Looking to get out of teaching - ProTeacher Community

Out4This

Out4This

Looking to get out of teaching
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious if any of you know of anyone who has been able to get out of teaching and get into a different type job. I am wearing thin with all the issues that budget cuts have caused. I am certified in special ed but was miserable in that field. I worked hard to get certified in early childhood and found a job teaching kindergarden. I absolutely LOVED it for the years I was able to do it. My students did very well, and I was voted Teacher of the Year by my school. This year our district moved around a lot of teachers, and I was moved back into special ed (at a different school) because "my early childhood success would make me very useful for the students there." I am so miserable!! I am just fed up with teaching all together and ready to do something else. It just isn't worth it anymore.

C Green

I'm done after this year
Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know I'm off my depression meds--I get to go back on soon--and it's a new school, and a change of grade and level--and all sorts of things--but I'm done. I am not happy. I like working with kids. I hate classroom management, and I don't think it will ever be natural to me. I don't like being a classroom teacher. Period.

I'm planning to do an MFT and see if I can transition into working as a school counselor. I wish to God I'd gotten my act together to do this before taking this job, for a lot of reasons. Not least, because it's only October, and I do not feel good at work, ever.
C Green is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

I hear ya!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I absolutely know what you mean. I am trying to get out of teaching because I hate classroom management but I really like education. Like the previous response, I am trying to go into another field in education and I am working on a school psychology degree. In fact, I just returned from my class. I'm tired and it's hard, but this will allow me to stay in education and also stay in my district so I can keep my years. I have tried to look outside of education, but there isn't anything that has piqued my interest. I probably did not help much, but just know that I understand and I empathize.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Suspended

Driven2BG
Suspended

Old 10-27-2010, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Stick with teaching..........The politics, back-stabbing, lying, cheating, throwing everyone under the bus, sexism, racism IN business is so disgusting, I cherish the days in the classroom. Where I am at the BIG OLE BOYS network is in charge, and it makes life hard for anyone else to compete with them.
Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

What about teaching a different kind of
Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

special education? Are you already doing developmental preschool? Sometimes those programs have peer models of typically developing kids. I teach special education and generally enjoy the population I work with most of the time. However, I know that there are some populations that I would not be happy working with.

blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

committed2U

Alternatives...
Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How about adult education? You'd probably have to work evenings though.

What about Education Liason at a hospital? There are always kids in long-term care who still need to do their work when on the mend.

What about working at a museum as an educational coordinator?

I've heard people act as teachers on television and movie filming sets.

These alternatives allow you to work in the field of education without dealing with classroom management.

I'm sure there are even more options. I understand your feelings about management. I also struggle with consistency. I don't want to be an enforcer either, but I'm learning through experience and observation that it does benefit the kids to have that structure and discipline so I'm trying...

Good luck whatever you decide
committed2U is offline   Reply With Quote

lucky

Having taught now
Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

for 14 going on 15 years, I think you are either 'a natural' at classroom management or you're not. Although, anyone can learn to manage a classroom full of students, it sometimes takes years to get good at it. Each and every class of students I've had is different too. What may have worked the year before, may not work this year. It just depends on the makeup of your class.
I know exactly what you mean though. I have really begun to hate teaching as it is today. I just don't know how much longer I can stand the damn fools running education and continue to implement things in my classroom that I feel are detrimental to my students. I too, have to take meds just to function in this negative environment. But, this is not a good way to live your life.
The suggestions and advice the PP have given is good. I think I would also consider online education. There are many companies in this field now. You would have assigned students, but you would not have to deal with classroom management.
Good luck!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

Nothing to add, but...
Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

...I wanted to say I love all of the suggestions - things I never would have even thought of! This is why I love PT! Thanks you guys!
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

teachervenus

Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Stick with teaching..........The politics, back-stabbing, lying, cheating, throwing everyone under the bus, sexism, racism IN business is so disgusting, I cherish the days in the classroom.
I experienced those things during my short time in teaching. My family members are in other fields and haven't been through the harsh politics and insanity I have with teaching.
I actually think teaching is just as bad if not worse than corporate america.
teachervenus is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I gave up teaching after 12 + years of special ed. The last straw was when a student broke my arm and no one cared. I was also tired of the backstabbing, etc. I am now a nanny to 2 kids and I LOVE it. I've never been happier. No lesson plans, no paperwork,, and I still get to be with kids and have a huge influence on their lives. After 2 years of nannying i am making the same amount of money I made after about 11 years of teaching, without all the headaches. I was really scared to switch careers, but I'm so glad I did.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote