Does anyone remember a band called Freedom Jam from middle school? - ProTeacher Community

tammynj

Does anyone remember a band called Freedom Jam from middle school?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will probably only apply to people more or less my age (early 40s), but the post below about old movies got me thinking of my middle school days (early 80s). For at least two years, a band came to put on a concert. It was a rock band, but I laugh about that now. How much of a rock band they really were is questionable, if they were approved by the school! From what I recall, this band went to various middle schools and performed. If they had a "message," I forget what it was. But I remember all the girls freaking out. Nowadays, they would probably be laughed off the stage, but back then...

Does anyone else remember such a group? Maybe they were called "Freedom Rocks" or something like that....

dakota_blue5

Old 09-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I remember the group you're talking about. I was in high school, I think and remember them coming to the school during the school day for an assembly and then we could come back that evening for a concert. I remember them playing some of Bon Jovi's songs and thinking the lead singer was really cute I don't remember the name except that Free or Freedom was in it.

teabreak

Omg!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I remember them! How odd it is to think of them now. I don't even remember what they sang of if they had a message. I remember getting a teaser concert and then going to a longer one the next night. !! How funny!

tammynj

Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I remember getting a teaser concert and then going to a longer one the next night.
Wait - you are right, I think that is exactly what they did. I felt like I remembered seeing them twice. I was wondering if they came two different years, but that's probably what it was. Were they a fundraiser? What???

dakota_blue5

Old 09-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm pretty sure the concert was free...all four of us went and I don't think we could have afforded to send all of us if there had been a cost. I think they just had a generic stay in school stay off drugs kind of message. I remember getting/buying(?) a poster that I had up on my wall for a while with all of their autographs on it.

bucket

Freedom Jam
Old 09-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

OK....ya'll got me curious so I googled Freedom Jam and I found this link to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fator

Did you know that the lead singer for Freedom Jam went on to win America's Got Talent - Season 2. He was the comedian/ventriloquist.

They have an old photo of Freedom Jam on the site.

tammynj

Old 09-05-2010, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow, that photo! It's hard to imagine which ones we were screaming over. It all looks very 80s pop. I seem to remember them more long-hair, sort of metal-ish looking (if not sounding). Perhaps their looked evolved over a period of years (the New Wave look became popular a few years after I was in middle school).
underdog

underdog

A Different Freedom Jam
Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I remember a group called Freedom Jam that was out of Florida. They came to our high school in 1977 timeframe. I helped them setup equipment during the day at our school gymnasium, and got to come into the show for free the night of their performance. They did the popular music during that time period (Styx, Parliament, and some other groups). I remember one guys name in the group, Dallas Barnes. I had a poster they gave me. The picture on the Wikipedia site with Terry Fator is not the same group I saw in the late 70's. Dallas, if you see this post, let me know whatever happened to you guys.

c-horse

c-horse

Freedom Jam/Free Fare
Old 12-05-2010, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Okay, I remember both of these bands coming to our jr. high and high schools. They were part of a company out of Florida that auditoned and put together bands to tour schools across the US. They would each come in and perform at an assembly (the teaser concert). This would include some sort of redeeming social message such as drug awareness or a history lesson (I'm sure this was a requirement to validate the assembly as educational). Then they would perform a full concert later that evening or the next night.

I also helped set up the band for the assembly at my junior high school in 1982. I spoke with the band members and they told me that the bands' lineups were constantly updated...new personnel every year or two. If memory serves, they also told me there were 8 bands total with 5 members in each band.

JohhnyP

Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was googling around trying to find out what happened to these guys and saw this message.

I tried to post a link to my facebook but doesn't seem to let me. I can't post pics here yet either.

However if you go in my profile here on proteacher and to the chat messages, there's a link to a Freedom Jam poster I have on FB if you're interested in seeing it, I think they came to our school '76-77.
yas

yas

freedomjam or freefare
Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

originated out of st petersburg fl...message.."the way the truth and the life"...history of rock, in a day skit..rock show at night.. the bands toured all over the country for over 30 years...great time!( i think your talking about terry fator.)

yas

yas

freedomjam or freefare
Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

i was on the 76-77 tour...kentucky..tennessee..mic h,,ohio,,new york..penn..more?

Cosmic

Cosmic

Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yes all over Ms. & AL. in 1979-81

FLH

FLH

teacher
Old 01-31-2011, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Freedom Jam toured Canada too. I remembered them playing at my Northern Ontario high school in the early 1980s a couple of times. The lead singer brought a senior girl on stage, serenaded her and kissed her (quite chastely). The principal was furious about this and cussed out the student council who I guess had been responsible for arranging for the band to visit.

jazzarose

jazzarose

band - Freedom Jam
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Yep, I remember them, 7th grade, Huntsville AL. Still have the signed poster. That is what prompted this search. Found the poster doing some spring cleaning. Has all the band members names, Freedom Jam down the side, Black and White.

helleo

helleo

I remember
Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yes Freedom Jam came to St.Louis too! I still have my poster and remember the names of two of the guys. A friend and I became pen pals with two of the guys for a couple of years.

lisalep4

lisalep4

Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

oh my god! i was so in love with these guys! i followed them all over new jersey. it was 1983. wonder what they're doing now?!!!

jackthis

jackthis

Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I remember a band call freedom jam........they came to washington, georgia around 1978. They were quite good and I remember them playing a Boston song (Long Time) which was a kick butt song.........always wondered what happened to them.

technopriest5

technopriest5

Freedom Jam
Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Yeah I remember them. They came to my high school around 1978-79 with a concert during the day and one in the evening.

OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I remember Freedom Jam performing at Appleseed Middle School in Mansfield, Ohio in 1978/79 school year when I was in the 8th grade. That was the only year I went to school there, so I am 100% certain of the timeframe. I am almost certain they were from St. Petersburg, Florida.

Karl5

Karl5

Freedom Jam 1978.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I remember them well. They came to our Jr High School and performed in 1978. Kenilworth Jr High Petaluma CA.I remember the lunch time teaser and then coming to the show in the evening. At the time I was very impressed by it all. I had the same B&W poster of them signed by the whole band too. I am sure I still have that poster. I think I will dig a bit and see if I can find it now. If I remember right the Keyboard player in the band that I saw was called Merlin.
It seems a lot of people have the same memory.Great times and one of my first rock shows.

Karl

Gray in NC

Gray in NC

Saw You in NC in 1976
Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

WOW, yes Freedom Jam in 1976 and Free Fare maybe the next year? Saw you at North Surry High in Mount Airy, NC. Any other info about the group at this time would be GREAT!!!!

Old but Good

Old but Good

Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Wow! It's awesome to read all these memories of the same experience!!! Freedom Jam was at Magnolia Jr. High in Moss Point, MS around the 78'-79' time frame, I was in 8th grade. As someone else said, this was my first "concert" experience also. I still remember the 9th grade girl who was chosen to go on stage. Boy, the rest of us were jealous!!! Also, I remember a couple of the really tacky girls ambushed them after the daytime performance and pulled out a handful of the lead singers hair. I had the same black and white poster. Awesome memories of a MUCH simpler time...

Karen1964

Karen1964

Old 06-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

The Freedom Jam group is not the same as the group with Terry. I saw them in 8th grade in Raleigh NC in 1977. I do not remember names.

dogger

dogger

Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I saw a band called Freedom Jam back at Marancook HS in Readfield ME bach around 83. They opened with Quiet Riot's "Metal Health"

Tdave

Tdave

I was one of the members.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

It's funny to hear of all those that actually saw Freefare, Freedom Jam, and The Edge. I was actually a member of both Freedom Jam and The Edge in 1989. These bands were all a part of an organization called Young American Showcase. YAS was a Christian based ministry that every year would pick a theme or message to spread, and then send eight rock groups out to tour the US and Canada doing high school and middle school assemblies and night concerts. Here's the fun part. All 8 bands were identical. We all had the same message, the same set list, and our members were even interchangeable. 8 guitarists, 8 singers, and so on................and any one of us could leave our paticular group and jump right in with one of the others and not miss a thing because all eight groups were doing the same thing in different parts of the country!
The first year that I auditioned, I was selected as a 2nd reserve, which meant I was basically number 10 of eight singers. But anything from getting burned out, to family emergencies could open up a spot, so we alternatives had to learn the whole show, the whole 'talk' part and the set list and be ready to perform at a phone calls notice. The year that I spent as al alternative, I actually got the call two months into the school year, but was already in college. The following year, I made the 'first' team. Reported to St. Petersburg Florida for "trainning camp" and hit the road with a group called The Edge. One month into my tour, I damaged my voice and had to give up my position, go home and stand by as a reserve. Once again, when I got the call to come back, I had other things going on. But I have to say, the one month I had on the road living like a true rock star was one of the best times of my life!!