Does RTI or Tier 3 replace special education services? - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

tforman

Does RTI or Tier 3 replace special education services?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have some students who have already been identified as having a learning disability with reading. Should they be receiving Special Education Services in addition to the tier 2 and 3 stuff?
Thanks for the answers!

tforman is offline   Reply With Quote

mgraham507

Not sure
Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is my understanding that those students should still be getting the Tier 1 and Tier 2 instruction. However, in my opinion...there are not enough hours in the day. With Tier 3, the Sped teacher took over. With Tier 1 and 2, we tried to accomodate as much as possible.

Probably doesn't answer your question.
mgraham507 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

RTI and IEP
Old 10-15-2010, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, if students have been identified with a learning disability they should be receiving special education services in addition to what you're doing in the classroom. All students receive Tier 1 instruction - that is just your good teaching practices. A few students should be receiving Tier 2. Our district says the lowest kids, whether they're in Sped or not, should receive those. Tier 3 is only for students who did not make progress with Tier 2 (plus Tier 1 which everyone is still receiving) and will probably be just 1-3 students. Tier 3 is only done after Tier 2. In our district Tier 2 and 3 Interventions can be provided by the Sped teacher if they fit with the IEP goal, but do not have to be.
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

tforman

Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the posts. I have been researching and I believe that RTI is meant to be a measuring tool to use to help identify students with a disability. Like everyone else, I have students already identified special ed. for reading; therefore, I am under the assumption that they should be receiving their sped services in addtion to all of this TEIR stuff. Would you be concerned if your sped students were only receiving teir 1 and FastForward?
tforman is offline   Reply With Quote

magnolia57

Old 10-15-2010, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This inclusion/mainstreaming sure has me confused. I have four special ed kids in my room and mine are receiving services from sped too.

Can this BE more confusing? Especially on top of all the other 29 million things elementary school teachers have to attend to! I also have 3 with ADHD and none of them are on meds so I spend a lot of my day redirecting and peeling them off the walls.

magnolia57 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelfrog

my understanding:
Old 10-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It could go either way..depending on how it is documented on the IEP:

Option one:
Student's IEP calls for 30 minutes of Specially Designed Instruction in the area of Reading in a small group setting in a pull out model.
(This can be said to be the student's RtI time, although if that is so that instruction would need to be tracked as progress on IEP goals and objectives)

Option two:
Student's IEP calls for 60 minutes of Specially Designed Instruction in the area of Reading in a small group settin gin a pull out model, of which 30 minutes is provided by classroom teacher as part of RtI instruction, and additionally 30 minutes are provided by the Special Education Department. (In this one the Special Education Department would the responsible for tracking student progress on IEP goals and objectives)

At least, that is what our district is saying.... Good luck!
angelfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

maryw

magnolia57
Old 10-16-2010, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Good Luck- sounds like my class last year. I laughed at the peeling them off the wall part. glad you can maintain your sense of humor- we all need it when we have a difficult class.
maryw is offline   Reply With Quote

tigerpride

Sp. Ed. Services
Old 10-17-2010, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have been told that Tier III consist of students who have been identified or may need to be identified. They should be getting Tier I instruction and Tier III instruction. With inclusion our sp ed teacher comes in the classroom while I teach for 30 min. and leaves. If any identified students need help she's there during that 30 min. time period. The students are with me for Tier I (90 min.) and get an additional 30 min. of RTI time with the sp ed teacher(Tier III).
tigerpride is offline   Reply With Quote