Help

ARCHIVE

Timelines

>

Janie

Timelines
Old 01-03-2007, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else teach timelines to their second graders? My team members and I are kind of at a loss as to how best to teach the concept to our kiddos. We would also like to have the students make a timeline of important events in their lives, but we don't want it to be too overwhelming for them. Any good suggestions or ideas? Thanks! = )

Janie is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Timelines
Old 01-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was at a workshop recently where the presenter actually did a timeline throughout the year. She started it on the first day of school and then added things as the year went on. They wouldn't add everyday but when something big happened, a celebration, birthday, new student arriving, etc. Then, they would refer back to it and when actually teaching timelines and the students better understood because it was something they were doing all along! Even though it's not the first day of school, you could start with the first day you came back from winter break and go from there.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

jrg

Timeline
Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do a timeline of events that occurred in the past 100 years for the 100th day of school. Each student brings in at least 5 events, inventions, etc. from the past 100 years. We write the event and date on 3x5 cards and put them in the appropriate spot on a timeline we post out in the hall. It is just an introduction to timelines but they always have fun doing this activity. (Other classes stop by to see what "new" things have been added each year.)
jrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Cela

Cela

Biographies and Timelines
Old 01-04-2007, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The last year we did biographies we posted a big timeline on the bulletin board. Students picked one famous person, and drew a picture on an index card of that person. We placed them on the timeline according to the year they were born. It is a difficult concept for them to grasp. The International REading Council website also has a timeline generator--you can type in the dates and events and a timeline will print out. I think I had them write down three important facts in their lives with their parents and dates.

I think it's a great idea to do one for your class throughout the year--definitely easier for them to understand.

Janie

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the suggestions. We decided to just have the students come up with a family timeline with six important events that have happened in their families since they were born. Next year, however, I am DEFINITELY going to do a classroom timeline from the beginning of school on. I still might try to do it this year if I can remember to start taking pictures of important things.

Janie is offline   Reply With Quote