shingles-can I go to work? - ProTeacher Community

roo

shingles-can I go to work?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I thought my eczema was flaring up today, but now I'm pretty sure it's shingles!!! I seem to constantly have something wrong with me lately! Anyway, can I go to work with shingles? From what I'm reading online, I think with shingles I can somehow pass it along as chickenpox to people who haven't had it, so I'm not sure what to do. Would you go to school?
Also, any shingles advice?

I'm one of those people who don't like when people post school-related stuff in the lounge, but I thought this was more of a health question...sorry if anybody's bothered!

Smiley1985

Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Shingles

By having shingles you would expose children who have not had the chicken pox to chicken pox (not shingles). Another important thing to note is that this is very unsafe for pregnant women to be around so if anyone in your building is or could be pregnant be careful. So sorry that you are sick!

Ms Bee Reads

Just wanted to share
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

that my mom recently had shingles and her pain level is so very high and she said that it was the most painful thing that she had ever had. I do not believe that it is "catching". I know that I could not work with it.

FLteachESE

Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our coach had it and he was in severe pain as well, ended up being out for a week before he could physically come back.

jvar87

Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You definitely need to stay home and rest, for your own well being, and for that of others. Shingles can become quite serious and have some bad side effects (facial paralysis) if you don't get rest and recover!

Hideeho

Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know there is a connection between shingles and The Pox, but not sure of all the ins and outs.

I agree with pp. You may have a lot of discomfort yourself and may feel better if you were at home resting.

Have you been to the doc to get something for them? There are meds that are given (my Mom's had them).

Take care

KeyKid

Shingles
Old 10-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you haven't already done so, get to the doctor's office or urgent care first thing tomorrow. If you can start taking an anti-viral medication as soon as possible, the severity is cut substantially.

Peaches Pears

Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Are you self-diagnosing or has a doctor diagnosed shingles?

As others have said there are medications and treatments for shingles. There are also huge lingering side effects from shingles for some people. If you even think you have shingles you should see a doctor.

I had shingles when I was in grade 5 (many years ago). I had to stay home from school for about 2 or 3 weeks, it was very painful indeed (I still remember the pain this many years later) and I 'gave' my little sister chicken pox.

Molly's Mom

I had shingles a few years ago
Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

#1-Definitely go to the doctor and get it diagnosed ASAP. If you get there early-antiviral medications to lessen the severity of the outbreak.
#2-Shingles occur in people that have had chicken pox in the past and the virus has been dormant in your body for years. Many times it occurs during times of stress-so make sure there is nothing else going on (again get to the doctor!)
#3- I had it on my left back and side and could not wear a bra-which would be a problem for me at work .... I was out for 8 days-then was told by the school doctor that as long as it was not in an openly exposed are-face, etc. that I could cover it and work-ahhh no! I needed to feel better with less pain-and my doctor said I could not return to work with young children until the vesicles were dried. I trust and followed HER advice.
hmmm-should I be penalized for taking that sick time? sorry from another post about sick time.....

roo

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for the quick replies. It really just developed into anything that looked like something other than eczema after school today (with multiple clubs and mtgs. didn't get home til after 8pm) so I didn't get to a dr. today. I looked at the symptoms and photos online though, and I'd bet my paycheck on it being shingles. I'll call my dr. first thing tomorrow to try to get an appt. and check with the school nurse to see if I can stay at work.
When I had chicken pox I had an EXTREMELY mild case, so let's hope this is the same!

Thanks again!

grade2rocks

Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was told when I had it last spring that it was only contagious if someone touched the weeping shingle to an open wound.

Do get started on the anti-viral- only effective if started within 72 hours of the outbreak.

change2R

It depends
Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I had shingles the nurse told me that if I worked in one of the lower grades I could come to school. Students in our district are required to have the chicken pox vaccine prior to kindergarten, but they just started this a few years ago and my kiddos didn't have to be vaccinated when they started. She also said that it needed to be covered but that would have been difficult because it was on my face and scalp.

I missed 8 days of school (including 2 week-ends) and I was in horrible pain. There would have been NO WAY that I could have gone to school. It was difficult to go back when I did.

MKat

Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was also told I was fine to work. By the time I figured out what it was it was really too late anyway.

fredlish

Shingles stink!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had them on my face a few years back. My whole mouth, my ears, and my eyes started hurting. My shingles rash looked a lot like poison ivy rash.

-Get a diagnosis from a doctor and get anti-virals if it is shingles.
--You can give chicken pox to someone when you have shingles. My son got them from me when I had shingles, and he already had been vaccinated for chicken pox.
--If it is shingles, stay away from people who have compromised immune systems. They are vulnerable.
--If it is shingles, you will have pain for a long time. It can become quite unbearable. You may have to ask for a pain medication,if otc pain meds. do not work.
--Stay home and rest for a while.