Help! Kindergarten out of control! - ProTeacher Community

Botanica

Help! Kindergarten out of control!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a second year teacher and had similar problems last year. Apparently, I start out too loving and caring at the first of the year. Very soon half the class is out of control. This is an inner city group with mostly extremely poor home lives. They are exposed to sex, violence, and drugs at home. Few of them have more than a 3 minute attention span. I have 2 extremely ADHD children and one who would be manageable if the others didn't set him off. I have at least one child urinating on the bathroom floor several times a day. The chaos gets worse as the day goes on until time to get ready to leave when a third of the class is running around, getting into fights, knocking over chairs, standing on chairs or desks, and throwing crayons across the room. The other 3 kindergartens in my school have more children than I do, and the classrooms remain quiet with children on task. I don't know how to turn things around. I'm nearly 60 and can't do the constant barrage of entertainment routine - I'm just too slow. If I didn't need this job so badly, I'd quit. I really wanted to help children like these to have a better future, and I love each child individually. It's the group dynamics that overwhelm me. The kids do enjoy all the songs I teach them. What can I do?

Botanica is offline   Reply With Quote

cvolcteacher

For me, the answer would be in having dozens
Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

of procedures. I would be intent on structuring the classroom and all the routines in it. When the classroom is very structured in the sense that you've taught them how to behave with very precise procedures for every aspect of the day, then the kids can handle being in school even if they are coming from homes that are less than perfect.

I've written how I do this in a link that was posted this morning. I work in a similar type of school--high poverty etc. Perhaps it might be of help.

Here's that link if you're interested:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=285531

Kerry in BC
cvolcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Botanica

Thank you, Kerry
Old 09-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for the advice and the link. It should help me tremendously.
Botanica is offline   Reply With Quote

bionny2

Old 09-18-2010, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my first year teaching K ,. Last year I taught 6th grade so I can understand what you are going through. Have you tried positive reinforcement? Make sure to make a BIG deal when you see any child in your class behaving( like saying " I like the way, little Johnny is behaving. Thank you little Johnny. Let's give him a hand everyone!") and see if that motivates the others. I do that and have always done that with the lower grade levels, and it usually works. I also give them stamps on their hands if they behaved the entire week on Fri...but you can do this daily until you have more control . Make sure to have bells to help them know they are getting too noisy. I ring a bell when they are too noisy and then raise my two fingers. They can only raise their two fingers if they are quiet! Eventually everyone is raising their two fingers up in the air and the room is quiet! I hope this helps you a bit. Keep posting if you need help. We are here to help you!
bionny2 is offline   Reply With Quote