ideas for pre-k social studies - ProTeacher Community

puzzlemom

ideas for pre-k social studies
Old 10-14-2010, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I am actually helping my high school daughter with a homework project for an early childhood education class. She is working with 3 and 4 year olds and needs to do a social studies lesson on the theme of fall (no reference to Halloween). I teach high school ESE and am at a loss for her. They are too young for geography which is where I was going. This project is due by Wednesday of next week and she/we are stumped.
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

puzzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about migrating birds..... identify birds/science. Then dig out some maps and a globe and sticker dots to where they spend their summer and winter. Get out the rulers (or 'inchworms') and compare the different journeys.

We have been doing Monarch butterfly migration (dang things are still hatching!)
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

ABCand123s

Old 10-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My first thought were leaves and comparing them from different regions. However, if she has to actually teach the lesson she probably isn't going to have enough time to get leaves from different regions. Or a nature hike outside to collect a few leaves and a lesson on why leaves fall. This might be a bit too "sciencey" though...
ABCand123s is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How about something around farms? That can include all the fall fruits we always talk about (apples, pumpkins, etc.), as well as farm animals and farmers. It seems like almost every early childhood class has an annual apple- and/or pumpkin-picking field trip, so why not include that in the plans (if they're hypothetical)?
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Can she do the Mayflower/Pilgrims/Native Americans?

learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote
jennie2665

jennie2665

Social Studies Ideas
Old 10-17-2010, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Keep in mind at the preschool age, the lessons need to be on familar subjects for the children. Below are some guidelines/benchmarks that preschoolers need to be working on for social studies. This might make it easier to come up with something. Try not to think broad, but to bring the lesson back in to the community and local surroundings of the children. Hope this helps a little.

Gathering and interpreting information about families in the community

Collecting and interpreting information about people's roles in the community (postman, fireman, doctors, etc)

Developing knowledge and understanding about self and family (roles of mom, dad, grandparents, siblings, theirself, etc)

Recognizing and understanding similarities and differences among people (same and different within classroom--could even bring in math and do a graph chart on a number of difference/same characteristics i.e.: eye color-who has brown eyes, blue eyes, etc)