Literacy Center Accountability - ProTeacher Community

starprotected

Literacy Center Accountability
Old 11-28-2010, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a better way to handle a portion of my literacy centers. In order for my students to be accountable, I grade their literacy centers. (I know, I know) but if I don't, then I do not get the work.

One of my centers is Versatiles- they have to complete the page and when finished they turn the tiles over and if the picture matches, then they know they got it correct (self check) Well I find that my students think that they can just put the picture together to avoid doing the work.

Another is vocabulary center - I use a graphic organizer that has them write the word, draw a picture of it, use it in a sentence and write the definition. If I do not check these, they are not writing the sentences correctly. They do not use the word in the sentence even after many reminders. Working fast to get it finished

Then I add another one, could be dictionary center, word sort center, skill sort center - but I find that I have to grade these as well because effort is not being put in to them

The computer center is the only one that I do not have to check, because they use a reading program that our school uses (SuccessMaker) that I can see on a report.

Each student must complete one center a day after their seatwork and while I am in in guided reading groups. Which flows pretty smoothly.

But I dread Thursday afternoons - this is when I check their centers to see who has or has not completed them correctly for the week. It takes so long to do this, because I use a cover sheet that gives them a grade for each center and I write notes to tell them which ones they need to re-do correctly
It is so time consuming. I like centers and I want them to be accountable. I am looking for any advice that will free me up from this task!!!
Thanks so much

starprotected is offline   Reply With Quote

ms777

I feel your pain!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have struggled with this same issue for years. I used to have a rubric for each center and spent tons of time grading my centers. I agree that accountability is necessary. I also do one center a day, but my students are in flexible groups so that they go to different teachers in my grade level for centers and reading. I have given up on the war. I do incentives for completing center work such as token punches on their punch cards. They seem to like this and it has relieved me of the grading. They know I check the work at least. I will be interested in what others say!
ms777 is offline   Reply With Quote

ma-bethany

Old 11-28-2010, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have 4 centers a week. My kids do 4 reading centers and 4 math centers. They must complete every single center - no excuse.

I grade their center at the end of the day. It doesn't take long - maybe 25 minutes. If they didn't finish it or do it well, then they must do it the next day during morning work.

I leave Fridays open as a 'finish' day. That has worked well. My kids work for 40 minutes independently during reading and math centers, but I make sure that their centers can be done within that 40 minutes. So, I aim to give them 30 minutes of work.

Any work that doesn't get done, is marked as a zero and I make note of it on their report cards.
ma-bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

dwfl

grading
Old 11-28-2010, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with Bethany about keeping Fridays open for finishing- I do lit. stations on Mondays-Thursdays too, and leave Fridays for testing and finishing. My students do 8 stations a week, but I only "grade" a few. We grade their Time For Kids/FCAT practice together on Fridays. I take a writing grade for the writing center, a science or social studies grade for the content reading center, and one or two others a week- the ones I feel are good to grade, which are usually the read along and respond and the word work. I see the others as practice- the vocab is for their benefit for their vocab test, the fluency is for their own benefit as well. I also try to do it a little at a time during the week, so it doesn't pile up! I also give them the responsibility for what they do or not do- I can't take the time to monitor and give them chances to redo- it will show up on their report card! That being said, I have given some back with a redo note on it- as homework- but leave it to them to turn it back in done! Hope this helps!
dwfl is offline   Reply With Quote

BruCho

Captains
Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For my centers my students rotate with their specific group. For each group I have the activities listed (I just use a table from word) and then assign a "captain." The captain is in charge of checking their group members work, and if it is done correctly they put a check mark next to each item after it is completed.

At the end of the day or week I look at the list to see who/who is not completing the work. It does not take any time at all except typing up the list of activities. Students are very competitive and are on their best behavior because they want to be captain.

Hope this helps! I'm a first year teacher so I'm trying new things all the time.

BruCho is offline   Reply With Quote

NarrativeC

Bru Cho--I like your
Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

idea about a "Captain" for work station accountability. Also, Friday as a "Finish" day is a great idea. I think I'll try those two things after the holiday break.

Have you guys read Debbie Diller's books on Literacy Stations? I use quite a few of her literacy stations that are practice, and don't have to be graded. It takes some time at the beginning of the year to train the kids, but works well once things get going.

This is my first year in 3rd grade, and I am so thankful for all the ideas/suggestions I get from the other teachers!
NarrativeC is offline   Reply With Quote

starprotected

Thank you
Old 12-18-2010, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for all of your ideas. I think alot has to do with the control freak that I am. I do leave Fridays open to complete unfinished.
I might try a self assessment form so that they grade themselves for the day's center.
I will glance at the vocabulary and not grade, this will show up on the week's test.
Have a great winter break
starprotected is offline   Reply With Quote