Help

ARCHIVE

What is your best writing project?

>

AmyH

What is your best writing project?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is the best writing project that you have your kids do?
Like for instance a fellow teacher had her students build a city out of recycled "stuff" The city is now there setting for their story they are writing. Sounds pretty fun and exciting to me! What do you assign that the kids LOVE????

AmyH is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We write about
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

our inventions to pull out teeth. We put all of their stories together in a book called "The Tooth Extractor Gadget". We send it to Student Treasures to have them bound into one book, and the parents can buy them.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Judy24

Old 01-05-2007, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For stories I use those card that you can buy at the teacher's store. Each student has to take two cards and the things on the cards have to be in the story. It's so much fun to see what they will come up with. For instance I've had a student get "tricycle" and "moon" before and the story was awesome about a little boy that invented a high powered tricycle and his little brother used it by accident so they had to retrieve the little brother from the moon.

For descriptive writing I like to have students write a story about going through a haunted house. The description is really there and they use all of their senses.
Judy24 is offline   Reply With Quote

apples

Alphabet Books
Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Before Christmas, my students wrote alphabet books...they are in grade 2. It really got them thinking and 'stretching their brains.' It was easy to differeniate, as some are reeading very low...thus wrote A is for Angel while my higher students wrote much more.
apples is offline   Reply With Quote

Flower Child

Story in a Basket
Old 01-05-2007, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I cut pictures out of magazines and put them in a basket. The kids draw a picture and then write a story about the picture. They absolutely adore this!! I teach second grade, and they really do a good job. We take the stories through the writing process, and send home their wonderful stories.

Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote

lismac

Old 01-05-2007, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used to teach computers in my building and every December the kids picked a candy cane out of a bag- I had a variety of kinds- red/white striped, no stripes, different colored stripes...

They had to write a story about how the candy cane got its stripes or lost its stripes based on the candy cane they picked. They were awesome stories!!! It was fun!
lismac is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

An adventure story
Old 01-05-2007, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

After we read Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, I have my students write their own adventure story. I give them a graphic organizer/rubric that includes sections where they write their notes on the following:
-their original destination
-why they were going there
-one object that they had with them while traveling (ex. pellet gun, knife, book, box of crackers) and why they had it. Within the story, they must tell how they used this object to help them survive.
-mode of travel (ex. plane, hot air balloon, train)
-a description of what type of disaster happened on the way (ex. accident, bad weather--no one is allowed to survive with them)
-a description of where they ended up (ex. island, desert, mountains)
-what three objects they found once "stranded" (see descriptions below), where and how they found them, and how they used those objects to help them survive
-how they went about finding food, water, shelter
-how long they were "stranded"
-how they were eventually rescued (or if they weren't)

Three objects: In order for the kids to describe what three things they happened to find while "stranded", they had to pull three slips of paper out of a container. Each slip of paper had a random object written on it. (ex. shoe, sweeper bag, toothbrush, dictionary, mirror, flashlight, bucket, wire, broom). I explained to them that they would have to include how they used each object to actually help them survive. After they pulled the slips, they read aloud their objects to the class. The kids absolutely love this part. They think the strange collections are funny. Then I give them time to brainstorm with a partner or two possible ways they might use each object.

Once students have written their thoughts/notes on the graphic organizer/rubric, they begin to write their stories. They always turn out great. I also have them publish them by creating a 3-D cover for the story.
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

fun writing
Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As part of a genre study, my student write a "fractured" fairy tale. They take a fairytale that already exists and change it up. They really like this. We have also written tall tales before which is fun,
roo is offline   Reply With Quote