how to key locks the same, and should I? - ProTeacher Community

Seana

how to key locks the same, and should I?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just bought a knob and deadbolt for a french door for our new house. There are two other doors on the house. How do I get them all keyed the same (so as not to have the same key as the previous owner for the other two doors). Do I take all the knobs and deadbolts out of the other two doors or do I have a locksmith come? Is there a reason *not* to key my locks all the same? Sorry, I am full of questions, going full throttle here trying to get all this stuff done!

School Time

locksmith
Old 10-12-2010, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had the two locks on my front door have the same key for 25 years without a problem. A locksmith did it for us. Each door in my house has different keys.

cntryheart

I can answer
Old 10-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

about keying the locks the same. It depends on the lock. Some brands of locks can be rekeyed. For this to happen, all the locks need to be the same brand and you would need a locksmith to do it. The simplest do it yourself way would be to replace all of the knobs and deadbolts with locks that are already all keyed the same. I know that you can buy them in sets of two knobs/deadbolts at Lowe's because I have purchased them. You may have to go online to order more than that but I would check Lowe's or Home Depot first.

PrivateEyes

We bought new doorknobs/dead bolts
Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

in a kit, which were already all keyed with the same lock. The front, back and garage entry door are all keyed the same. The only different lock is the deadbolt on the front door, which is a keyless entry lock.

prec0ci0us

Private Eyes
Old 10-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I hope you check the batteries often of your keyless entry lock. One weekend a few years ago I was taking care of a friends 2 kids and her then boyfriends 2 kids (who is now her husband) while they went for a work conference / weekend getaway. I picked the older two up from school and then the grandmother dropped off the younger two. They had a keyless entry lock and no one had keys. My luck had it that that was the weekend that they batteries died in the keyless entry. I had to call a locksmith. I couldn't go anywhere because the car seats for the younger two were inside. I had to call and have pizza delievered and we ate outside while the locksmith got us in. Four hours, $200, and a full blown headache later we were finally inside. To make matter worse this was the first time I had met the two younger kids (her now-husbands children).

The point of my story is please make sure you check the batteries - or have a key as backup.

To the OP - if the existing locks are older I would suggest just replacing them with a set. Our garage door, french doors, and front door all use the same key.

Seana

a set
Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow, I didn't even see sets! Alright, I'll look at those and will have to do so quickly because DH already left my lock out for the contractor to put in the french door. I didn't know that all of the locks had to be the same brand to be re-keyed either. Thank you. I can always find the best information here.

Ima Teacher

Old 10-12-2010, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My house has five doors to the outside. Four of the five doors were already keyed the same. And they all had deadbolts that required a key to lock/unlock even from the inside. I'm WAY too claustrophobic for that, so I bought new locks with a latch on the inside.

I could only find a package of three that matched, so I bought two additional locks that were the same brand. I took ALL of them to the locksmith and told him to make them all match. It wasn't expensive, and now all of my doors have the same key.

PrivateEyes

Keyless
Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, we have often worried about the batteries on the keyless, but it is SOOOOO convenient. We do have a key on the keychain just in case. We've seen that one coming.

I'm also looking into replaying the keyless with a mechanical keyless lock which doesn't require batteries. It's only slightly more expensive, and then we won't have to worry about that so much.

trishg1

Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

DH had our house & MIL's keyed the same. It's great for us, fewer keys to carry. I also have a key safe on my back door (like the ones real estate agents use). One of my cars has a key broken in the ignition- All I have to do is spin the ignition column to start it, so when I drive it, I don't even need to carry keys.