What does writing look like - ProTeacher Community

sipping tea

What does writing look like
Old 10-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you that use a writer's workshop approach, what does your block look like? What are your procedures like? Do you do a mini lesson and then let the kids go off writing? Do you ever assign topics? How long is your block?
Thanks

sipping tea is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 10-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I start my writers workshop with a mini lesson on a specific skill.
My mini lessons are based on:
* Procedures for writing workshop
* 6 traits
* Grammar/Mechanics
When I let my students back to the carpet I remind them of the mini lesson concept and encourage them to try using it in their writing. Sometimes I will ask them to do a specific task. For example, we just talked about bold beginnings , so I had my students look at the beginning of one of their stories and rewrite it using one of the techniques we just talked about.

After the mini lesson my students go back to their tables for quiet 10. I turn on a classical music CD and they write (in silence) for 10 minutes. I also write during this time!

When I turn the CD off, students know they are allowed to talk to friends at their table to help them with ideas, word choice, etc. We do this for about 10 minutes. I meet with individual students at this time.

Share - We spend 5 - 10 minutes sharing writing. I usually notice something in the writing of one of the students I met with and have them share if they are willing. My students LOVE to share what they wrote.

I have about 45 minutes for my Writer's Workshop.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jule

Old 10-10-2010, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So, does that mean your mini lesson is about 15 minutes?
Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am still struggling with making my mini lessons "mini" lol My students are very talkative and ask a lot of questions and I am finding that I get on a tangent and keep going. It is a work in progress!

Plus, they really stink at transitioning! It takes them forever to get from the meeting area to their seats.

We have been working on both of these things, once we get that down they will have longer to actually write.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

justgetnstart

Old 10-10-2010, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my first year of teaching and WW is the one thing that is going SO good for me! I set my workshop up somewhat like choppie. I do a mini lesson on various things. Several Lucy lessons, a few Write Traits and some other odds and ends thrown in like sentence structure and so on. We only spend about 10 minutes on the ML and if I go over, I will skip it the next day so they have ample time to write! I decided not to pressure myself into doing a mini lesson everyday because they are always days when stuff comes up and my kids LOVE to write so I want to make sure they have plenty of time for that. We don't do the quiet write although I do like that idea. They are free to chat quietly and if it gets too loud, I move it to silent. I conference with students everyday and basically just check in and offer suggestions. Every Friday, we do our Author Share and anyone who is willing to share does so on my ELMO projector. They LOVE this! All week long they focus on what they're going to share and how they can make it better so it's ready for Friday. My next step is figuring our how to go about starting the publishing step...any suggestions there?!?!

justgetnstart is offline   Reply With Quote