What is your cut off date for entering Kindergarten? - ProTeacher Community

Home Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

What is your cut off date for entering Kindergarten?

>

luckytoteach

What is your cut off date for entering Kindergarten?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach at a private school and they often listen to what the parents want more than what would be best for the child. Our public schools cut off date is Sept. 1. We've had students come to our school just to start K early and then go to 1st grade at the public school.
I wish parents weren't so eager to push their children. My older students (those that turn 6 during the fall) are more confident, can focus for longer periods of time and are often the leaders in the class.
Curious to hear what others have to say.

luckytoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Cut off date...
Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sept. 30 is our cut off date.
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Cut Off Date
Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I honestly don't know what ours is, or if we even have one. However, my sister went to private school for Kindergarten and First Grade because the public school would not let her in. She missed the date by eight days. The date was Sept. 15th, she turned five on Sept. 23rd. She had been going to a pre-school since she was 2 and 1/2 - 3 years old. I am seven years older than her and loved to play school so naturally, she was my student. She was ready. The pre-school teachers told my mom she would be too bored if she stayed another year. When my mom asked our pediatrician about it, he agreed that she was ready to go. It worked out very well for her. She never lagged behind her classmates. The only slack she ever got was that her friends got to drive before she did.

I'm not saying this because I don't agree with you. I've seen many students entered too early (one was in my class last year and we had planned on holding him back but he moved to another school) and it's usually that the parents don't want them home for an additional year. I'm just saying that it all depends on the child.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here it is 5 by March 1 2011
and they must be 6 by March 1 2011 to enter grade 1

It seems the US has much earlier cut off dates than we do.
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

mAanda

December 31 of the current year
Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have junior kindergarten here in Ontario, so for this year it is 2006 babies (4 years old). Anyone born after September is still 3, like my son. (December 1) I have to say, I think it depends more on the child. My son is more than ready to go, and some of the older kids are definitely not.

mAanda is offline   Reply With Quote

senior42

Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sept. 15th is our dealine thus if a child is not 6 by Sept. 15th they would not start first grade unless they were transfering from another state and I think we would give a good look at testing that was done before entering the child in first grade. State standards used to be so different.
senior42 is offline   Reply With Quote

queenie78

Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Child must be 5 by Sept. 1 to enter kindergarten.
queenie78 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 09-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here it is December 31. Child must be 5 by 31/12 to enter kindergarten.

I am always amazed by K teachers talking about their young immature students who have summer birthdays, for me those are my more mature students!
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug03

Cut-off date
Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our cut-off date is:

Students have to be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1 to enter Kindergarten. They have to be 6 years old on or before Sept. 1 to enter 1st grade.

I agree. I wish parents were not so eager to push their kids.
Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote

colormegreen

Old 09-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Bumped up to must be 5 years old by August 31st to begin K. It was October 15th?? until last year. This is North Carolina.

I grew up in Michigan and I believe it was sometime in December but can't remember for sure, I know that I was on the young end however did fine is school.

Nowadays I don't know if it's the age or just how a lot of the parents are with their children or lack of parental involvement with their children that is making the difference - I'm not saying ALL parents just more than it used to be in my opinion.
colormegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

Old 09-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Child must be 5 by Sept. 1 to enter kindergarten.
Ditto.

Quote:
Curious to hear what others have to say.
IMO I think the earlier the better. In fact, our students that go to our Pre-K program (4 by Sept. 1st) typically do much better in Kindergarten. I don't know if it is because parents are busier, or working more hours, but I don't think many of our parents work with their children on letters, numbers, colors etc. at home. However, I do agree that age can be a huge factor as far as maturity and attention-span.

saphire

california it is
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

December 2nd. You must be 5 by December 2nd to begin kinder. The state is talking about moving the date over a 3 year period of time to 5 by Sept. 1st and beginning a preK program in the public schools. I hope that this goes thru!!!!
saphire is offline   Reply With Quote

mls

Michigan
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We are 5 years old by December 1st. It seems like every time in the last 5 years I've had a November birthday (turning 5) they have ended up being retained for an additional year. Many weren't even for academic reasons. Socially, most just were not ready for 1st grade. Most were still struggling with routine in May. Unfortunately, we do not have universally free preschool, so many parents end up using kindergarten to serve that purpose. However, I have had years where I've had 4-6 year olds in September. There is a HUGE difference developmentally between those ages. It's hard to meet so many needs for 26 children, without any aides. I wish they'd change it to 5 by Spetember 1 or at least have some sort of readiness testing.

On a side note, kindergarten isn't even required by law in Michigan.
mls is offline   Reply With Quote