My kids won't shut up! - ProTeacher Community

Makeil88

Makeil88

My kids won't shut up!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am becoming a witchy, aggravated teacher because I have an overpopulated classroom that's full of kids that love to talk. It's SO HARD to be in a good mood and take it all in stride. I have yet to get REALLY REALLY mad, but am I witchy and slightly mad 24/7? It feels like it.

HELP!

GiantSubs

Must be something in the water
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

because mine are driving me nuts with constant chatter too! I've never been one to take away recess time, but I'm seriously considering giving those who get check marks during the week a paragraph to write about respecting the teacher when she tells them to be quiet!
GiantSubs is online now   Reply With Quote

yellowred

Why don't they care?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can't believe how many times a day I have to raise my voice to say "be quiet!" It's so discouraging when they talk non-stop, especially when I am giving instructions. I know they are only six/seven years old, but I can't imagine not being quiet when someone asks you to. Nothing seems to work either - rewards, punishment, taking away recess.....feeling like giving up.
yellowred is offline   Reply With Quote

dolphinlover

Another poster
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

posted a "stop talking" behavior sheet. I changed it to say "no talking during class". I mark off for every time I see them talking (individuals). At the end of the week, if they have 16-17 letters left, they get a candy, 18-19-pencil or eraser, or 20-homework pass. So far it is going great!! I am hoping that it continues because I am so tired of the talking!
dolphinlover is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

Nice to hear! Truly...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am sorry, it is nice to hear that regular classroom teachers have this issue. There are some rooms I sub in where the kids will never completely stop talking. I wonder how teachers STAND it, I wonder if it is ME and b/c I am sub, I wonder if I am doing something wrong, etc. I am hearing more and more on this boards that sometimes that is just how the class is!!

Boy do I ever feel bad for talking as a child. I remember my 1st grad eteacher calling my mother to the school and telling her I talk 24/7. My first grade teacher (texas school system in the 70's) even put me in a refrig. box in the back of the classroom to siolate me. I had a little window and my desk in there. I spent the whoel year in that box and got out for specials, reading circle and recess. lol I am not scarred for life, but too bad on the school list teachers can't request boxes for all the students!!!! It worked!

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My class is chatty too. Earlier I put that to work for me. Since they like to talk, I would have them share their ideas and answers with each other. I would give them lots of opportunites to share hoping that it would curb their need to talk. Well, 63 days into school and sometimes it works for me and sometimes, like today, they just won't stop! I finally got angry with them a bit and they quieted down--at the end of the day! I am hoping that it's just the excitement of the Holiday Tradiditons around the world and the up coming holiday....
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Suspended

Driven2BG
Suspended

Square
Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I sub in at a MS where the kids are super chatty! So, IF I put my students and put them into a square (desk are in the shape of a square), where I can see them, they seem SO much quieter. Seriously, their magic in that square.
Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote

halfpint722

Mine too!!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm at my wit's end trying to deal with the chattiness and talking over me during lessons (and believe me with long division that they don't understand they shouldn't be talking). I started using the clip chart before Thanksgiving break but now that we're back it doesn't seem to make a difference. Or they'll be quiet for a little while but then start talking again. I'm counting the days til winter break
halfpint722 is offline   Reply With Quote

madhatter49

totally Understand
Old 12-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My class this year is full of children who just don't seem to care. They talk all the time. I have tryed sticker groups, giving individual rewards, taking away recess and calling parents. They will stop talking for a while if I get up-set with them, but that doesn't last for long. I was reading a book today which said something I never really thought of before. Who in my classroom feel the most comfortable? When someone feels uncomfortable they change their behavior. I am making the good kids in my class uncomfortable by yelling at the bad kids. My good kids are turning against me and talking more. I need to make my bad kids that talk all the time feel uncomfortable. I am going to try to completely ignore them as much as possible and give all my attention to those who want to listen. I don't know if this is going to work, but I will keep you posted.
madhatter49 is offline   Reply With Quote