Center groups rotation...stumped!!! - ProTeacher Community

meglynn

Center groups rotation...stumped!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone!
I have completely stumped myself and for some reason cannot think of a solution to this problem...
I usually have 5 center groups that rotate through 5 centers during 1 week. Except this year because of my huge class (28!) I had to add an extra table so now I have 6 groups. I am starting to introduce centers next week except I just realized I am no longer able to do a 5 group/5 day rotation! I have been trying to think of solutions... Maybe a 6 day rotation but that will throw the themes off each week and start to get very confusing or cramming 5-6 kinds at tables that are barely big enough for 4 kids. The kids have already gotten used to their groups and rotating through the tables using the 6 groups. Does anyone else have this problem or a solution?!?!?! I need to figure this out quick before next week...AHHHH!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

meglynn is offline   Reply With Quote

A in ARK

Same Problem!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have 5 literacy stations per week and I want to have 5 guided reading groups. Does anyone have a visual schedule that they can post to show me how you manage coming to a teacher table, going to a station, and then visiting another teacher table. How can I make this work so the children can look at a chart and know where they should go?????
A in ARK is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4smiles

I use a pocket chart
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

with pictures of the 5 literacy centers I use and then under that I place the children's names. Then I just rotate the pictures everyday. I only use that chart for the literacy centers- they just have to learn the order of rotation (my table, journal table, my AT's table and then literacy centers). Hope this makes sense. I only have four groups right now- with 26 children. Got a feeling that I'll have to go to five and then I'll probably add computers combined with listening.

Last edited by Teach4smiles; 09-09-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Teach4smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

bethybear

Two rotations on Friday?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is there any way to do two rotations on Fridays. That way you could have your 6. You would have to adjust your schedule on Fridays, but that might be better than carrying over to the next week and the the next be two days off.......
bethybear is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do three rotations per day (20 kids, soon to be 18 because of FL's class size amendment)

Here is a sample of a day with a volunteer and a day by myself:

Table 1 - guided reading with me
Table 2 - HF word cards out on table, stamp pads, letter stamps and paper
Table 3 - volunteer playing ABC BINGO
We rotate about every 15 minutes or so, depending upon which center is taking the longest

Table 1 - guided reading with me
Table 2 - play dough and letter cookie cutters
Table 3 - covering letters M and m (the letter of the week) with glue and beads

I know a lot of people do centers with charts and kids moving around the room, marking things off, etc., but I just can't wrap my head around that. I know it is organized for those who do it, but its not in my mind.

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

I agree with BioMom3...find a system & time
Old 09-10-2010, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

frame that really works for you. I have seen a lot of confusing pocket charts for rotations and if they are confusing to me what will the kiddos think? I have always gone back to using my white board for 1) 2) and 3) steps with samples or icons of the activity. As we start to break out of whole group activities into the literacy stations I will put their table icon (movies-ie: Kung Fu Panda is orange table) across top and their different activities below their group. I have never gotten into the more than 2 rotations a day, so I like the PP that suggested maybe 2 on Friday. Also a rotation that can use rug space if you are short a table (My puzzles or math tubs always end up on the rug)

This year I have mixed tables. In past I had "same level" tables so they could rotate to me for guided reading. But several workshops later have shown to pull from the various tables for the different levels as well as intervention for penmanship, etc. This will be my first year with that and so far so good. I tried to put several good role models at each table, too.
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote