End of book projects for Stone Fox, Sign of the Beaver??? - ProTeacher Community

Zinnia4U

End of book projects for Stone Fox, Sign of the Beaver???
Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My two groups are almost done with their books, Stone Fox and Sign of the Beaver. I chose these books b/c we were/are learning about the history of Native Americans in our state. We have already done Native American reports, so does anyone have wonderful ideas to wrap-up these books??? Some type of 'report' where I can see their knowledge of the story...TIA

Zinnia4U is online now   Reply With Quote

dav5fam

Newscast/Newspaper
Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had my students create a play by play newscast of the events from the race. They loved it because you can use simple props (sports coat, tie, fancy jewelry) for the newscasters. They have to give a one - two minute presentation. They loved it.

You can also have them create a newspaper. They could work in teams of four. Each person would write an article on one of the main events in the story. They could use a big piece of white paper, give their newspaper a name, and organize their stories on the page, and create a picture to match their words.

It will be fun for the students. You will see their creativity and comprehension come alive.

Last of all, you could have them recreate a scene from the story and act it out. You will see things come out of your students that you wouldn't have thought possible.

Have fun.
dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

Dick

Stone Fox
Old 11-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Find the Video and let them compare the literature and the movie. It is quite funny how the kids react to the difference in characters. It is a great lesson on the value of reading vs the movie.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
purpletch

purpletch

Video
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There is also a video for Sign of the Beaver-it is called "Keeping the Promise"
TBetts

TBetts

Sign of the Beaver
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have taught this book for th last five years and each year I have added another requirement. Students today are technology driven, therefore, I have them each create a brochure that would attract settlers to Maine using their knowledge of the book and time era. They use Microsoft Publisher to create their brochure. The brochure is were I get the grammar grade and creative side of learning. I also assign them a research project over the bears in the area and they create either a 3D model of the bear's habitat or do a poster presentation with the info on the poster. In order for me to assess their comprehension each student keeps a portfolio with quizzes, summaries, daily work, and other materials for me to review at the end of the Novel. In Texas, inferencing is a big struggle in my town, therefore I use Pixie and have each student to recreate a wanted poster for Ben. It allows me to see how close they pay to details and character traits. I hope that this has helped you in some sort of way.