Class is out of control! 7th Grade - ProTeacher Community

queensgal1

Class is out of control! 7th Grade
Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Class refuses to stop talking and work. Have tried positive and negative methods. What to do when you have done all the "right" things (class rules at the beginning, consistency, calling parents, other consequences, etc.), but nothing works. Even have a points chart toward a "free" period.

queensgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Suggestion
Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A) After school detention or B) Keep them after class dismissal for exactly 60 seconds, so they have to hustle to get to their next class. Go after the worst offender or two or three. Do that a few times and hopefully things will get better. Don't be nice at all. They're wasting your time, so waste theirs.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

berrygirl

Old 12-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like my 8th grade class. Today, they progressed to hurling insults at me. I'll tell you what DOESN'T work: screaming your head off. . I did that today because I lost it and all it did was fuel them.

If you come up with anything that works, let me know. Because I'll tell you right now, I've given out detentions until I'm blue in the face and they don't care at all.
berrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

consistency
Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Does your school have a "system" that you must follow? If not, maybe you could design your own. At my school (I teach 9th) for minor classroom offenses it goes like this:

1st offense - Warning
2nd offense - Punish work(reflection sheet)/Parent phone call
3rd offense - referral to counselor(where they review classroom expectations)/parent phone call
4th offense - office referral

*I also occasionally do recess detentions, which I don't have it count as one of their four offenses. (something I do to prevent an office referral)

The key is to find a system and be consistent - all the time. Let nothing slide. I have a rough group this year and being consistent does work. For example, if I am trying to teach and some kids are talking I'll say, "I will not talk over you" then I continue teaching. If they continue talking, I say nothing and put punish work on their desk. If it continues I write their name on the board with their offense number (Jon 3rd offense) and they never ask what the consequence of the offense is because they already know.

I have drilled rules/procedures and consequences into their head. I promise it takes to give out one or two consequences and the rest of them will get it and stop. Sometimes when there is more than one kid disrupting, it is hard to tell who the offender is and that's okay. Pick the main two or three, give them their consequence and move on. If you have to give a consequence to 7 of them, so be it. Eventually they will get it. You must be consistent though. Don't let a certain behavior slide one day, then give a consequence for it the next day; the kids have to know you mean business.

If you are looking for rewards, I use something that is more "immediate" then having to work towards earning something. I do a ticket system. I randomly give out tickets for good behavior. (Coming in quietly and doing bell work, helping another student pick up something that spilled, etc.) I put the tickets in a bucket, then I pull two winners every Friday to win a prize. (dollar tree items - character calendars, candy bags, colorful led pens, mini footballs, etc.) Even at their age, they get excited about winning. Every time I pull, I get disappointing "aww mans" and sighs lol.

Hope this helps.
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Structure
Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Stop instruction and kick into discipline mode any time a rule or routine is not followed. Reteach the rule (or routine) as carefully as any important academic lesson - from input to modeling to guided practice to teach-your-partner. Take your time. In a hurry signals rule is not that important and you are in rush to get back to instruction. Do not single out culprit who broke rule - like someone calling out - rather make a generic statement, "Class, I think we need to practice our hand signals."

You are not teaching anything the students don't already know. They have known how to raise their hands since kindergarten. You are teaching your "commitment" to R&Rs in your classroom. This is what the students want to know. They will continue to test any rule or routine until they are satisfied you "mean what you say" or are you like last year's teacher who had rule, "Raise hand before speaking", but let us call-out anyway?

Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Renwick

Renwick

Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I believe that good classroom managment is about 2 main ideas. One use positive language and talk to the students who are doing things really well. Maybe go over and give a student doing something really well a free homework pass while others are being noisy and emphasis using a loud voice praising the students good behavior thanking them for working hard following the directions. When other students say they want one too you tell them you would really like to give them one and to show what it looks like to be a good student it it might happen.

The other thing is to make sure you do not engage in a power struggle. Use proximity - go over to a student, look them directly in the eyes, and very deliberately state the rule they are breaking. Then wait for them to comply with the rule. If too much time passes by, tell them because time is being wasted you will be holding the entire class to make up for the wasted time. If it 5 minutes or 1 hour stick to the punishment.

Ima Teacher

Old 12-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You say that you taught the class rules at the beginning, but are you reteaching them all along? One of my classes need at least one procedure retaught every stinking day. Another class rarely needs a reminder.

How many classes do you have? Are the other classes like that?

Have you changed seats? Can you find any ring leaders? I recently moved a ring leader out of one class and put him in another class. It helped a lot.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

davehead86

try ...
Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

stopping class and waiting for them to stop talking. I did this and what we missed in class was their responsibility to do for homework. They thought it was a joke, they had to read and answer questions and had a pop quiz the next day.

After that just take away fun projects and things like that. I had one class that lost all of their projects and fun days, they read out of the book every single day, anyone who talked recieved a detention immediatly. Two weeks of that got the good kids so far up the talkers butts that they were fine for the rest of the year.
davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote