Need a Lesson Plan for Observation - ProTeacher Community

Not4$

Need a Lesson Plan for Observation
Old 09-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need a Kindergarten Lesson Plan for an observation. I have a new principal that I am not yet comfortable with. Kindergarten is a new grade level for me. I'm comfortable with them, but not with him. Any ideas? I'm thinking a hands on? Or maybe not.

Not4$ is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 09-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have an observation tomorrow. I'm doing the story "Stone Soup" with a local twist. This is a tradition that we do every year so no dog and pony show. I'll tell the story and the children will bring up veggies to put in my big black pot along with my magic stone. I will have a secret crock pot of soup in the back of the room to serve after lunch. If anyone brings canned veggies I will had those to the crock pot. I will not be chopping and dicing during my observation.

After the story, the children will go to various stations, retelling using puppets, summeriazing-drawing the begininng, middle and end of the story and sequencing using cut outs of the pot and veggies, they will put the veggies in the pot in the same order as the story.

And all the while, I will be praying that my DD doesn't call to tell me she is really in labor (false alarm today!)

Good luck with your observation.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Not4$

Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good Luck with your observation. This sounds like a nice plan. Little too early in the year for me with this plan. But I'll keep this idea for later on. It's a good one!

BeeHappy

What subject are you thinking about?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Reading:

3 Ways to Read a Book - "No, David" by David Shannon
Point out the title, author
Ask the kids to predict what they think the book is about.
Ask them how they know? [They will say because of the picture of the goldfish spilling on the cover.]
As you read the book, have them 'read the pictures' on each page, telling you what is happening in the story.
You point out that this is one way to read a book - reading the pictures.
Begin to do a shared reading with them joining in reading the words.
You point out this is the 2nd way to read a book - reading the words.
Finally, in the end have them do 'hand up, stand up, pair up' from Kagan Structures - put some music on and as you play the kids walk around the room with their hand stretched up, palm out. When the music stops they pair up with the closed partner palm-to-palm. The person with 'the shortest hair' goes 1st this time. They share/retell a favorite part of the story. [Ask your principal to model this with you 1st if possible, or get some else to do it so the kids know the routine.]
Turn the music back on and have them find a different partner.
Chart the 3 ways to read in a Y chart - draw a picture of the goldfish bowl for 'read the pictures', write "No, David!" under 'read the words' and draw 2 stick kids with speech bubbles above them for 'retell'.
Have the kids do Think Pair Share for teaching each other the 3 ways to read a book to wrap up.

Writing: 4 Ways to Write
Make a poster of examples of: scribble writing, letter strings, kid/phonetic spelling, and 'dictionary' spelling.
Create some sets of these same types of samples, enough for a sort for every child in the class to work in groups to sort these 4 types of writing after your lesson.
Teach how that in kindergarten we are beginning to learn how to write. Writing develops in stages. Use an analogy to tell them what 'stages' means: You could show them a watermelon seed or a pumpkin seed. Show them how it turns into a little seedling, then a big plant with a flower, then finally the fruit.
Show them your poster and tell them that good writers 'think' before they write.
Model thinking out loud about what you are going to write. Find a sample of scribble writing that someone has illustrated and dictated the story if you can.
Do the same for stringing letters together.
Then model kid spelling.
Finally dictionary spelling. Make sure kids understand that all of these ways are the right way to write for now. Assure them that you will teach them how to get to the next levels this year.
These sets need to be paced quickly. Should take about 5 minutes total.
Have the kids move their bodies to get their wiggles out at this point then:
Model how to sort.
Have a kid come up to help [guided].
Then turn the kids loose to sort at their table groups. [5 minutes of sorting]
Then have them think and write, maybe draw the principal coming to visit and writing about her visit.
Wrap up by reflecting and sorting their own writing into the 4 ways to write.
Hang their drawing/writing up in your room right away after giving them feedback.

I'm getting ready for bed or I would think of a math lesson plan. Hope this helps.

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Not4$

Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I can do any subject. Working on it this weekend. IN standards.

Last edited by Not4$; 09-11-2010 at 07:28 PM..

BeeHappy

Good luck! Let us know...
Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

what you end up teaching and how it goes!

We're pulling for you!

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote