Help

ARCHIVE

calendar getting boring?

>

momfirst

calendar getting boring?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you add anything new to calendar time as the year progresses to keep it from being the same over and over and over each day???

momfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Each month is a little different because we have a new monthly song. I also sometimes add different things based on what we are learning in math. For example, we practiced shapes when we were working on geometry. I use pointers with seasonal erasers on the end and that is exciting for the kids. They also like to see the new calendar number shapes, which I change each month. We count down to special events, such as, Christmas and other holidays.
SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Sharon D. W.

Yes!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes I do! Otherwise I'd go mad... I also change the time of day as we don't always do it in the morning. What kinds of things do you cover as part of your calendar? So far this is what we do:

Today is day _____ of the 100 days of school (We will have a party in February with various centres. Our day usually falls the same week as Valentine's Day.)
Number w/ Straws and digits in the pocket chart
Base Ten Magents
Read Poem(s)
Calendar: What is the calendar number?
Calendar Pattern (All my calendar cover ups now have patterns. I bought them for the whole year last year it just made sense for me considering the time and cost it would be for me to make them myself.)
Day of the week bears. (We have hats that say Yesterday was..., Today is..., Tomorrow will be... which go on bears with the days of the week.
Jolly Phonics letter (s) (I cover 3 in a 6 day cycle until we cover all 42 English letters and letter sound combinations.) We will complete this by the end of January and that will make room for me to change it out with something else.
Count by 2, 5 or 10 all the way to _________. (We don't usually count all 3 ways each day. We change it up.)
Curves sticker? If I work out at Curves the students give me a sticker on my teacher calendar.
Word Wall Words: I introduce 3-5 words that are on our word wall. I do various things with these as time permits.
Hug, Handshake, High-Five I usually have 4 daily helpers chosen by table. Those that are there that day get to give me a hug, handshake or a high-five. I ihank them for being a helepr and we tally their choices on a small chart.
Other _______________________________ ____
I have the other blank just in case I have an idea I want to try or a reminder for the kiddos.

After the holidays in Jan/Feb. I plan to introduce a number of the day/week where we will make it in base ten and use digi block etc. I also will do the date in money - Jan. 8 would be one nickel and 3 pennies. We always try and use the fewest coins and then once ina while when I have time we will make the amount a "different" way.

I also have a can of math facts flashcards that we pull from and solve as time permits. I introduce telling time to the hour and measure ment through my calendar time.

I teach on a 6 day cycle. The first 3 days is "new" information but on Days 4, 5 and 6 it is all review so I often can have students at their tables completing work or making corrections before they join us for calendar.

Also I was very bored having it first thing every morning so I just don't.

Day 1: 11:20-11:55
Day 2: 1:00-1:45
Day 3: 11:20-11:55
Day 4: 1:00-11:55
Day 5: 2:45-3:25
Day 6: 1:00-1:45

We need about 30-40 minutes so sometimes we have 5-10 minutes of quiet work time or when I have door duty until 1:00 it takes a few minutes to really get in, take attendance and get settled.

I'd love to know what others are doing. I always like to have a few new ideas to play with.

sdwl
Sharon D. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

teachrchick

Old 12-22-2006, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow! Do you spend that much time on calendar or does that include a morning meeting component?
teachrchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 12-23-2006, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use Saxon Math which has a pretty structured Math Meeting component. In that we do calendar activities, counting, mental math, money, and weather. I also do other things like time, left and right, shapes and math facts depending on how much time we have. It takes us between 15-20 minutes if we're moving quickly. Days when we add in extras or if we're having a difficult behavior day it might take longer to get through. I use lots of songs and movement to keep it exciting for the students.

Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

lah125

calendar
Old 12-23-2006, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My daughter's teacher used to use coins to help count the days. A nice way to sneek in pennies, dimes, dollars.
lah125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

calendar
Old 12-23-2006, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do a lot of the same things as stated above. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer in my window. The kids check it and change my paper one on the calendar to match. It has slits in it with a red and white ribbon. Then they put the number cards up to match it. In the past, we kept track of the temperature every day for a month by filling in a graph. It was a nice visual to check how the weather changes. When it got below zero, it was a nice way to introduce/reinforce negative numbers. I have a season poster that I made with the months above it. They can see what season it is by checking it. The Dec. for example is half way between the fall and winter. I have graphics for the seasons and the number of the month there too.
I ask them questions like what date is the third Tuesday of the month and sometimes we look at patterns.
I have a calendar helper who leads the calendar like I used to at the beginning of the year. The calendar helper chooses each child for different parts by picking their stick. (Equity sticks-one color for boys, one for girls) I get to sit back and watch them. They like the responsibility.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Learned at a workshop
Old 12-25-2006, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Find different ways to represent the date. For instance, the 12th could be stated as a dozen eggs, the number of boys in our class, the time we have lunch, one dime and two pennies, the uniform number of a favorite sports player, a math sentence with the answer of 12, etc. The kids have to be creative because once a category is used (for instance a number sentence), you cannot state it in a different way for that date.
While giving the representation, the student also needs to identify the category.
liberty teach is online now   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Mrs. Meacham's Website
Old 12-25-2006, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

http://jmeacham.com/

I heard about her website from another post. It is amazing!! So much info.

I definitely want to do calendar binders next year with the kiddos. Maybe I could start when we come back.? Do you think this might be something I could do with first graders? Starting a calendar binder in January, I mean. After all, it is a new year.

Two things, though. I wanted to start doing a spelling notebook with them which takes a little time to show them how to do. Secondly, binders are not one of their supplies and I don't want to dish out the money for binders and plastic pockets.

Any ideas - thoughts?

Maureen

Last edited by msharkey; 12-25-2006 at 07:32 AM..
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

hummingbird71

binders
Old 12-26-2006, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our Kdg teacher started with the binders (from that site) at the beginning of the year. When I asked her (2 weeks into school) how it was going, she said she was ready to scrap the idea. I encouraged her to continue with it (she only has 8 kids).
After a month into school, I asked her again, how the binders were working. I figured that she had dropped the idea. Instead, she got a big smile on her face and told me that the kids are almost running the morning calendar routine by themselves (they all have it in front of them ).
I was tempted to do these binders also. But seeing that she is already doing them, I have been brainstorming ways to reinvent it for next year (since they are already familiar with doing them every morning).
Good luck with this. I would love to hear how it works for you

hummingbird71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sharon D. W.

calendar
Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

No this is our calendar time. How much time do you all spend on your calendar activities? What do you cover for your Morning Meeting Component that you mentioned?

sdwl
Sharon D. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk-1

Old 12-28-2006, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We do calendar daily. While we do some of the previously mentioned activites, others we do include:
Days we've been in school chart
Tally marks- to count by fives
Tooth graph- for thiose who have lost a tooth
Question of the day graph
Incredible equations using the date- today would be 28, all equations = 28
Odd and even
Chart the date with money

Incredible equations are the favorites.

By this time of first grade, I don't spend much time on yesterday, today and tomorrow. My first graders are bored with this.
iteachk-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lillacs

Lillacs

Calendar
Old 12-29-2006, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I do a different song each month to practice the days of the week and months of the year. I put up a different pattern each month that the kids have to guess as we go along. I started the year by putting up coins with the number of days, then added making change. I do skip counting (2, 5, 10) beginnning the year and then change to skip counting starting at a number other than zero. Easier starts like 45, 50, 55 then even harder like 23, 33, 43. The kids like the change and it keeps the higher kids learning.

hummingbird71

songs
Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Lillacs
Do you have a copy of those songs you use each month?
I would be interested in (attempting) to sing them with my children.
Thanks!
hummingbird71 is offline   Reply With Quote
teachny

teachny

Were you able to get a copy of these songs
Old 02-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hi:

I would love to get a copy of these songs too if you were ever able to get them.

Thanks.