Preferred Sub List - ProTeacher Community

TXlady

Preferred Sub List
Old 12-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those that are on preferred sub lists I'm curious how did you get on that list? I'm on 2 schools preferred sub lists. After I had subbed a few times at those schools the school secretaries asked me if I'd like to be on their preferred sub list so I gave them my information. I'd like to be on more lists so I get more jobs. I get all of my sub jobs through using AESOP. Would it be too forward to ask the secretaries at each new school I sub for about getting on their preferred sub list?

TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote

michigansub

Old 12-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I have had a good day at a school, at the end of the day I will go to the office and ask if there is anything else I can help with or if they have any openings that need filled - this has gotten me onto preferred lists because it shows that I want to sub and that I enjoyed the school
michigansub is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliSub

preferred sub lists
Old 12-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

After 3 years of subbing in the same three districts the "preferred" sub list still seems to be a mystery. My experience has been that the secretaries feel it's not a sub's place to request being put on their list. In other words, if they like you they will add you, and they don't need you to suggest it to them. So I stopped mentioning it. To my knowledge, I am not officially on any, though I often get jobs posted from the same schools that say I have been "requested" for the job, not sure if that is because I am "preferred". In my opinion TXLady, yes it would be too forward to ask, and it might even annoy them. I find the whole "preferred" situation very frustrating. (btw, I also get my jobs from AESOP, as well as SubFinder).
CaliSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Joy85274

Old 12-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

teachers can have their own preferred sub list as well as the school having one, they can all be different. If the secretary puts in the jobs then the those preferred subs get first crack at it. If a teacher puts in their own job then the teacher's preferred list gets first crack. If you are on good terms with teachers or secretaries, it won't hurt to ask. I believe the preferred list only allows 5 subs to be selected, so it is a bit hard to get on.
Joy85274 is offline   Reply With Quote

steelcitymom

Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teachers can also add you to their personal preferred sub list or request that you be added (depends on the settings that they are using). There is also an "exclude" option that primcipals can use at individual buildings if you are on thedistrict list.
If you leave a note for the classroom teacher, which it seems like most subs do now, mention that you had a wonderful day and would love to come in for them in the future.

steelcitymom is offline   Reply With Quote

TXlady

Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the info. I definitely don't want to annoy secretaries by asking to be on the preferred sub list. I did hear one sub at a school I sub for ask a secretary about the preferred sub list so was wondering if this was a common thing to ask. I think I may just mention in my teacher note that I'd love to sub for them again, as a previous poster mentioned to do, and leave them my employee id # so they can request me if they so choose. I am trying so hard to get hired on full time in this district and am hoping subbing will lead to a teaching job for next school year.
momandsub

momandsub

I always leave a
Old 12-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

note for the teacher with my contact info in case they have questions. In the past this led me to being requested by many teachers in my district. Currently the teachers are not allowed to request preferred subs becasue of the high number of layoffs in my district. Laid-off teachers who wish to sub have priority in seeing the jobs on SamrtFind. I have a few teachers that will text me to let me know they have put a job in the system, in the hope I can grab it if no laid off teacher takes it. I am grateful that they think enough of my work to do this for me.

subczy

I got on...
Old 12-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

individual teachers lists. Thing is - it doesn't mean much. I am either at home and busy when that early call comes in or else I am working at school at miss it. For me , peferred doesn't do much for me. What DOES is convincing a teacher to put my name on their time off request and so the secretary will just enter it onto my schedule. THAT is how I book 98% of all my jobs. I also tend to work for the same people over and over again - which is good for the newere subs too b/c I don't view the aesop jobs that often and they can snap them all up. Also, I dont' take calls that come in early morning - I go w/ amy schedule that is set and leave it at that (I have another work from home job so do that on days off).
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

What is the harm in asking?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Come on-too forward?! This is your lively-hood, for goodness sake ask to be put on their preferred sub list. I ask, give them my info and get calls from schools all over the district.

If you ask and they seem put off by your assertiveness, then good hideous. There are more schools who would rather have more subs to call then a small pool to choose from.

Go for it!!
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

TXlady

Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Well I didn't ask to be on the preferred list just said I'd love to come back and sub. The teacher I was subbing for was in meetings during the day so she was at the school and i was able to meet her. She actually emailed me (i picked up another sub job for her class) and told me she gave my name to the school secretary for the preferred sub list. I'm on another preferred sub list and i notice i see a lot of jobs for that school in the evening that i am able to pick up. And this school is only 5 minutes from my house and a really good school.