To be mean I sometimes put in a few like: Great job, subtract 5 points from the other team's score. I don't like to use those much though since they EARNED those points by knowing their material.

As I think of other ideas I'll post more. -|--
phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote

CLykowski

Fun ways to review
Old 12-06-2005, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Phoebe I loved your ideas and I plan to use some of them. Thanks
CLykowski is offline   Reply With Quote

phoebe611

Glad to help
Old 12-07-2005, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wonderful!!! I'm so glad I could help. I like doing games and activities that I don't have to have a lot of materials for and that don't need a lot of planning. I can just pick up a book and start asking questions.

Another game we play is Baseball. I bought bases (flat plastic bases) from a discount store for $3.00 and made index cards with "?", "out", or "homerun" on them. I shuffle the deck and pick a card. If it's a "?" card I ask the student a question. If s/he gets it right they go to first base. If they get one of the other cards then they get a homerun or an out. Three outs and we switch teams. I don't do strikes. If the student answers a question incorrectly then it is an out for their team.

Needless to say, with doing a lot of team games, it really encourages the students to review and be prepared (especially since we try to play a game to review before every test. I always mix up the team members to keep it fair and interesting. I hope your kiddos enjoy them as much as mine do. Have a great day!

Miss C

Wow!
Old 12-12-2005, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Phoebe, you're amazing! I bet kids LOVE being in your class! I'm glad suprchq posted this, and I'm definitely glad you replied. I can't wait to try some of the ideas myself!
Here's an idea that's not nearly as creative, but we did it today, and the kids liked it. It works best for true/false questions, but I suppose it could be modified for multiple choice. Anyway, I divided the class up into the "true" team and the "false" team. I then made a statement, and if the statement was true, the true team got to jump up and yell "TRUE!" to the top of their lungs. If it was false, then the false team got to jump up and yell "FALSE!" to the top of their lungs. Simple, but, like I said, they like making noise, so it worked. I'm definitely bookmarking this thread. I'd love to hear any ideas that anyone has to share! I get very tired of tic-tac-toe and around the world.
Miss C is offline   Reply With Quote

Carrie in WV

Here are some of my favorites...
Old 12-12-2005, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I got these at a conference recently from a teacher at Louisville Christian Academy...my class loves them!

Basketball/bowling...Prop a clean trash can beside your desk. Lay it down with open side facing out for bowling, standing up for basketball. Divide into teams and ask review questions. Students get a point for answering the question correctly. Mark two different places on the floor where students should stand (you could have them far apart for different point values) and they could "bowl" or "shoot" for extra points if they answered their question correctly.

Flyswatter...Divide your class into 2 or 3 rows (single file works best). The person at the front of each line gets a new flyswatter. Ask the question and the first player to swat their desk gets to answer. Determine ahead of time if a student may swat a second time if his first answer was incorrect. If the answer was incorrect, the other teams may swat for the chance to answer. One point is awarded for each correct answer. All three swatters get passed to the next player of each team after the question is finished. Another variation is that only the person with the correct answer passes his/her flyswatter to the next player and the team whose swatter reaches the last person in line wins.

Bonus...There are three bags, one marked as a 10, one with a 20, and another with a 30. Questions should be sorted in advance and marked with a 1,2, 0r 3 depending on their degree of difficulty. The ones, which are easiest go into the 10 bag and so on. Scoring is like Jeopardy, with correct answers earning the 10, 20, or 30 point value of the bag they were pulled from. Incorrect answers cause the team to lose that many points. A student may choose which bag his question will come from, reach in, pull out a question, then hand it to the teacher without looking at it. The reason for this is because the question is on one side and the answer is on the other. If the student looks at it, he may see the answer. Read the question to the class, and let the student answer it. Add 2 or 3 pieces without questions to each bag, but instead, write the word BONUS on them. If a student pulls a BONUS card, he earns the points for that bag without having to answer a question.

I love to play review games! Please excuse any typos--I am tired and this was long!!
Carrie in WV is offline   Reply With Quote

phoebe611

games
Old 12-13-2005, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Miss C, thanks for your very sweet compliments. I really appreciate your kind words. Other games you could do, but I haven't done them for reviewing are beanbag toss and darts. I have a beanbag toss game and the students could answer questions then throw the beanbag for their points. I also have a magnetic dart board. You could do the same thing with it. I use the darts with the science unit on magnetism and both the darts and beanbags for free time for "centers" if we have had a particularly hard week and need to relax and have a little fun.

I really like your true/false game. My kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to "holler" and make noise so I may have to try that one. Have a wonderful day!!! -|--

Mrs. G

games.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I play several of the games the previous poster listed, but also use a few more.

Team Tic-tac-toe: Divide the class into two teams x's and o's. Draw a tic-tac-toe board on your chalkboard. Ask the first person on team x a question first, if the person gets it right he puts an x on the board. Then do the same for the o team. The first team to get "tic-tac-toe earns a point. If it is a cats game both teams earn a point. the team with the most points wins.

Ask the Expert: Choose five students to be the experts and come to the front of the room. The other students create questions from the information you have covered in class. Choose one student at a time to ask one of the experts a question. If the expert gets it right he stays in the front of the room. If he get it wrong, the person who asked the question takes his place.

Globe ball- I use a blow up globe. I toss it to a student and ask him a review question. If he gets it right he decides who to throw it to next. If he gets it wrong he must throw it back to me and I pick the next person. I do tell the students to throw the ball to someone who has not had it yet to give everyone a chance to play.
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

Valerie

bingo
Old 12-17-2005, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

There is a site that makes bingo cards for free. I'm not sure of the address off hand but if you go to google and type in free bingo card maker you should find it. You can make a set of class cards in minutes with it. Also I've had my kids make their own cards by folding their papers, making lines and putting choosing their own boxes to put the vocabulary words in. Sometimes it's their homework assignment the night before and they have to have to have one board with the words and one board with the definitions so we can play both ways. Just a couple of ideas!
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny

pocket facts
Old 12-17-2005, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

i give my kids a pocket fact for each day. The write down the fact,and it must stay in their pocket all day long. at any stage someone can come up to them and ask them their pocket fact, it could be another kid or the teacher. they have to take it out and read it, correctly. they can then challenge the other person. by the end of the day they can recite it without taking it out of their pocket.
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
LaVerne

LaVerne

bingo maker
Old 02-14-2006, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I believe the site is tech-nology. com. Google bingomaker and it is one of the first ones to appear. Scroll until you find bingo maker. It allows you to make a 9 square grid or 25 squares. Hit shuffle and the words take different spots on the grid.
Anthony

Anthony

Another way to do bingo
Old 03-18-2006, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When I do bingo in math class, I have my students make their own cards. I'll give them a bank of answers and they place the answers into all the squares they have on their blank bingo card. They can place them wherever they want to... Hope this helps
Happy Camper

Happy Camper

Review Activity
Old 03-21-2006, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

What great ideas! I heard another one recently that I liked. Purchase a bag of cheap plastic Easter eggs, one for each student in your class. Then write review questions: again, one for each student in your class. Next, put each question in an egg (Be sure to number the questions!). Then, have students take out a sheet of paper and number it 1-how many students are in the class. Give each student an egg (it doesn't matter at all what order they are in), and they will have 1 minute (or longer if needed for your questions) to write the answer down in the qppropriate space. After a minute, students pass their eggs to the person to the right (the passing part may have to be practiced before hand). The "game" continues until all students have had a chance to answer each egg. My students love this game!

WildcatBarb85

Bingo Review
Old 07-27-2006, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've also used Bingo for review but I have the kids make their own cards. Just give them the list of terms/people/places and they can take it from there.
WildcatBarb85 is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Review Activities
Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Take small cigar size box, poke slits in top, fill 3/4 with sand and seal. Take popsicle sticks, on some, mark end with blue paint. Insert into slits so painted end does not show. Ask questions to class. For a correct answer, student chooses a popsicle stick. If it has blue paint on the end, they can pick from the prize/candy jar.

Another game, take black and red checkers, place in small, solid color makeup bag. Have students form 2 teams. Ask question. If student answers correctly, they get to pick a chip from the bag. BEFORE they pick the chip, they have to decide whether to apply points to their own team or to the opposing team (black chip is +2, red chip is -2). First team to reach 20 points is the winner.

Two teams line up in 2 separate lines. Questions given to first person in line. No one is allowed to help them. If correct, they move to the end of the line. If incorrect, the other team gets to try the question. Each complete rotation of people is a tally mark for the team. First team to reach 10 tally marks is the winner.

Hope these make sense. You can email me if you don't understand them.
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sarah_23

Sarah_23

New Teacher-
Old 01-22-2007, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Hey Pheobe,

Thanks for the ideas. I am planning on using sink or swim tomorrow with the kids at my school. I was looking for a fun way to review. I am a new student teacher. I just started yesterday and I had a task to come up with a good way to review the nervous system. Your sink or swim game sounds very interesting. Thanks again. Take Care

Sarah

PS. What grade do you teach?

phoebe611

Sarah
Old 01-23-2007, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm glad you will be able to use the sink or swim game. I didn't create it (of course) since I don't have a creative bone in my body, but it's a fun game to do. I taught 5th grade last year. This is my 11th year of teaching and it has all been in 5th or 6th. I'm teaching 6th grade reading this year. I'm having a really hard time playing games with my groups this year. Good luck with your student teaching. You picked a WONDERFUL site for new ideas, activities, and friends. Let us know if you need anything else.

Teach4

Wow!!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

These all sound so fun. I was looking for some new ideas.

Something I do - Circle Review. You write the answers to your questions on index cards. Depending on the number of questions/kids each kid can get 1, 2 or more cards. Then I stand in the center of the circle. I read the questions. If you think you have the answer on your card, you bring it to me. If you are correct I take the card and you sit down (or go back to the circle if they have more than one card - the child sits down when they are out of cards). If they are incorrect, I just hand the card back and they get back in the circle. I continue reading the questions until everyone is sitting. Sometimes, no one will approach. I mark those questions and come back to them at the end. Another fun addition, time them and then play again. See if they can beat their original time. Or, if you switch and teach more than one class, time them and challenge classes to beat the time of other classes. Oddly enough, they like this game even without the timing challeng even though it's not really a game that you can win/lose.

Fact or You're Kidding Me! (commonly know as Fact or Crap): Write Fact on 2 index cards. Write You're Kidding Me! on 2 index cards. Divide the class into two teams. The first person in each line gets two cards - one fact and one you're kidding me. I read a statment in true/false style. The players each hold up a card (without looking at each other). There are 3 scenarios: both teams get a point b/c both kids are correct, one team gets a point and the other gets none, or both teams are incorrect and no points are awarded. I just read statements until I run out and the team with the most points wins.
Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

starteach

Board Game
Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

For some reason, my kids really like this game...I draw a board game on the board (a bunch of squares in a line) with start, finish and whatever other squares on the way to the finish line (go ahead 5, go back 2, ect.) Each team is represented by a magnet to move along the board game. Then, each team also gets a dice. If they answer the question correctly (I have all the teams answer each question on a white board so that no one is waiting), they get to roll the dice and then move their piece that many spaces.
Another way I've done this if you want individual review, is to have each student create their own board game. (I had them do this after they finished taking a test, which was great because those who had more time spent the time decorating their board.) I gave them specifications- such as how many spaces, how many other things to write on the board, ect. Then, I had them each choose a color of the die I had. (I had 4 die in 4 different colors) I rolled all of these each times and then told them- "if you picked red, you move so many spaces, if you picked yellow..."

Another game is tic-tac-toe review. Divide your class (if you want more than 2 teams, just make more boards). Draw a tic-tac-toe board on the white board. If the team answers the question right, they get to pick a place to fill on the tic-tac-toe board. If both teams answer right, I let the team that answered the fastest choose thier square first. Who ever wins the tic-tac-toe game, wins. (I usually have to play a few games for my review.)
starteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tammych

Thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

It's always nice when an old thread resurfaces. I would have never found this on my own, so thanks for bringing it back.
Keep the ideas coming!!!!
tammych is offline   Reply With Quote
Ms. M

Ms. M

Spanish and French teacher
Old 05-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I LOVE these ideas! I always to find a fun and truly helpful way to review before a test, so this is awesome- thanks.

I'm actually looking for good ways to review a test AFTER it has been taken. I think it needs to be done, and yet no matter how great or how poorly a student did, I seem to lose him when we do review! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
D K

D K

Prof
Old 12-04-2008, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I use Numbered Heads Together (cooperative learning). You put students into teams of 4 and have them number off (1, 2, 3, 4). Then you ask a question. Next, they put their heads together and quietly come up with the correct answer, making sure everyone in the group knows the answer. When everyone in the group knows the answer, they put their hands up. I call on one person from the first group to respond (with no help from their team members). Each team has a number, so they earn points for their team based on if they get the answer correct. If they don't get it correct, then another team gets the opportunity to respond.

I have also cut up the test questions and put them in balloons and then blown up the balloons. I separate the class into teams and put them in lines. Each person gets a balloon and they have to try to pop it by setting on it and taking out the question. Then if they can answer the question they took out of their balloon, their team gets a point. If someone on the other team gets the correct answer first, the other team gets the point.
MissB.

MissB.

Going over an assignment
Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

So, I know this thread is about review games, but I thought I might try a stab at asking y'all this question, as it somewhat relates:

I teach 7th grade math, a little older, a little crazy with the hormones, but still loving games of course! I have done some, but not all of these review games.

My question is this: I do study guides for the material several days before review game day. We go over the study guides, and I try to do it in a game format, so it is more fun. We also do a review game day the day before. The problem is, my kids are getting tired of the same things.
SO, my question: Does anyone have any ideas for a creative way to go over an assignment? It needs to be engaging! Just calling on people to go over answers gets old, and I've done numbered heads a lot, and they are getting tired of it, so I want to change it up. (they loved it in the beginning of the year!) I've done popsicle sticks, and throwing the ball at them as well.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!
dj

dj

students teach
Old 04-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I have my kids do a practice test. then they are the teacher...i call them up by their last name, just like if they were a teacher. They read the question and pick someone to answer it then they mark on the test i have up on the overhead.
Mrs. B.

Mrs. B.

Instructional Specialist
Old 06-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

With the latest technology being available, there are lots of creative ways to review in a fun way. Many times, as educators, we find ourselves battling with texting in the classrooms. A fun way to solve this issue is to use 3 cellphones that have unlimited texting. Usually, I have my own cellphone which counts for one and at least two other students have their cellphones. Set up the class in a "Family Feud" style organization. The teacher or a lead student reads the review question. The two team captains, after talking with their "family", texts the answer to the game leaders phone. The first correct text to arrive, wins the point!

You can also do a musical chairs/hoops type review with questions on the chair/hoop and musical to signal movement.

Another fun way is to put shaving cream on the desks, show a question on a slide and have students write the answer in, show the correct ansewr slide for self checking and progress through the game!

Have kids design their own tests from their notes.
Mlle

Mlle

Another Bingo option
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I do Bingo a lot in math class too. I have them essentially do a worksheet with, say 30 problems on it and tell them to double check with a partner to make sure their work is correct. I then ask them to pick the 24 they are most confident with and put those answers into a blank bingo board. This way they actually do some work before playing with their answers. It's a simple way to make a worksheet fun! Hope this helps!

J.Elaine

Wow!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I have my PT boards set up so that new posts pop to the top of the list, and I just found this thread.

Do you realize this thread started in December 2005??????????????????? I find that totally incredible! That's what I call standing the test of time! I guess fun ways to review is relevant anytime!
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
peppery

peppery

Easy Bingo
Old 11-29-2009, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Hi!

I travel from room to room and one day, could not find my pre-printed Bingo chart - so I improvised. Rather then printing multiple bingo cards (which I used to do) I tell the students to:
1. take out a sheet of paper and make a bingo chart of 9, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20 etc. squares
(whatever amount needed to cover your study)
2. Fill in the bingo chart with the words/ definitions (whatever) is being reviewed (one square per word or concept). This way, each chart should be different and you don't do the work. Students can leave a Free Space.
3. Do the review; ask the questions, etc.
Paul

Paul

Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

My students like to play the game Deal or No Deal. I divide them into 2 teams. Each team has 20 "boxes" with various extra credit points in them. Everytime you answer a question, you get to pick a "box". Every three questions a team answers I give them an offer of extra credit points that they can lock in on (if they win the game). I use from 0 to 25 extra credit points in the boxes. Only the team with the most correct questions gets the extra credit that is in their box, or what deal they made.

nascent1

advice on pre-review game strategy
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Greetings:

newer teacher here
I am looking for some activities, that preferably do not necessitate my instruction the whole time and that helps the students absorb the information. I am looking for some regular activities that they can do to begin to synthesis the material. any ideas
nascent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
ps27

ps27

More info on sink/swim
Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

The sink or swim game sounds fantastic. I hope to use it for a review with my class. Can you elaborate a little further on how exactly it is played?
Brynn

Brynn

Math Games
Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I am a new teacher and I am looking for a test review game that I can use for math. I would prefer this be a game where every student can participate in answering every question. Any ideas?
MrsH.TU

MrsH.TU

Techy Review
Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I've used premade templates that include sound and animation that matches the following games: Jeopardy, Cash Cab, and Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
I use the Jeopardy template often and the kids love it. It is easy to use and all set up for you. All you have to do is write your questions and answers and you are good to go.

http://sctritonscience.com/Wilson/po..._templates.htm
This website takes you to all the downloadable ppts.

I've also used polleverywhere.com
-It is a website that allows you to create questions and have students text in their responses. You are able to see their responses live. It is a bit of gimmick and more of an activity to use sparsely throughout class.

mgraham507

Getting everyone involved
Old 04-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I also play a lot of games mentioned here and thought I would share a modification I made to my Jeopardy type games. In the past students were grouped as teams and each person took a turn doing the writing, but others on the team could help or tell them what to write. Because I was noticing my gifted students were overtaking, I modified the game.

I set them up in rows w/ each student a white board/marker. Their team was the people sitting in front or behind them. (I had 4 rows of 6.) I showed the question and everyone answered independently. After a while,I had everyone show me their answer. (So, I would see who was getting it and who wasn't.) Then I rolled a monster sized dice and the person sitting in that number spot on the row, would continuing holding up their board. The others would put theirs down. I awarded points to each team that got the answer correct.

Beforehand, I did have a talk with them about respecting others, so they were not rude to students who missed the question.
mgraham507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Rugglesm

Rugglesm

Bingo
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

An easy way to fix the issue of having enough cards for the students is to allow them to create their own cards. I provide the students with a word bank and then give them a blank bingo card which I allow them to fill in with the words of their choice.
Waldowoman

Waldowoman

Sink or Swim
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Hi, I read you response on this forum and I am wondering about the game sink or swim. How does it end? Or how is there a winner since you don't skip the students who are sitting down. It sounds like fun and I would like to play it with my 5th graders. Could you clarify the rules a little more for me. Thanks!
AARON BRAME

AARON BRAME

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Thanks for the bingo idea. I'm doing it today!

-Aaron Brame
mrbramesblog.org