List of "boring" words - ProTeacher Community

laurenta

List of "boring" words
Old 09-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a good list of overused... "boring" words that I can use to help improve vocabulary in my students' reading and writing? We are going to work hard this year to find "other... more sophisticated" words to use. Thanks!

laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 09-11-2010, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have a list, but just wanted to thank you for implementing such a great (I mean fabulous...or extraordinary...or stupendous) idea!! I'll be watching the thread for the list too.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Old 09-11-2010, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

good
nice
cool
very
happy
really
bad big
hate
so
fun
because
but
awesome
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

how about
Old 09-11-2010, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am wanting to incorporate the overused words too. I have been trying to make a Wordle with the synonyms, but I have not had much luck. I was thinking of doing this in front of the kids on my laptop and projector and then printing them for a class poster.

Any thoughts on how to do this?
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

This activity is awesome!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Scroll down for Dead Words:
http://www.leapinginto5thgrade.com/writing.htm

It's from J. Cobb's website. She should be given all credit for this activity.

LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

JMonty

Heartbeat
Old 09-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Heartbeat by Sharon Creech has a great chapter called Forbidden Words. It says that a teacher put a list of forbidden words on the board and said that his students used these words too much. That they are empty words and that everyone should try to talk and write without using them. They are: very, like, ya know, uh, well, stuff, yeah. It is a cute chapter that could probably be read as an intro to a boring words unit.
JMonty is offline   Reply With Quote

laurenta

Let me expand...
Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

(I'm the original poster). I plan to make bingo cards. I made up a game called "Baby Word Bing." I will put the "baby" words in the middle of the bingo grid (9 boxes total... 3 up and 3 down). Every other week or so I will give a new card to the kids. Their mission is to fill all the empty boxes with new "sophisticated" (yes I'll teach them that word) words that mean the same thing as the baby word. They will be encouraged to search for words in their reading, in the thesaurus, on www.thesaurus.com, and more! Once they fill their card they will bring it to me. I will give them a sticker on their incentive card and then I will put the card in our "Word Wizards" jar. I will decorate a large jar with stars etc. I will do a drawing. The student whose card gets picked will get to go share the card with the principal. Also, I bought an electronic (led) name take that has a strolling marquee on it. It says "I'm a Vocab Whiz." That child will get to wear the name tag for the day! I bought the name tag off EBAY for four dollars! We will display the bingo cards around the room. Hopefully the kids will use this in their reading and writing! My principal loved the idea when I ran it past her. I just want to go ahead and premake a lot of the bingo cards. My first Baby Word Bingo card uses the word "run." They could say dashed, darted, zoomed, etc.!
laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote