sick student teacher - ProTeacher Community

signing out

signing out

sick student teacher
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am the team leader on my grade level, and we have a student teacher in my colleague's classroom. I like the ST and she seems to do a good job. Well Friday she came to school really sick. You could just tell she was sick by just looking at her. She apparently has the flu. Well at lunch I pulled her aside and asked her why she came to school so sick. She said both her university supervisor and her cooperating teacher (my colleague) told her she can't miss any days even for sickness. Her US even told her to go to school sick!! I am so mad at the US for encouraging the ST to come sick so she can get other teachers and students sick. I told the ST as the team leader I am telling her to go home as I don't want others to get sick, and told her she needs to get better before she can effectively teach. While ST is important, taking care of yourself is also just as important. Well my colleague was NOT happy I sent her ST home. I told her to take a good look at the ST. She's visibly sick and does not belong here until she's better. I told my colleague not to allow a ST to be there when she's coughing and sneezing all over the place. I may even contact the US as well cause we get a lot of student teachers from this university and I want to make sure she knows that we don't tolerate encouraging teachers or student teachers coming in so sick. I know I probably overstepped boundaries by telling a student teacher who wasn't mine to go home. But it was clear her cooperating teacher wasn't going to say a word and was fine with and even encouraged her coming sick. I felt as the team leader I needed to speak up about this.

giapez80

Sick ST
Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did this last year when I was student teaching. I woke up in the morning not feeling great-sore throat, sneezy, runny nose, headache. I figured it was because I slept with the windows open (and probably had the fan on too, the last week of October) or it was sinus' and I'd be fine. But once I got to school (even before the kids got there) I was getting worse. My CT told me to go to the nurse, and she told me I had the beginning of H1N1. I had already missed my "free" days (the # of days I could miss without having to makeup those days) and didn't want to leave. I tried to make it through, but couldn't do it. I left about 1/4 of the way through the morning, and didn't make it back up until the next week.
I think you did the right thing by sending her home. I also think that you need to discuss with your colleague(s) about this, and let them know exactly what you said here. Student teaching is stressful enough, without making the ST come in feeling and looking miserable, and possibly making the other teachers and students sick.
giapez80 is offline   Reply With Quote

guapasarah

Sick
Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have three free days as well, but if your sick that is a totally different situation. Our US tell us not to push ourselves becuase it will just make it all that much wrose. Plus you can get your students or CT sick, and thats never good. I dont believe that over stepped. I think it is crazy that the US told her she couldnt miss.
guapasarah is offline   Reply With Quote

dcaruccio

illness
Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm going to have to agree with the above posts. Although I see that missing student teaching days is an issue, when the children's health is at risk there needs to be something done about it. I do not think that the ST should be there interacting with children when the flu is so easily spread. In my opinion you did the right thing by sending the ST home, it was in the children's best interest.
dcaruccio is offline   Reply With Quote

queenmom09

Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had many student teachers over the years and there is NO reason for a student teacher to come to school ill...it is one thing if they are missing because they are skipping or whatever, but it is another thing if they are truly sick...no one should be exposing the kids or other staff to whatever they have...I would be really mad if the US told my ST to come sick...and what is wrong with the ST supervising teacher...what a stupid rule!!!!

queenmom09 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingLover

Just Did the Same Thing
Old 10-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I dealt with this very issue today. All weekend, I felt miserable -stuffy nose, sore throat, etc. I don't think I'm contagious - I have no fever, and I suffer from terrible seasonal allergies. The temps have been fluctuating a lot lately, too, so that always ends up making me feel bad.

I went to school this morning, just because I'm so worried about missing any days. Attendance is very important - and we are only alloted 5 days to miss, including sick days, or we will not pass our student teaching assignment.

Well, I was there for a couple of hours - but my CT was NOT happy. She understood that I wasn't contagious - but she told me that I shouldn't have to work if I feel so terrible. She begged me to go home. I finally gave in and left. I figured missing half a day wouldn't be too bad.

I definitely agree that there should be an attendance policy in place - or there would be those that would constantly miss. I also believe that being sick is different - regardless if we're contagious. Trying to teach 23 first graders with hardly any voice, a head ache from Hades and congestion is NOT fun.
TeachingLover is offline   Reply With Quote

queenmom09

Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I missed Friday, Monday, and now I am going to be gone tomorrow too, because I have little or no voice. I went to the dr. and it is a virus, so no meds...if you can't talk, you can't teach! Otherwise I feel fine...I even went and talked to my principal today and she basically said that I do not belong in school...it will just make it worse...

good for your supervising teacher to send you home...how productive can you be if you are feeling terrible...
queenmom09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Daniel price

sick student teacher
Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have annual casual leaves. but sickness is entirely a different situation,of course. we cant predict about it. it is US's or other superiors responsibility to allow leave for their subordinates.
Daniel price is offline   Reply With Quote