Negativity - long post! Sorry!!! - ProTeacher Community

flutetoot

Negativity - long post! Sorry!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just started teaching 7th & 8th grade LA/Lit this Sept after searching for 4 years. It is only a part-time position (.4), but it seems like every week they are adding on more time. Initially, it started out as 11:45-3:15, then it moved to 11:30-3:30, now it is 11:00-3:30. I realize I am a new teacher so I kind of have to go with it...

The main problem is that the position I have was the current P's position last year - she worked as a P and the LA teacher. Now she is the P and SpEd Director (we have a very small school). I don't think I was her first choice for the position, but the Super. wanted me because I also teach music and their music teacher is leaving at the end of the year (the idea was I would teach LA/Lit and music next year). Now the super. has tendered his resignation due to factors with the BofE.
It seems that every time the P "meets" with me (which is usually in the hall, informally in my classroom for 5 min., etc.) she has constant negative feedback. I am the only LA/Lit teacher in the building, so I don't have anyone to discuss lessons with and bounce ideas off of. Yesterday, the P was mad because when she went into my classroom for an "informal" observation, my lesson did not coincide with what was on her paper (she makes me hand in lesson plans 2 weeks in advance) - I explained to her that the previous lesson took longer than I expected so we were a couple of days behind. She said that this was not an excuse and I should have changed my plans (again, this was an unannounced visit to my classroom - I have yet to ever have a "formal" eval.)
Also, she doesn't like the way I teach, and is constantly telling me that I should do things the way that she did. I try, but our styles are different.
Then she complained to me that because I was a new teacher, she had to develop a district plan for new teacher training (something that was recently required by the state) - she didn't want to hire a new teacher because this just added more work to what she already does. I didn't know how to respond, so I simply said that I have been meeting with my mentor on a regular basis and coming up with a developmental plan based on the state's module system.
Then she decides to tell me (3 weeks into my plan) that she doesn't think it is "appropriate" and wants it changed. <groan>
I was doing a plan based on differentiated instruction for students of varying abilities - my mentor and I decided on this, and thought it fit with the expectations by the state.

I am just very annoyed and frustrated - it seems that I can never do anything right by this woman - are all adminsitrators this way???

flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Love Writing

Hang in there
Old 10-31-2010, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm so sorry you are having a difficult time. Do you have a mentor? I'm mentoring a first-year teacher this year and it really helps to have that one official "go-to" person for things like this. My advice is to keep doing what you believe is right and ride it out.

As for being off the two-week lesson plan... ???? Throw out the term "authentic assessment" and see what happens. Of course you have to alter the pacing of your plans to meet the needs of your students. No teacher, regardless of experience, can stick to a plan down to the minute. Every group of students is unique and will need your to accommodate their needs. Hang in there.
Love Writing is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_love

Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm actually breathing a little easier knowing that I am not the only one something like this is happening to. You just need to hang in there and fight tooth and nail, to prove you are better than the principal thinks. Make connections with the teachers and build a rep with them, have them as references for you in the future. You can do this. I am forging ahead and you need to too. I know it is difficult. Hold your head up and treat this negative principal like there is nothing better than she is and document, document, document. This is unfair to you and you deserve better. I just wish that I knew a way to help you beat this, but I don't if you find one out, help me out by sending it my way. I never imagined my first year would be like this one, I don't even have my mentor as she is on the principals side. They want me gone and somebody else in. I am stuck in their web and fighting hard to keep from being eaten. Hang in there. Look for a job elsewhere if that is a possiblity. Keep your head up and continue to do your best for the kids. Prayers for you!!
teach_love is offline   Reply With Quote