Chatty Students!!! - ProTeacher Community

ilvsunflower5

Chatty Students!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been teaching LA for 8 years and Math Lab for two years. Being that it is the second week of school, I am ready to pull my hair out! Some of my classes are disrespectful and just chatty!!! I've been calling parents, having "talks" with the kids, put names on the board, and give out tickets to students who do what they are supposed to. I always make sure I say aloud whatever the student has done to deserve the ticket (Ex: so and so is following directions...). Any ideas as to how I can tackle this? A lot of my issues occur in the afternoon after lunch time. I really desperate!!! Thanks!

ilvsunflower5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

Chatty
Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I posted this awhile back on the Seventh Heaven group and you can take a look at it:

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...scussionid=478

This year my groups are so much better. I think that in general they are simply more mindful, respectful, and responsive to authority, but what has really worked for me is time out in a nearby classroom. We are not allowed to put students in the hallway unsupervised and are encouraged by our new vice princ to arrange with a colleague for reciprocal time out space. Each period I have prearranged where they can go; I teach 6 and 7 so I made an effort to find a 7th or 8th grade room so they weren't going to the same grade level.

I actually put this into place around week 3, before the vice principal made suggestions in a meeting, because I ordered a book I read about on PT: Setting Limits in the Classroom by Robert MacKenzie:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=278563 They had it on the shelf in Barnes & Noble. I happened to open right to Chapter 4 and developed that plan, which I went in the next day (Monday) with. It has really worked because the first few days I sent someone out of each class immediately, no matter if it was the sweet little girl or the big mouth smart aleck. Now I do it about once a week. But as I said, I really think I finally having a dream year after three years of difficult groups.

Here is another recent post related to this as well:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=284197

Good luck!
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

I'm glad I'm not the only one
Old 09-18-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It seems everyone is having trouble with the chatters this year. I teach 9th grade and have a couple of tips that I use. I posted these on a couple other boards too.

Okay, if I am trying to teach and a couple students are chatting, I'll say "I'll wait." And I'll say nothing, cross my arms, and wait. It takes seconds for them to realize the spotlight is on them and they stop. It took a long time for me to just sit there while they talk, but making a scene only causes a disturbance and wastes time.

Or, if I am ready to move on and students are chatty or off task, I raise my hand - say nothing and put up my 5 fingers, ("give me 5" - students put their hand up to show they are following what I am doing) I count down to 1 silently. If I get to 1 finger and people are still chatting, those people get a consequence. 9 times out of 10 students who have followed the procedure will tell the chatting students "hey be quiet, she got her hand up." After they all get quiet I say "Obviously you guys are capable of being quiet since you did it just now when we practiced the procedure, so lets keep it that way." (I introduced the procedure at the beginning of the year and we practiced it) This takes self-control for the teacher and I must say I have to work on that constantly. The thing you want to do is yell, but that usually doesn't work anyway.

Personally, I am done discussing behavior with the students. We've only been in school for 1.5 months and I have said "In 9th grade, we should know better." "We are too old not to understand the rule" "You are in high school now" "This is not middle school" "I expect better from high schoolers" etc. too much times to count; it's pointless - some students don't care about how they should act - they will do as they please; therefore; I'm done discussing it - it's time for action.

Now if problems persist or for repeat offenders I use a step system.
1st offense - Warning
2nd offense - recess detention or punish work (I make my own punish work - I do have them write, but I also have them answer reflective questions - "Why was my behavior wrong?" "What can I do to improve my behavior?"
3rd offense - a visit to the counselor/parent phone call
4th offense - office referral

The biggest thing I can tell you is BE CONSISTENT, which is hard, I KNOW. I honestly don't always have the energy to go get the punishwork to give out due to Suzie and John whispering while I'm trying to teach. However, if the kids see you NOT taking action, they will take advantage. So, if your rule is no speaking when others are speaking, then you need to enforce that rule ALL THE TIME.
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote