Christmas Around the World suitcase - ProTeacher Community

foreverammaw1

Christmas Around the World suitcase
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be starting my first Christmas Around the World unit, and I would like the kids to have a little suitcase to store projects.

Does anyone have a tried and true pattern that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks!!!

foreverammaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

njteacherk

Old 11-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry I dont have an answer to your questions but I am wondering what your projects will be? I'd like to do this unit as well!
njteacherk is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 11-16-2010, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I subbed in a second grade class that did this. They had passports to take from country to country. The teacher stamped an appropriate stamp on each page.
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

ellicat

Mrs. Nelsons Class site...
Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

has some great ideas:

http://www.mrsnelsonsclass.com/mrsne...dholidays.aspx

I went with her simple but very effective suitcase made out of large construction paper, stapled together on three sides and then stapling strips on to make handles. My kids love them and they work pretty well.

She also has a printable passport file. I make passports for each student that has a page for each country we visit. After we study a country, I ask them questions about Christmas in that country. If they answer all the questions, I "stamp" that page of their passport by giving them a sticker.

She also has a printable plane ticket. I use those to tie in number or letter matching. I hide numbers or letters under the chairs then hand out tickets to the kids before we visit a certain country. They have to find their seat on the plane by matching the number/letter to their ticket. Depending on the group, I've also done more difficult things like hiding sums under the chairs, rhyming words, etc.

Hope this helps! It's my favorite unit.
ellicat is offline   Reply With Quote

iheart3rd

Wow
Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is great stuff! thank you for sharing and way to go I love the matching seat #!!!

iheart3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

foreverammaw1

Ellicat Your ideas are great!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My team has done this unit for going on six years at the school that I am currently teaching at. I always did a gingerbread unit with a focus on the history and uses of ginger. I also went over the Christmas traditions in Germany. I really felt like it was time to climb aboard the Christmas Around the World unit. Thanks for the link. I will definately check out all the producables.

My team has always used the passports, and set up a customs table at the entrance of the room. I really enjoyed hearing the different accents that my peers have used for each country. I don't think I can do as well as they have, but I will try. I believe that they stamped the passports as the students entered the room on the first day of each new country. But, I do like the idea of stamping them after they answer questions about each country. They also make snacks to represent each country.

yellow rose d

Xmas around the world
Old 11-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've done this unit every year for the past 13 years. The kids love it. I've done several different suitcases; one I used long file folders and stapled the sides and added handles(my least favorite), I've taken a cereal box and turned it on its side, close the opening and tape shut and cut one long side out and added handles, covered the box with bb paper and add flags, stickers, etc. from different countries as we visited. I've also take a large brown grocery bag and cut it about 2/3 from the bottom - leaving a handle in the middle of the front and back. Bring them to the top and staple for the handle. Add a luggage tag and it is big enough to add souveniors, passport, ticket and journal.(my favorite and probably the easiest) On party day all of the ornaments we made from each country fit inside it also. If you need any info on things we do, just let me know. Every year it gets bigger and better. Doing passports this weekend for this year.
yellow rose d is offline   Reply With Quote

buffheel2

Old 11-22-2010, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We just use paper bags that have handles for the kids to use as a suitcase. This way we can fit various sizes of things in it.
buffheel2 is offline   Reply With Quote

foreverammaw1

Suit Case
Old 11-27-2010, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for all the great ideas. I really like the idea of using a cereal box Yellow rose. I have really had to start from scratch, but luckily I have a team that had a lot to share. This year I am using a template for the suitcase, but the file folder would work as well. We staple the passport inside. On the inside there is a page that you paste the student's picture, and a page that has a square for every country that we will visit. We use different stamps for each country to represent the customs stamps. We also have a page that is stapled inside that the students draw/write what they would put inside their suitcase. I am making boarding passes for the plane and the Chunnel to put in an envelope that I am gluing inside the suitcase. My team has also come up with snacks for every country, so that will be fun. I am really looking forward to this unit!!!