2nd to 3rd Abeka Math - ProTeacher Community

tchhz

2nd to 3rd Abeka Math
Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 3rd grade and every year when I begin math the students do not know their addition and subtraction facts well enough. Is this something you deal with too?? I really think it is a curriculum problem. It makes it so difficult for the students to begin the year feeling as if they cannot do the work. Your experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.

tchhz is offline   Reply With Quote

kthomp38

Old 09-03-2010, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach fourth grade Abeka and I feel like none of my students know their multiplication facts which are usually mastered or close in third grade. It is frustrating so we are reviewing them as much as possible as well as following the Abeka fourth grade curriculum.
kthomp38 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchhz

Hhhmmm
Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe it's just the summer slip. You know where everything they learned last year slips away during the summer. . . .
Anyway, review review review. (There's just so little time to do it!)
tchhz is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetsong32

Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

WE also use ABEKA math at our school. Every year there always one to three in each grade who have not yet fully mastered their needed facts. This year, I have two. They are quickly catching on, though.
sweetsong32 is offline   Reply With Quote

rbailey1970

Around the World
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also teach ABEKA. I've taught every elementary grade, currently I teach 1st and 2nd.
Learning math facts is critical in their program. Right before giving the speed drill I always drill flashcards by either playing Around the World, Kings/Queens, or a row game. The curriculum offers several game ideas in the front of the curriculum. That is one thing I can say about my students. They always leave my classroom knowing their math facts.
I think it's such a big deal for me becuase I never learned them when I was a kid. In fact, I learned my facts fluently my first year teaching.

rbailey1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

amyt682

Old 09-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

ok, so this is my fourth yr teaching 2nd w/ abeka and i just realized this year that in 1st grade the curr doesnt put the subtraction facts in the fact family-they do the twin to the addtion fact only, so when it shows up on their math sheet in 2nd grade with the domino and four facts to fill in (2 addition and 2 subt) they have no idea how to figure it out unless you show them even if you write all the fact family on the board like the lesson plan says...so i have my kids do an extra math worksheet of add or sub facts only- 3 days a week for morning seatwork first thing in the morning while i get lunch count/attendance etc...for the other two days of the week, on the test day they do the workbook sheet and on friday they do the speed drill-all four boxes and I dont time it, but it needs to be done when i'm done with my housekeeping stuff
amyt682 is offline   Reply With Quote