IEP cheat sheet - ProTeacher Community

lak87

IEP cheat sheet
Old 09-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a form they use to send out to gen ed teachers like a cheat sheet about their kiddos? We are doing more inclusion and I want teachers to be informed about what each kid needs are. I really dont want to reinvent the wheel so any help would be great!

lak87 is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

May have one on my school computer.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I will check tomorrow, and let you know. I used to spend all sorts of time creating these lovely IEP-at-a-glance, but they just got put in a pile and forgotten. What I do now is provide copies of the IEP progress reports (teachers who attend IEP meetings should take their teacher copies with them), and computerized assessment scores. These get put into piles, but at least I provided the basic data and didn't spend lots of time doing it. In my experience, the best way to inform g.e. teachers about what kids' needs are is through real live actual talking together. You really can convey a lot of information in very short conversations.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

I'm not sure
Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

what you mean by "cheat sheet", but I always give each gen. ed. teacher the accomm/mod page (sometimes I highlight the accomm/mod), the IEP minutes and areas served info. I also give any hearing or communication accommodations--usually ones written up by the SLP. I do this at the beginning of the year---

I have not had good luck with teachers following these....and teachers also think they can follow them or not, depending on whether it's convenient for them. I had to advocate for a student getting the school wide behavior system modified last week and you'd have thought I'd asked for the moon .

Anyway, I have thought about an all-encompassing--one sheet--easy to read document. If anyone has anything like this, I'd love to see it. Our documents are pretty clear in my district, but as far as some of the transfer students we get---their IEPs are really messy and hard to read.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

sha-nay-nay

Modification Files
Old 09-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are required to provide the child's teachers - gen ed, art, music, pe, etc....a copy of the child's front page (includes service minutes, what they will receive services for/when they will be in gen ed (subject wise) and any additional services - OT, PT, Speech, etc), the second page which includes their present levels of performance, as well as the pages in the IEP that include their modifications and accommodations.
sha-nay-nay is offline   Reply With Quote

lak87

thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks everyone this is my first year so I was just trying to make things easier for the gen ed middle school teachers I work with. I will sit down and talk with them about the kids and hopefully they will reference the IEPS like they are supposed to. Principal is going to have a PD on inclusion so hope that will help too!

kshaw

Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If your IEP's are computerized, you may have a form that is easy to print off that has the info you are wanting to provide. In my county, we can print out an IEP snapshot which gives only the highlights (goals, objectives, modifications. . .) Maybe play around with your system a bit and see if something like that exists - it will save you a lot of time.
kshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

jaboy

IEP cheat sheet reply
Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't know but I try to collect attendance, current grades, behavior information, through an online questionnaire, it's not the greatest but it is a quick way to connect with gen. ed teachers. The district uses easy IEP so I make an IEP at a glance for each student's team and email it to the teachers. Then we have a common core to talk about. It works most of the time.
jaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

bklvr

Iep
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I know it's more work, but I type up a sheet for each individual child with the name, grade, accommodations & modifications. I then type out each gen ed teacher's name w/ a space for their signature. I discuss each sheet with the appropriate teachers and have them sign. A copy is provided to each teacher as well. This way it holds the teacher responsible and they are more likely to "remember" to accommodate and modify. It also proves that we have discussed the needs. I keep all in a grade-level file. Hope this helps!!
bklvr is offline   Reply With Quote

lilpunkin406

Cheat Sheet
Old 09-29-2010, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't use a specific form for my "cheat sheet" but I do make them every year. I just open a new document in Word and summarize the IEP. In the end, it looks something like this:

Jane Doe
Classification: Autism
Related Services: OT (2/6 days 30 minutes), Speech (4/6 days 30 minutes), Shared Aide (300 minutes)
Goals:
1. I'd summarize the goal here
a. I'd summarize the objectives here

Test Modifications:
1. Time and a half
2. Location with minimal distractions

Program Modifications:
1. Provide Visual Cues
2. Provide Visual Daily Schedule

I like the idea of having the teachers sign it after you review it with them. Although, in my district, administrators can see who is looking at IEPs, when, and for how long (the IEPs are online).
lilpunkin406 is offline   Reply With Quote

philliesphan

Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

bklvr - I love your idea! This year my district restructured their schools. Some of the teachers never worked with students who have IEP's. In the past I simply printed the mod/adap page, highlighted what the student must receive in the gen. ed. classroom and briefly discuss it with each teacher. However, there is no proof of holding anyone accountable except me! From now on, I will make the gen. ed. teacher sign the mod/adap page and keep it for my records (and theirs!). Thanks for sharing
philliesphan is offline   Reply With Quote

terkom

Cheat Sheets
Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I make up a booklet using folders. I give every adult in the building one (cafeteria workers, custodians, special area teachers, bus drivers). It has a sheet for every child who is identified. On the sheet is their disability, if they are on meds, if they should have on glasses, then just a blurp of what they might see in the classroom and how to handle it. That way when they are coming through the lunch line and are a little slow in picking out their selection the people know not to jump all over them.
terkom is offline   Reply With Quote

lak87

Awesome Ideas!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas!