Thinking Maps - ProTeacher Community

cjneubecker

Thinking Maps
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am doing thinking maps this year and I am curious if anyone else is...I am looking for ideas to use for THanksgiving. If anyone has ideas, please let me know. Thanks!!!

cjneubecker is offline   Reply With Quote

royals

Thanksgiving Thinking maps
Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Circle map- Center I am thankful for... outside list what thankful for
Brace map-parts of thanksgiving dinner
double bubble- compare pilgrim child and modern day child
royals is offline   Reply With Quote

k1teach

Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love thinking maps. I did a tree map of a turkey. I also do the flow map of how to cook a turkey
k1teach is offline   Reply With Quote
k1teach
Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM
This message has been deleted by k1teach.

k1teach

Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

here is a turkey tree map
Attached Files
File Type: doc turkeyt tree map.doc (61.0 KB, 347 views)

k1teach

Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and here are a pic of pilgrims and indians. I do a double bubble map of both of them. I also do a bubble map of pumpkins and each child has to come up with a describing word for pumpkins

Attached Files
File Type: pub novthinkingmaps.pub (153.0 KB, 269 views)

FOREVERKINDER

double bubble map
Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I loved your turkey tree map but this one is not downloading. Can you try again? Thanks
FOREVERKINDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweet_Smartie

Random Ramble
Old 11-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like thinking maps but...we just started introducing them to the kids and the district want us to do 2 samples of a thinking map a week! It takes my students at least 2 weeks to fully understand something. I have to say that I am really frustrated. The district does not incorporate these thinking maps into our curriculum. So I have to squeeze in what is required and 2 thinking maps a week. I barely have time to teach what is required! Ok now that I have vented...

We did a bubble map on pumpkins and a tree map on Fall colors. The tree map had the colors of Fall (red, brown, and orange...they chose) and then the students had to draw pictures of things that are that color. For example: under red would the students drew apples, strawberries, and lollipops. The kids really seem to enjoy it, but I just wish we could spend more time on them.
Sweet_Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote

k1teach

Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hope this attachment works for you
Attached Files
File Type: doc turkeyt tree map-1.doc (61.0 KB, 141 views)

KLSSwimmer

Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Okay, I may be really out of the loop, but is there a book or resource I can read to learn about thinking maps?

Thanks!
KLSSwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

k1teach

Old 11-10-2010, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Google thinking maps and you will see many websites from teachers that use them. Our county uses them a lot and it works well for kids writing

StephR

Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I like thinking maps but...we just started introducing them to the kids and the district want us to do 2 samples of a thinking map a week! It takes my students at least 2 weeks to fully understand something. I have to say that I am really frustrated. The district does not incorporate these thinking maps into our curriculum. So I have to squeeze in what is required and 2 thinking maps a week. I barely have time to teach what is required! Ok now that I have vented...
I guess we just have been using Thinking Maps for so long that I just don't see them as something "extra" that needs to be "squeezed in". Whenever I think of things that I want to teach, I use a TM to teach it. They flow out naturally now and aren't something that I have to find extra time to do.

Just think about what you are teaching. Are you discussing the foods that people eat at Thanksgiving? Instead of just listing them out, you make a circle map. When you are talking about the Thanksgiving Dinner table, use a brace map to break the parts of the table up. A double bubble can compare foods we eat at Thanksgiving to those we eat at a normal, everyday meal.

And you are right, the kids really like them, mostly because they make their thinking so much clearer. Just give them a chance...try to fit them naturally into your teaching and not as an extra, added thing to get done, you know? (I hope that all made sense....it's been a long day )
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweet_Smartie

StephR
Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It would be easier if I could choose which map I wanted to use, but the district has a set map that we are to do every week. Once we have introduced all of the maps then we can choose as we'd like. Two weeks ago we introduced the circle map. Last week we introduced the bubble map. This week we did the tree map. Each week we have a certain map that we HAVE TO DO. Not every map is going to fit into what we are learning that week. See why I'm a little frustrated? I've done ok so far, but I hate the fact that I feel like I'm "winging it" every week. Next week is the double bubble. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sweet_Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote

UF94Gator

I feel your pain...
Old 11-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When our school started thinking maps we were told the same thing...you HAVE to do this map during this specific week and I felt frustrated. Looking back I am glad that they forced me to do all of the maps because I probably would never have tried any other map besides a circle map. Like the PPs have said, once you get use to them they really are easy to incorporate into your curriculum.

When I first introduce double bubble maps I give my students each a starburst candy and a piece of "double bubble" gum for us to compare. Another introduction double bubble map that I do is to compare 2 types of cookies. The kids love it because they have to eat both types of cookies and candy treats in order to compare them.

Here are some other double bubble ideas:
compare Halloween to Thanksgiving
compare two girls in your class (or two boys)
compare you to your principal (or other staff member in the school)
compare two special area classes (art vs. music class)
compare characters from two read alouds that you have done
UF94Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Cam's mommy

Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I really appreciate your message. We are just starting out with TM, and it does feel like I'm squeezing them in. I need to change my perspective!
Cam's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Cam's mommy

Help
Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We do all the maps at the beginning of the year with the student's information. All the maps are about them. This helps to introduce them, then you can use them for other information.
Cam's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote