When will there be sub jobs - ProTeacher Community

TXlady

When will there be sub jobs
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year to sub. My district uses Aesop sub system. This is the second week of school. I am so ready to start working and sub. I have nothing to do all day and am ready to take jobs. But when I search online there's nothing. And I work in an extremely large school district. When do you think sub jobs will be available? I am hoping in at least a week or so. I'd like to get to the point where I am subbing everyday.

TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

It depends
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

on your district and you. The first couple of weeks are usually very slow as teachers want to get routines established with their students and teachers and their families are fairly healthy.

Some additional variables: you are new to subbing and probably unknown--go to some nearby schools and introduce yourself, maybe take a business card with your name, number, some experiences noted. Make nice with secretaries and principals, if you can get to them.

Do a great job when you do sub and leave your card or name and number.

Some districts are using recently laid off teachers as subs and calling them first, mine has overaged teachers as permanent subs--they get assigned first because they are on salary.

Most schools have subs they contact first, folks who have proven they are dependable; over time you can join that group. Many are retired teachers who are known to others at the school already.

Hang in there, flu season will hit, Dr. appointments will come up, trainings will be scheduled. Keep up with AESOP, check in often--early morning and late evenings, take half day jobs that appear at 8:30 a.m.
You will get your foot in the door.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

JenTheHammer

Aesop in the mix
Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

TXLady - I, too, work in a large district in TX (31,000 students) that uses Aesop. Our district allows each teacher to have their own 'preferred sub' list, and then each school in the district gets its own 'preferred sub' list. So you need to get your face out there and meet the sub coordinators for each campus you would like to sub at.

If you don't have it already, download Firefox, and an add-on called Check4Change. This refreshes your Aesop results as much as every 10 seconds, if you so desire. I used Jobulator (an Aesop widget) to find jobs, and it was in invaluable tool. Now I am using Check4Change, and won't have to pay the $40 yearly fee.

Jobs in my district are usually picked up within seconds - yes, I said seconds. I got a notice, picked up my phone to check my calendar, and went to accept the job. It was already gone after only about 25 seconds, and this was in the middle of the day of the 1st week of school. Good luck, meet the sub coordinators, and happy <job> hunting!

Jennifer
JenTheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

2 weeks?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I checked my calendar: last September I had no jobs the first 2 weeks of school. Eventually I was assigned 5 for the rest of the month, but had to cancel 3 of them because I was on jury duty for 9 days...I could've screamed. October brought me my usual number of jobs. So, hang in there. If you're in an extremely large district (I am not), the jobs will come.

Like the poster above said, you can click to accept a job on AESOP, and it's already gone. It happened to me on Tuesday, just a matter of seconds.

Good luck, you'll get used to the system quickly!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsclark143

2 week subbing
Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

sub services told me that normally teachers don't need subs near the beginning of the year. I was told it'd be relatively slow up through November. Sadly, she was right but once you get jobs make sure to go to the office after school and have them put you on their call back list; that way they will have your name/id number handy and they can just request you. I always leave a note with the teacher at the end of class as well. I let her know how everything went, any problems/concerns, and also to tell him/her not to hesitate to request you if they need a sub again. You sort of build a fan-base that way.

I've been called a lot just in the first couple weeks of the school year because I got lucky and landed a job that needed me 2 days a week for a few weeks. I ended up developing a rapport with many of the teachers there and now they recommend me to any teacher there that needs a sub.

One last thing, a trick is to (and I'm not familiar with aesop) pick up jobs that don't have a teacher, or that have a vacancy. Many times that position has not yet been filled and you might be able to get a permanent/long term subbing job with them. :-) Happy Hunting! (sorry so long)

mrsclark143 is offline   Reply With Quote

Carly89

Oct.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my first year subbing, I was told by the woman who handles subbing for my district that calls don't come in until Oct. and if you get called in Sept. count your blessings.
Carly89 is offline   Reply With Quote