Michael Heggerty's Phonemic Awareness ?

>

The Bee Tree

Michael Heggerty's Phonemic Awareness ?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Michael Heggerty's Phonemic Awareness

This question is in response to U'dell' message-

Do you use the blue book from his program? Is every lesson set up on a weekly lesson plan as to the one that is shown on the web site?

I need to help the kids who scored very, very low on the DIBELS.

Thanks so much!
The Bee Tree

The Bee Tree is offline   Reply With Quote

cvolcteacher

I am using that blue book....
Old 10-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

for the first time in my Kindergarten.

In answer to your question, yes, every lesson for the full year is set up in the same style you see on the sample page. The lessons increase in difficulty of course but the format and activities remain the same. After a while the repeating of the oral sentences disappears as an activity but it is mentioned that the teacher continue this activity if that seems necessary. In that case you would have to write your own sentences for the kids to repeat as none are given.

So far, I think this program is going to be very effective. I see great improvement from day to day already and I just started it a couple of weeks ago. At first the kids weren't able to sit for all the activities and currently we are still only doing about 75% of them each day but it's going faster and their attention span is growing. I do it first thing every morning and am thinking about repeating it in the afternoons. The kids like it and it's true what he claims... that it only takes about 10 minutes.

Kerry in BC
cvolcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hockeyrabbit

Old 10-17-2010, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi-

Can either of you give me some more input about this program? How much prep time does it take, what are the essential learning tasks, and how is student engagement? I ask because I would need to purchase the blue manual myself and its pricey.

Also, my district uses Fountas and Pinnel phonics book which has their own scope and sequence and does a nice job of teaching skills, however, the lessons are long. Would this blue book add to this component?? How would it fit into my curriculum teaching? Are the lessons only 10 minutes??

Thoughts? Thanks!
Hockeyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiley1985

Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hello,

Heggerty's blue book requires zero prep time. It is one of those Teacher Manuals that literally tells you exactly what to say however, because they are short phonemic awareness lessons it isn't too bad that they are scripted.

When I used the program, the student engagement was pretty high because we went quickly re....I did not do everything. I would complete a few activities from each box (blending, onset fluency, etc). By skipping a few words from each box, I was able to keep the lesson to 10 minutes. Heggerty includes lots of motions so the program pulls in auditory and kinesthetic learners.
Smiley1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Udell

I love it!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with all the other posts! No prep time is required. (however it takes a few weeks for the teacher and the students to become comfortable and "good" at it). Every lesson is set up just like the sample but the lessons are get more and more difficult as the year progresses. I do the program every day with my whole class and it makes a huge difference in their reading and writing. Your low kids could model off of the ones that already have some of the skills in place. I am able to get my lessons done in 15 minutes. I go fast and I take a wiggle break in between page one and page two. I agree with the teacher that says to make it as active as possible. I try to be as dramatic as possible while I teach it which keeps the kids engaged. Our district purchased it two years ago and last year I did a quick training for teachers that couldn't make Michael's workshop. I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Udell is offline   Reply With Quote

LivieLou

Pricey!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just looked up this book and it is 69.99! WOW! Is it really that good?
LivieLou is offline   Reply With Quote

Udell

Old 10-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I see great results every year! The whole program is call and response so you have to make it fun to keep it a time of day that kids enjoy. You also have to be willing to give up 10 to 20 minutes of your time each day. The teachers in our district that went to the professional development session that Michael taught really embraced the program and were excited to implement it. They have been very successful. Some teachers felt it was one more piece they had to add in to an already busy day so they may have felt frustration or discontent.

Hockeyrabbit

Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi-

When you say "results" can you just explain a little more of what you are seeing? Like do you feel the kids are segmenting words well, they are fluent in letters/sounds etc.? The $70 price tag has be iffy to purchase. Like I said, I use the Fountas and Pinnell book which has built in lessons that cover a scope and sequence of PA skills..is this the same thing??
Hockeyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Udell

Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I haven't used the Fountas and Pinnell program so I can't compare. Maybe some of the other teachers that use Heggerty are also familiar with that program and can speak to that issue better than I can. If you haven't looked at the sample lesson on his website, I would suggest doing that first. One reason I like it, is that you are working on each phonemic awareness skill every day. You rhyme, identify beginning sounds, identify ending sounds, add phonemes, delete phonemes, blend, and segment every day. The scope and sequence of the program is scaffolded and covers all of the skills kindergarteners need to be exposed to. Some other programs follow a scope and sequence that lead you through all of these activities but you do not practice each skill each day. For struggling learners, it seems that the every day repetition is really important for mastery. As far as results, each year we give a phonemic awareness assessment at the beginning, middle, and end of the year. The assessment is out of 32 points and covers rhyming, segmenting, blending, identifying beginning sounds and identifying ending sounds. By February, 75% of my students were scoring 30+ points on the assessment. By June, all of my students scored more than 29 points with the exception of 2 students. You see this knowledge transfered into reading and writing as well. With the exception of 3 of my ELL students, all students were reading at or above grade level and writing three to five sentences spelled with phonetic beginning, middle, and ending sounds.We use a lot of different programs for reading instruction so I can't say that all of this is because of the blue book. It is kind of expensive but I guess after using it....I would buy it on my own if my school wasn't providing it. Again, I don't know how similar it is to Fountas and Pinnell.

The Bee Tree

Michael Heggerty's Phonemic Awareness
Old 10-18-2010, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Many thanks to all you for your responses. I probably willpurchase this on my own since we just looked at our data and the scores are low!!! I want to use something quick but effective for my students!
Many thanks for taking the time to help me!!!
The Bee Tree is offline   Reply With Quote

cvolcteacher

I paid for this out of my own money....
Old 10-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

and it was a lot more expensive than the cost would be to an American resident as I also paid duty across the border and extra costs for shipping. I paid about $100 Canadian.

I bought it because it was short and sweet for each of the key concepts needed to become skilled at phonemic awareness. I could have invented lists of rhyming words etc. myself but to me it was worth it to have it all set, ready to go. That way I can be sure to do it each day... it's so easy.

It's certainly not a whole reading program but it does practice those very important pre-reading skills in a systematic way. My kids like it although I can't get them all to respond orally yet. They're involved and listening, but nothing is coming out of their mouths yet. I work in a very poor area of town and many of the kids are ESD... English as a second dialect. They're First Nations students who are having difficulty in any oral language activity but I'm hopeful that with this daily routine, it will become easier for them.

As someone else said, it does take a bit of practice on the teacher's part to get the kids to respond in the way they should but I'm getting better. My kids are really finding the ending sound activity difficult but if I wasn't doing this at all, they still wouldn't be able to do it. This is the hardest one for me to lead as well and that's also why they are having trouble with it. I'm getting better but I still don't have this one down pat.

For me this program seems worth it.

Kerry
cvolcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

k-tchr

Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Michael Heggerty is very easy to use! Little to no prep. Scripted lessons. Easy for subs. Great for teaching phonemic awareness. Highly recommend! We have used it for 5-6 years. First year took getting used to, but kids really buy into it if you build it up and tell them they are making dendrites. I also call them word games so the kids get more excited to do it.

I use it as one of our Daily 5 transitions. After the 1st round, we do 10-15 minutes of Michael Heggerty, then go to the next round of small group/D5.
k-tchr is offline   Reply With Quote
anmom

anmom

Heggerty Pre-k
Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Am purchasing the pre-k level, but won't have as the year begins. What are the first letters covered....1st couple of weeks in order. Thanks!