Operations with Integers remediation project - ProTeacher Community

mrscarsonmath

Operations with Integers remediation project
Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, my school has a period of time each morning for teachers to meet with students and give remediation or enrichment. My next 4-week "rotation" will be working with kids who struggled during our unit on operations with integers - especially adding and subtracting.

I am looking for a project or set of real-life tasks that my students can work on during this period. I want something that will reinforce their understanding while I give assistance to small groups or individuals. My ultimate goal is to be able to let them work on the project with minimal interruptions by me. Something that will interest them, but not be "fluff".

Any ideas?

mrscarsonmath is offline   Reply With Quote

bellecurve

Old 12-11-2010, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It seems like something with the stock market could work really well; they could keep a running portfolio of a handful of stocks and follow the tickers, which show the changes in either + or -.

You could also do a budgeting project which includes some involvement from you, like "your bank just issued a charge" which registers as adding a negative, or "your bank cleared up a double charge" which would be subtracting a negative. Those kind of things would open the discussion about how adding a negative = subtracting positive numbers, and subtracting a negative = adding positive numbers.

I'm not sure either of those would be four week units so maybe you could put together a tic-tac-toe board that included several different ideas like those.
bellecurve is offline   Reply With Quote

westwood

Schedule Question
Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I dont' really have an answer to your question; however, I would like to know more about your schedule. We are looking at doing a time of remediation/enrichment in our school. Would you be willing to share how you schedule yours? Thanks so much--and good luck with integers!
westwood is offline   Reply With Quote

dbmwhaley

Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but we did a project using integers. My students made up their own board game and the questions had to have integer problems. We just used folders so we could laminate them and play them we had some extra time.
dbmwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote