Gold Rush Simulation Day??-Please help! - ProTeacher Community

grader4life

Gold Rush Simulation Day??-Please help!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My partner and I would love to put on a "Gold Rush Day" or some type of culminating experience for the students, but are feeling a bit overwhelmed. We have done "Walk Through California" in the past, but due to $$$$$ constraints it is not possible this year.

What have you done in the past? What stations/activities do you do? Are you willing to share your instructions with us??

I have heard of schools making Indian Fry Bread, and having kids pan for gold (please explain how you do this). What else!?

We would love to start a memorable 4th grade experience!!

Thanks for your input!

grader4life is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Do You Read
Old 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Dear Levi: Letters From The Overland Trail? It might be a great book for you unit. Or The California Gold Rush: An Interactive History Adventure. It is a choose your own adventure type book.

i have never done this before, but sounds like fun. Here are a few ideas off the top of my head.

Dress up in jeans, overalls and bandanas.

Love the idea of Indian Fry bread. Add some beef jerky and you have a simple meal.

Pan for Gold- not sure how you do that- Spray paint rocks to use I guess. Need sifters of different sizes. all the gold sprayed rocks should be small enough to fall through I guess and all the regular rocks need to be bigger so they do not fall through.

Bag it- maybe someone could make muslin draw string bags. The gold goes in the bag to carry to the bank.

Weigh- the gold and pay them with pretend money

Set up a mercantile- Allow them to buy something with their earnings (that way it is an economics lesson as well)

File a claim- ???

Good luck!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

grader4life

Wow! Great Ideas!!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are so much more creative than I am! Those are great ideas!!! You brought back a memory for me with the muslin bags. Back in the day, we used to buy bubble gum from 7/11 in those tiny drawstring bags!! (I totally know I'm dating myself!!) They would be perfect!! I wonder if they have those bags on some website? OK..... I'm off on a scavenger hunt!

Thanks!!

Anyone else??

Rascal2

Bad Wolf Press
Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Bad Wolf Press has a musical play about the Gold Rush. The plays are a lot of fun.
Rascal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Date me as well
Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I remember those gold nugget bubble gum pieces in the draw string bag as well. In fact, I am so old I remember candy cigarettes! Is that disgusting or what?

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Old 10-19-2010, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've actually seen the drawstring bags of gold gum at Michaels Crafts on different occassions. You might want to check Oriental Trading too.
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

slooper

Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just did this earlier this year. The morning of the Gold Rush, I took hundreds of butterscotch hard candy and scattered them around our playground. I taught a lesson in the classroom about the Gold Rush, important people during this time and how people staked a claim. Students were allowed to get into groups of 3 or work individually to make a claim on the land. If students chose to work with a group, they chose a name for their mining company and then worked together to find gold. We all lined up on like a land race and waited for a signal. I then blew the whistle and set out to search for gold. I gave them a time limit. After the time ended, we gathered back and determined who had the most - individuals or mining companies. We also discussed "going bust." At the end, my students created visual images as a prewrite for a reflection and then wrote a summary about the important information learned in their journal.
slooper is offline   Reply With Quote

grader4life

Thanks Slooper!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That sounds like fun! Thanks for the idea.

floridateacha

great musical play
Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Further to a post above ..Bad Wolf Press has a fantastic musical play called Golddust or Bust (or something like that) I have done it twice with Esol kids and in another school with aftercare groups. It is wonderful...the kids love it and learn a lot!
floridateacha is offline   Reply With Quote

ibkajun

Gold Dust or Bust
Old 11-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I, too, have done the play Gold Dust or Bust and it is great. It does take a while to practice unless you just want the kids to use the books and not memorize it. The songs are fun to learn and very catchy. I have a class set already printed. Are you by any chance in the EGUSD? If so, you could borrow them. I could send them through district mail.
ibkajun is offline   Reply With Quote
kmc01

kmc01

4th teacher
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Can anyone tell me how many 30 minute periods Gold Dust or Bust takes? Thanks!

rachelmpd

Our school
Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

OUr school has done one for the last few years. I am new to 4th so not sure how exactly it works. I know that the kids pan for gold, have cornbread, and get Beef Jerky. I know the kids get a a vial with gold in it.

I also highly recommend, "Gold Rush or Bust" by Bad Wolf Press. I have seen it several times and thinking about trying to do it this year.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote