What's your favorite chapter book to read aloud to your class??? - ProTeacher Community

sweetiex

What's your favorite chapter book to read aloud to your class???
Old 11-28-2010, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!

I am almost finished with my read aloud book and I wanted to hear what your favorite read aloud chapter book is for fourth grade students. Hopefully, this will help me choose my new read aloud book!

So, tell me...what's your favorite read aloud chapter book and why?

Thanks!!!

Briana

sweetiex is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At this time of year, I love The Best Christmas Pageant Ever! (If you are allowed to read holiday stuff, of course.)

I also just finished Encyclopedia Brown at home (with my own 4th grader and my 3rd grade nephew.) They got very into trying to figure out the solutions!

And there's always Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, if you haven't already read it. It's great for them to compare the life of a 4th grader now and when it was written.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Banks10

Holiday Book
Old 11-28-2010, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This year my team has decided to read The Family Under the Bridge by Natalie Savage Carlson to our classes. We are making a writing activity out of it as well. It's about a family who is homeless in Paris and how another homeless man, who has a hardened heart, comes to find this family and helps them and in turned has his life changed as well. It's based around Christmas, so it's a perfect story to read during this time of year.
Banks10 is offline   Reply With Quote

2010teacher

Read Aloud
Old 11-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Right now I am reading Little House in the Big Woods to my class. The kids absolutely love it. I am from Missouri, so right now in Social Studies we are studying about our state and Laura Ingalls Wilder is a famous author from our state that we have learned about, so the book helps to add some to our lessons. However, even if we weren't learning about the people from our state, it has been providing a fun but educational time to our day. The kids love learning about how Laura Ingalls lived during that time, so it provides us with great discussion opportunities where we can discuss how things are different now or even what the kids like/dislike about how she lived. By the end of the year, I plan to have read all nine of the books in the series as long as the kids don't get burnt out on them. But as of right now, they are loving them.
2010teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Bananabucksub

I second. . . .
Old 11-28-2010, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the Best Christmas Pageant Ever. I read this to a fourth grade class when I had them for nine weeks one time. I could not get through the last chapter without crying. It was an awesome book. I also read Shiloh to them and I can't get through that book without crying either.

Bananabucksub

Bananabucksub is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane to my students and they definitely show good listening skills when I'm reading it to them.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Emptynester1

Old 11-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just finished reading Emmy and the Amazing Shrinking Rat and they loved it!
Emptynester1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Momjo

4th Grade Read Alouds
Old 11-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am currently reading There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom and the students love it! It touches on bullying and the students do a written response each day. They get right into speaking to the characters and telling them what they think!
I will also read The Best Chistmas Pageant Ever (always a hit!) and then watch the video of it.
Then I will read The Adventures of Edward Tulane.
Momjo is offline   Reply With Quote
A.Baier

A.Baier

Silverwing
Old 11-28-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Silverwing - this is the book my fourth graders have been enthralled with, hands down, (and I read 15 or so books aloud per year) for the last 10 years or so.

hesgoldblack

Fourth Grade read aloud
Old 11-28-2010, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We read Fourth Graders Don't Believe in Witches for October. Before that we read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. We just finished Sarah, Plain and Tall. I will be reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever starting tomorrow and then we are going to see the play on Dec. 17th. In January I read The Watson's go to Birmingham. The kids love this one and they learn so much about what was going on with the African Americans at that time.
hesgoldblack is offline   Reply With Quote

wsteach

Depending on your class....
Old 11-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I read The Cay by Theodore Taylor to my class per my principal's recommendation. There are some tough parts to it, but my kids absolutely loved it. She had read it to her 3rd grade when she was a teacher. I was nervous about my class' maturity, but they handled it really well and loved it. They keep asking me to read it again!
wsteach is offline   Reply With Quote

NelleMT

Favorite Read aloud
Old 11-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I always start the year with Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing. Right now I am reading The Last Holiday Concert by Andrew Clements. Love his books! This is probably the 3rd or 4th year I have read this one! I love to read the follow up to the first Judy Blume book, Fudge-a-Mania, at the end of the year. Hope these help!
NelleMT is offline   Reply With Quote

fun2learn

I love read alouds!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Where The Red Fern Grows is by far my favorite to read with my fourth graders. I cry, they cry, we all cry...then we cry again when we watch the movie!
fun2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

mkc235

Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I read two books each year....Hatchet and Where the Red Fern Grows....both are wonderful stories that the students absolutely love. They are both full of adventure and weave wonderful lessons for the students...but I will warn you...no matter how many times you read this ( and I've read it 10 or so years) you will cry along with the class. We do watch the movie but the kids are really disappointed with the movie version...it leaves so much out as most movies do!

I also have read The Wizard of Oz....which is a fantastic story and one that the students think they already know because they have seen the movie so many times...but they soon find out that the movie left out a ton of stuff...and changed many things from the original story...they really enjoy it...we compare/contrast this story with the movie as we go along.
mkc235 is offline   Reply With Quote

thethreebears

Favorite Read Aloud
Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We are reading the BFG by Roald Dahl and it is great!! I also like Sideways Stories from Wayside School and Skinnybones.
thethreebears is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetiex

Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!
sweetiex is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 11-30-2010, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My kids are history lovers, so they really enjoyed Blood on the River. We also read Stonefox, but they weren't that into it. Listening for Lions is a great book, but I found it difficult as a read aloud. We are now reading (actually, listening to the audiobook) Chasing Lincoln's Killer.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

srobles

Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Yikes, I started reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever based on the recommendations, without previewing it myself. It started out talking about the kids that smoke cigars, and making fun of fat kids in how much they weigh. Please tell me about the rest of the book, I got a little nervous in class today
srobles is offline   Reply With Quote

thinkhappy

Roald Dahl
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

James and the Giant Peach is wonderful! I also like to read A Long Way From Chicago, about a hilarious grandmother and two kids during the Depression, the students just cackle at the things they get into.
thinkhappy is offline   Reply With Quote

stmforever

must read
Old 11-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Everyone needs to add The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary to their lists. I read it for the first time last year and the kids loved it. The characters are delightful and each chapter ends with a moral lessons like "slow and steady wins the race."
stmforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfull

Read Alouds are Great
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

This is a great book to read, besides the moral at the end of each chapter, it is so funny,The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary.
I am reading Something Upstairs by Avi and the kids are really into it. They love the history and the fact that a ghost has been murdered and Kenny must solve the murder to set the ghost free. We really enjoyed the preface because it was the author telling the story of how he came to write the book.
4th Grade Nothing was a lot of fun. Many things we have done in Social Studies and Reading go right along with this story.
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
Stone Fox is great if you pull the kids into it so they can make a connection with the characters.
The Watson's Go To Birmingham is fantastic. Hyperbole Heaven.
Mindfull is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms.G

New books?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Does anyone have any new book recommendations (i.e. books published within the last couple of years)?
Ms.G is offline   Reply With Quote

jroberts1128

Old 12-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Don't let the start of the book deter you from reading it. It's has a great story line, but I am not going to ruin it for you!
jroberts1128 is offline   Reply With Quote

purple_claire

here's a few I read to my class
Old 12-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I read 'How to train your dragon' by Cressida Cowell - it is very different to the film and most of my kids have seen the movie and like to compare and contrast (they nearly always end up loving the book more!). I love doing the voices for the characters in this book.

I also read 'The demon headmaster' by Gillian Cross - it is a bit out of date in terms of not having cell phones and the internet, but the kids like it anyways, they love figuring out that he is using hypnozise to control all the children, and then trying to figure out what his evil master plan is.

Both of these books have sequels and when I finish reading the 1st book I place the sequels in the library and there is a fight to get to them first!
purple_claire is offline   Reply With Quote