treasures new edition - ProTeacher Community

mbuk

treasures new edition
Old 10-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have activiites,powepoints, worksheets for the newest second grade edition of Treasures? The second unit is about Heroes and the first story is "Babu's Song" Thanks

mbuk is offline   Reply With Quote

airica9

Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am starting that new unit 2 next week and Babu's song is our first story. What is it that you are looking to find? My school district just bought it new this year. I can try to help you out.
airica9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

Treasures
Old 10-14-2010, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is our first year to use Treasures, but it is the Texas version. There are some great sites on here with Treasures, but it is the Floridaa version. Many of the stories are different.

First of all, I am not liking this series at all. I miss my old basal, which was Scott Foresman. This new series is very difficult, and I have a really good class. This week's story is written at a 3.6 level (9 weeks into 2nd grade - go figure). Dona Flor is the name of it. YUCK!

ANYWAY, one activity we did with Babu's Song is had the kids make a soccer ball out of white construction paper. We gave them a hexagon shape and they traced it several times on black construction paper to glue on their soccer ball. On the back, they had to work with partners and find proper nouns anywhere in their library books, basals, etc. They turned out really cute.

Now Dona Flor. . no ideas came to me this time.

Are you in Texas?
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 10-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I took the Florida resources and placed them in the order of the California Treasures and created a few others that were different stories:

I have a vocabulary workshet and vocabulary dominoes as well as vocabulary powerpoints; however, they are at school right now.

If you are working on them now, just google 2nd grade treasures and you'll be able to use the Florida resources.
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

pkteach2000

Texas Treasures
Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm in Texas and I'm with you.....I'm not liking this series at all right now. The main reason is that we cannot seem to get all our resource materials. Up until today, all we had were student books, practice books and teacher manuals. It has been a nightmare trying to figure out how to teach without the materials listed in the lessons. As for the story, Dona Flor this week.....double YUCK! I have a low class and this story was a nightmare.

pkteach2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

mbuk

treasures
Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are in the same boat. We do not like this series so far. There is too much to cover and to do a good job with it. I have the average to a little above average and I find it difficult to finish it all in a week. I know the publisher says you do not have to finish it all but there is so much to look over and try to figure out what to use. I am finding this year that every week I am spending a few hours to get ready for the next story. You mentioned you have a teacher's manual. We were told that there was not a teacher's hardcopy manual and that to get the answers you have to go use the teacher's works plus dvd and find the answers and print them up for the workbook pages. Also we still use overhead projectors alot so I am making many transperencies for every story. In addition the transperencies only have page numbers so you have to go back to the contents page and find which ones go with each story. I could go on and on needless to say I and many of the other teachers at my school are very upset with this series. I wish we had gone with harcourt brace's story town but it was not my decision.
I have looked at the Florida treasures' but again they do not seem to have this unit on hereos listed. Any ideas. thanks
mbuk is offline   Reply With Quote

pkteach2000

Manual
Old 10-16-2010, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have not one, but six hardcopy teacher's manuals to treasures here in Texas. Now the problem with that wonderful manual is there are no answer keys to go with any of the assessments, practices pages, etc. I'm fortunate in that I have an elmo projector in my room, but like you, I have to hunt each week for ones I need. How simple would it have been to group it by story? These publishers really should ask us teachers how we need it set up!! Lol!

patticakes103

treasures
Old 10-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

this is my 2nd year with it, it is easier this year. I also goggled Treasures and got some good ideas. The main story is not to teach reading but to do whole class concepts. The small readers that go with it is to teach reading. The Teachers Resource book is a help. If you only have the DVD go to the anc and all the manuals etc are there. I have a projector in my room and use the DVD's a lot.
I teach all grammar on Wed and Fri.

vocabulary,Spelling and phonics on Mon and Wed. If anything gets passed on it is Thursday and Wednesday.

The grammar goes very fast and we play games and use task cards a lot for reviews. We also use week 6 to do catch up on everything we missed.

It will get easier esp once you are organized. Last year was my first in 2nd (from K) and it wasn't until Unit 4 I felt comfortable with the program. I feel that this year I have a much better understanding of the curruculum. BTW my class is 60% English Lang Learners and they do love the stories.
patticakes103 is offline   Reply With Quote

pkteach2000

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for this information. It is always helpful to hear from someone who is using it. I shouldn't be such a grouch about it and do like you.....find ways to make it work. I think I'm trying to do everything every day and it's killing me. Especially since I also have a new math curriculum to work with.