What are the educational requirements to teach preschool? - ProTeacher Community

bamaprekpro

What are the educational requirements to teach preschool?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I live in Alabama and we quite often will have preschools associated with parochial schools. The Episcopalians and the Catholics have alot of K-8 programs and they will offer preschool programs onsite. Many parochial schools will have an infant-toddler daycare onsite, as well. The private preschool I've been working for employs quite a few women who only have high school diplomas. They haven't taken any college classes in Child Development or anything related to early childhood education. I'm surprised that the women teaching pre-K four aren't required to have an associates degree in Child Development Technology or Early Childhood Education Technology. I was just curious: what are the educational requirments for the preschools in your states?

bamaprekpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Skimo

Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In Florida, we have to take 40 hours of classes through the Department of Children and Family, the Early Education and Care supply teachers and online web site to take the classes. Each class is $10.00 and tests are $10.00. Some centers require every teacher to take CPR and First Aid. Every center have their own requirements. Some will only hire teachers with CDA's or AA's, some centers require only a high school degrees. Here in Florida each teacher has a year to aquire the 40 hours. The private school I taught at did not require any degree or certification. I have a Dual BA in Special Education and Elementary Education with certification in Preschool to 3rd Grade. I have taken the 40 hours and have my Child Care Director Certification with VPK endorsement.

Last edited by Skimo; 12-04-2010 at 08:16 PM..
Skimo is offline   Reply With Quote

summersday

educational requirements
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a bachelor of science degree in Early Childhood Education, which gives me certification to teach PreK-3rd grade. It is my understanding that in public schools you have to be certified to teach PreK or have an education degree in another grade level and be working towards certification in PreK. In private schools, you can teach as long as you have a bachelor's degree and work towards a certain amount of education hours.
summersday is offline   Reply With Quote

NovPSU07

Pennsylvania Preschool
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In PA, to teach a state funded Pre-K program you have to be certified in Early Childhood and have a bachelors degree in it as well. To teach a regular preschool in a daycare, I think you just have to have your associates and be continuing education in some way.
NovPSU07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is a difference between what and where you teach. In Wisconsin, it depends also on what type of childcare you are providing and if they get any public funding.
Child Care Teacher: Under Wisconsin law, no person may provide care and supervision for 4 or more children under the age of 7 for less than 24 hours a day unless that person obtains a license to operate a child care center from the Department.
Must be at least 18 years old and have high school education or equivalent or certificate, credentials, or diploma from a post-secondary early childhood training program approved by the department. Must have 120 days half-time or 80 days full-time experience in direct care; or certification by the Wisconsin department of public instruction as a nursery school teacher or as an exceptional education needs teacher (or be able to show evidence of meeting the qualifications for certification); and 2 years documented credit in an institution of higher education with at least 3 credits equivalent to early childhood education or satisfactory completion of 80 hours of department-approved training in early childhood education, CDA credentials, or satisfactory completion of another department-approved competency program.

If you teach in a state licensed childcare center as a teacher is also different than teaching in a public school. Teaching in parochial schools is also different than teaching in a public school: "Teacher Certification: Private schools are not obligated to employ licensed or certified teachers. However, the State Superintendent of Public Instruction has the authority to certify teachers employed at private schools. Wis. Stat. Ann. 115.28(7)(b)."

I have a BSE and a state teaching license (actually three licenses and a masters degree now). Currently I teach 4K but can teach special education B-21, SLD, EC:EEN and general ed PK-2nd.

Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

mkprek

Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm in Tennessee. IF you teach in a public pre-k you must have at least a bachelors and your teaching license, be certified in pre-k, and highly qualified. I have a bachelors in early childhood, a masters, and I have just begun my plus 30.
mkprek is offline   Reply With Quote