Thanksgiving/ November Poems - ProTeacher Community

TeachBakeShop

Thanksgiving/ November Poems
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any good Thanksgiving or November poems that they'd be willing to share?
I'm looking for something long enough or wordy enough to do some sort of literature element study. Thanks!

TeachBakeShop is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

The Turkey Shot Out of the Oven
Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

is a fun poem. It is by Jack Prelutsky. It is a narrative poem about a turkey that explodes all over the kitchen. You do not find out until the end of the poem why. It was filled with popcorn instead of dressing and that causes this mini disaster. The students really enjoy the humor and it has great word choice with many vivid verbs. So, you could have students highlight the verbs, look them up in the dictionary and then write their own sentences using the verbs.

They could also match the rhyming words.

You can discuss why it is a funny poem.

They could also visualize the event described in the poem and illustrate it. Maybe you could find a coloring book picture of a kitchen on Google Images and they could add the exploding turkey. You might let them glue a few pieces of popcorn on the picture as well.

You could choral read the poem each day for a week. Then on Friday test each child's reading of the poem for a fluency grade. I will attach a fluency rubric I use. It is not my creation. Someone else on PT shared it some time ago and I really like it. It is teacher friendly and easy to use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fluency_rubric.pdf (15.3 KB, 109 views)
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote