Text Structure - ProTeacher Community

Tiger73

Text Structure
Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have good ideas on how to teach text structure? sequential order, description, simple cause & effect, and simple procedure

Tiger73 is offline   Reply With Quote

doglover6124

Key Words
Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I ususally try to teach key words that indicate certain text styles. For example, when teaching sequenceing, I have my students look for time order words. When they see time order words they Know a new event is happening. When teaching cause and effect, I have them look for signal words like: if...then, because, and so. If you go online and search "text structure key words" you can find key words for other text styles. After you have taught a few different text styles, give your students a passage to read and see if they can identify the text style by looking for key words.
doglover6124 is offline   Reply With Quote
owllisa

owllisa

teacher
Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Go to slideshare.net and find free powerpoint that does a real good job! I wish you well. Simple procedure is omitted however.

Risa

Text Structures-E. Kissner's materials
Old 01-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have had great success using FREE materials I found by Emily Kissner on www.teacherspayteachers.com.
Quote:
Go to slideshare.net and find free powerpoint that does a real good job!
Kissner also has her materials on http://www.slideshare.net, so this may be the person's work the previous poster is referring to.

I used her powerpoints and as we went though them, my students made a 'flip book' foldable with the information. She also made passages students can read and label with the text structures. These were not only a big help with identifying a text structure but also with helping them understand how use their knowledge of text structures to write a better formatted composition depending on the structure they were to be using.

Last edited by Risa; 01-30-2011 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: added info
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote