What to do when work is finished - ProTeacher Community

HooCrew

What to do when work is finished
Old 09-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you have your students do when they finish their daily math assignment? During math we do a quick review of the previous lesson, then do a hands on activity to introduce the new concept. After the concept has been introduced and practiced they do a daily assignment to be turned in at the end of class. I have such a wide range of abilities this year that some of my kids are finished after 5 min and some of them work for 30 min. So what do you have those students do who are finished with the work after 5 or 10 minutes? I was thinking about some file folder games but was wondering if anyone else had some suggestions.

Thanks.

HooCrew is offline   Reply With Quote

sipping tea

Old 09-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have an "unfinished work" folder that the kids keep in their desk. Inside they have a book and flashcards. As the year progresses there is usually a lot of unfished work in it too. The students know when they are done with something to go right into that folder.
sipping tea is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our school uses Every Day Math so kids can work on their scrolls, play a math game that has been introduced or if available play EDM games on the computer.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Beachy Teach

Old 09-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Once my kiddos get finished they also work in their unfinished work folder. But I do have several kids that finish all their owrk on time so there isn't much left to do but read. So my kids work on their reading responses. This is where they read a book and have to write a letter to me in their journal that contains ":
  • title
  • author/illustrator
  • genre
  • if they thought it was easy, just right, or challenging
  • the main idea
  • three supporting details
It really lets me know if they are actually reading their book for meaning or not.
Beachy Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

missmel127

Challenge
Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Each student has a "Challenge Notebook" in their desks. When they finish a math assignment, I usually have a challenge problem written on the board that they must copy and answer (all work must be shown). It's usually a word problem so it takes a few minutes and also practices copying from the board. They can then draw a picture to match the problem or make up their own challenge. When they are done with the challenge, they can take out flashcards and practice math quick facts.

missmel127 is offline   Reply With Quote

gofish

Math Challenge or Math Games
Old 09-12-2010, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I usually have early finishers play math games that have been introduced to the class already. I also may have math challenge folders for students working above grade level. Usually I find problem solving math worksheets or activities. I sometimes provide them with math worksheets from the next grade also.
gofish is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

We do...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

AR Test
Basket Activity (Table basket filled with things that tie in with what we're studying)
Star Work (Folder with a fun packet of puzzles)
Problem of the Week (Math problem)
Read a Book/Shop for Books

If you scroll down on my site you will see a picture of the chart. It is titled "What should I be doing?" If there is a green dot, student may do that activity, if it has a red dot, the activity is unavailable.

http://teacherweb.com/TX/Copperfield.../gallery4.aspx
DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

jaijk717

Centers
Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a sheet of paper that is on their desk with 8 squares. Each square is numbered. On the whiteboard, I have the numbers 1-8 and I rotate them each day.

If the number is 1 on the board then they look on their sheets to see where they go on that day. I set it up so two kids work together in one center.

My centers are as follows:

read a book
listen to a book
computer
draw or color
math game
flashcards
file folder game
spelling practice
jaijk717 is offline   Reply With Quote