Marble Jar: when to reward class with marbles? - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

m.frances

Marble Jar: when to reward class with marbles?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I am a brand new teacher and I decided I would have a marble jar because I love using positive reinforcement. The problem is, I have so many other things going through my head, I keep forgetting to reward the class. Today we earned 3 marbles because the music teacher said they were "great" at specials (it only took me 'til the afternoon to remember...the compliment was given in the morning time!) I tried using it as incentive for being quiet during math (I wrote the word RECESS on the board and told them I would erase a letter every time it got too loud. If I didn't have to erase any letter they would earn 3 marbles, but I had to erase two letters).

Any other suggestions for when to reward them that I can wok into my daily schedule? I am regretting doing it because I'm finding it too hard to manage!

m.frances is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs.bear

Old 09-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use it for whenever someone is doing the WRONG thing, reinforce the correct behavior by giving a marble to a child who is doing the RIGHT thing. Also, whenever the classroom is getting loud, I look for the quietest table and let them each put a marble in the jar. It really helps those kids who are not showing the right behavior realize what it is that they need to be doing without you harping on them.
mrs.bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. J

Marble Jar Rewards...
Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I try to use it as positive reinforcement any time the entire class is doing something well.

I (or a student) add marbles to our jar for the following reasons:
*fantastic line to lunch/recess
*outstanding cooperative group work
*transition to community circle or a specific group activity in a given amount of time
*100% on task behavior
*compliment from another teacher/school official
*good citizenship/behavior

If an unwanted behavior creeps into my classroom, I specifically note what I don't want to see in the next activity (no blurting, etc), and if everyone complies, I add extra marbles.
There is no rhyme or reason to when I add, nor is there a specific amount that I add each day. I try to keep it simple, and to help me remember, one of the assigned jobs in my classroom is Marble Caretaker!

At the beginning of the year, we work towards filling up the jar halfway, and I provide them with some sort of ice cream bar outside. It's a nice little teaser, and they get to have success with the jar quickly.
Then, I dump it out and we start all over. The next time we fill it up completely, the students choose the type of party they want. Very fun, and it's a great whole classroom motivator. Hope you find a routine that works for you!
Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

aec85

marbles
Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a big fan of the marble jar. I reward marbles for everyone being on task, compliments from other teachers, quiet behavior in line etc. Sometimes I will throw in a specific number of marbles. Other times I will put in a handful for really good behavior. I also will shake the marble jar as a warning when it is getting too loud. This usually quiets the students right down, but if it continues I will dump out a few marbles which the kids absolutely hate! I tell the kids that our goal is to fill the jar every 4-6 weeks and then we vote on a class reward such as PJ day, hat day, stuffed animal day, movie and popcorn, or game day.
aec85 is offline   Reply With Quote

MsTeachCA3

Old 09-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi pretty much do what others do with a few extra daily things.

DAILY:
~My student line up for each recess, when I get there, if no one is late and they are ready they get 5 marbles.

~I use a clip-system in my class if everyone stays on "great day" then they get 5 marbles. I also have groups. So at the end of the day I give a "final minute" for them to finish packing up and make sure their groups are neat. Then I check the groups and count out how many groups are ready = how many marbles they will get. So at that time, I give my group marbles then I make a big deal of looking at the clips and say GREAT DAY! So, 5 more marbles!

~As soon as we start something if they are all doing a great job, I make a big deal and say, "now that's worth marbles!! Keep it up!" I have my clips and marbles on the same side of the room they know if I start walking to that side to quiet down...they'll start saying "Shh, marbles!!!" [ I do take them away, I dig in the jar-make tons of noise and they quiet down..I only take like 1 or 2 away.]

SPECIAL:
~ A compliment from another teacher is a "handful". I always say..hmm was that a compliment?!!? And that helps me and them remember to get marbles!

~ At assemblies I tell them they are "worth a marble" to earn theirs. If they all do a great job then we get 23 marbles, if I have to remind a student we get 22. [We have monthly assemblies so this works well for me]

Honestly, I'm on my 6th year and sometimes I'll forget line marbles or something...but once they get used to it someone will always say..line marbles? If a teacher compliments them they'll all smile and say "compliment"!!! =) So it happens, we forget, it's not just you, sometimes we get distracted. But having my end of the day routine of the groups and great day make me reflect on the day-with them- and they aren't going to forget that I missed a compliment, great lines, or an assembly!!

MsTeachCA3 is offline   Reply With Quote