Graphic Organizers for Kindergarten??? - ProTeacher Community

jacque/Wa/K-1

Graphic Organizers for Kindergarten???
Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My new literacy adoption uses graphic organizers from the first week. I have never used them before and I'm resistant to use them now--I envision that it will take the joy out of reading stories.

If you use these, please help me to see the value of them in K...tell me some of your most helpful hints. My adoption says things like, in Day 3's lesson, to have students 'write' the supporting details for the main idea on their graphic organizer...HELLO, they can't write yet....

jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teaching13

You have to try them!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They work!! I absolutely love them. No students can not write, but they can draw and they love it!!

I found scholastic has some cute graphic organizers for setting. T-charts and venn diagrams are perfect and are so simple to use in September for rhyming words, classifying letters and numbers, comparing math manipulatives, characters in stories, and yet the possibilities are endless.

Just a daily/weekly plan for you to try:
Monday-model by reading a story and YOU model how to fill in the graphic organizer
Tuesday-introduce story of the week with the skill you modeled on Monday, students wil give you the answers to use to fill in the graphic organizer
Wednesday-add more to the graphic organizer if possible
Thursday- whole group try graphic organizer together while you fill it out with them, so they know how to
Friday-try on thier own

Sometimes I may have to teach for two weeks before I allow them to fill in a graphic organizer, but it all depends on the story/concept or skill.

If you give me your email I can email you such a great organizer that I use for characters in stories. and even my lesson plan!!

One last thing...in September they may just want to watch you/assist you with filling them out...then in October try a simple one (venn diagram, t-chart) and by the end of the year they will be completing sequencing organizers and writing stories with them I PROMISE!!!

I hope this helps a little
Teaching13 is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

These sound great! Thank you for sharing
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

how you implement them! We use a box and t chart in science, and I have also tried the Frayer graphic organizer in math/science. Works great for vocab words. Again, you are right - draw pictures - few words in beginning and kick it up a notch each time!!!

Example/non-example is our best way of teaching as the brain automatically hunts for same and different - hard wiring this through the Frayer model...

http://www.longwood.edu/staff/jonesc...corg/fraym.htm

I will pm you to send you my email as I would love to have your organizer!

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Teaching13

Thanks Bee
Old 09-26-2010, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will send you the rest...I have a great one at school too-I'll be in touch later this week
Teaching13 is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

Sounds great!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Looking forward to them!!!

Bee Happy

BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
kteachersmj

kteachersmj

Kindergarten teacher
Old 07-10-2011, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This sounds great! Thanks for sharing. I'm taking a class right now and one of the topics is using graphic organizers with K students. Can you share the ones you use-especially the one that focuses on characters in stories? kteachersmj#yahoo.com
Thanks!