Aromatherapy in the classroom? - ProTeacher Community

reesespieces

Aromatherapy in the classroom?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use essential oils/aromatherapy in their classroom? I just ordered a spray called "classroom control" that included lavender, cedarwood, and other essential oils. My main purpose is to help some of my boys with ADD to focus. This will by my first time trying it out and wanted to know if anyone had success with it!

reesespieces is offline   Reply With Quote

M&M Mom

No...but...
Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

...we'd love to hear if it works with your students!! Keep us posted!
M&M Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

EmilyP103

Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love aromatherapy but never thought about using it at school! Let us know how it goes
EmilyP103 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazyeights

Yes, I have
Old 10-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

used peppermint oil--research says that peppermint and wintergreen help with focusing--I don't know if it really helped but it makes the room smell minty fresh I bought a plug in thing from whole foods and I soak a cardboard thing that fits into a slot--
crazyeights is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

be careful with lavender
Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Lavender is not recommended around young boys. Google young boys and lavender.

luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb2010gr1

Old 10-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Be careful! All sprays and scents are banned in our district due to issues with student asthma and allergies. Since you are not aware of all of your students' triggers, I'd be very careful with these. I used to use a plug in in my room and many people loved the sweet, calm scent in my room, but now I can't have it & think it wouldn't be worth causing an issue like that for one of my kids.
mrsb2010gr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

KTeacher09

I would be careful with smells/oils and ADD..
Old 10-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As a parent of a child (children) with diet controlled behaviour issues and immunity issues, I would be very wary of using essential oils around children, particularly ones like peppermint etc. My son (one in particular) when "off diet" exhibits many (MANY! as in he would be diagnosed as...) of the symptoms of ADHD and ODD. He is extremely sensitive to salicylates (a natural chemical in loads of - healthy unfortunately - foods) and other natural food/plant chemicals, as well as a range of artificial additives. Using such a spray in a room that he is in would send him off for days and wouldn't subside until his system is "clean" again. It would also, more than likely, result in him coming down with tonsilitis within days. If you have children that are diagnosed, or preparing to be diagnosed I would certainly be very wary of it, and maybe even contact their parents first to at least let them know. If THEY or you notice any changes, at least you'll know why.

and Wow... luvmycat... I did just that (google 'lavender' and 'boys')... and came up with some credible evidence - which is not really what I expect when googling! That's huge. I didn't know that - although, as you can see, we avoid all scents anyway...

Last edited by KTeacher09; 10-23-2010 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: to add "wow" moment!
KTeacher09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

I would be
Old 10-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

very hesitant as well. Many things trigger my migraines. I even have to hold my breath when I walk by candle displays or shops.

I would be willing to bet there would be students that could have triggers too.
Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Moana Mel

Old 10-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Scented items have been banned in our district for many years.
Moana Mel is offline   Reply With Quote

magnolia

Nope
Old 10-24-2010, 01:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

And we're not allowed to do it. No scents, including Plug-Ins. I'm glad because I would end up with a migraine.
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Scents
Old 10-24-2010, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm using Bath & Body Works Twisted Peppermint Wallflowers in my room this year. My students love it!
Socks is online now   Reply With Quote

2joyful

No way
Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Lavender and cedar wood! I wouldn't be able to breath at all! Unfortunately our district does not have a restriction on scents. I have to hold my breath in the hall as I pass another teacher's room. These scents really do cause some people severe problems.
2joyful is offline   Reply With Quote

Evergreen

Old 10-24-2010, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It would trigger an asthma attack in my child, so if a teacher was intentionally using it to control classroom behavior I would be furious that my child's health was put at risk.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

fragrance free
Old 10-24-2010, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Our school has been fragrance free for many years also. Too many student/teacher allergies.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

There is a huge difference between
Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

having artificial fragrances and natural scents from essential oils or seeds [lavender]. We live in a world sprayed full of Fabreeze which has been proven to kill pet birds and clothing that has been doused in fabric softeners after being washed in scented detergents. Even if you THINK your school is fragrance free - it is not, sorry. Unless you have very diligent families who ALL use organic fragrance free household products in all the layers we all use products...it just isn't possible.

I use Meyers Lemon Verbena natural dishwashing soap and it alone makes my room smell wonderful without being toxic. I wash my tables with it using hot water every day. Better that we use bleach, Lysol [which literally makes my skin fall off], scented baby wipes, and alcohol based hand sanetizer until we have no protective pro-biotics left on our skin?

Forgive my rant, but I think a little aromatherapy trial to see how your kids respond is likely going to be okay. I would ask parents for their feedback, noting that you are thinking of introducing some calming natural essential oils in small amounts [and how you plan to use it]. Ask them to sign permission for this trial. Tell them if they have a child with allergies to the lavender and cedar to please let you know and you will not follow through with the trial.

As for lavender and boys, I have had it around my son with no problems for the past 15 years. It may be true or it may be that the boys were drinking too much milk with growth hormones in it...I'm just not sold on the study...

My daughter made a lavender seed/flax seed neck pillow, which when microwaved for a minute warms up and smells wonderful. This weighted warmth would calm anyone. Again, get permission and you should be just fine.

I know another teacher on PT uses lip glosses that are scented for what she calls "smellies" and puts them on the back of student's hands. She says they last all day. Seems harmless unless you are allergic again. We can't all live in fear all the time, so just ask your families and see if it will work for you.

Hope this helps!

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote