Demo Lessons - ProTeacher Community

TXlady

Demo Lessons
Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those who have done demo lessons for interviews, what lessons have you done? I am applying to a district where one of the phases of the interview process is a 5 minute demo lesson. Five minutes is sooo short, so I am clueless to what I could actually teach in that short amount of time. Thanks!

TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote

IAM4Kids

IAM4Kids

demo lesson
Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I recently done a five minute teach lesson... I also have had no luck in finding a job... I recently graduated in Aug and work as a teacher assistant for HISD and it's tough. My video was on the five sense. I done the whole lesson at school and edit the video. When you do the video make sure that you show the students doing hands on activities and make sure you state your objective. Hope that helps.. Good luck!

TXlady

Old 12-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Houston ISD is actually the district I'm trying to get hired in as I live in the city. I am subbing in the district and am hoping to get a job that way. But on HISD's job website they state you must either submit a video or do a sample teach in person.
IAM4Kids

IAM4Kids

Demo lesson
Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes that is correct. There is a four part process which involves submitting an online application, submit the teach video... if they like your video then you go on to the test... the test is a math test... that you must pass... in order to move to the next phase which is the interview with the panel... once you get pass that then the principal can call you for a interview.... Wow! Isn't that a lot for a job that is not yours yet..... Let's stay hopeful.. something will come up for us. I have applied at the following places and still no luck... Alief which I really want they pay the most... Spring branch, springisd, pearland... stafford.... neighboorhod centers... charter schools.... Still no damn luck... this is very depression.... Especially when you went to school for this and you still can't get a job. Keep me posted on your search and I'll do the same. All the districts are now starting to ask for a sample teach video lesson ...

GreyhoundGirl

Just to clarify
Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have no experience with this so I just want to clarify; does the entire lesson need to be 5 minutes or can it be part of a lesson?

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

supergirl71

demo lesson
Old 12-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It needs to be 5 minutes and make sure it does not go over that time limit. Make sure to state your objective and have some time of closure. I did mines on the 5 senses and put it in the 5E format.. it has to be thought out and know how much time you want to spend on the explore which should be no more than a minute... you want to have the children doing some type of hands on activity with questions and answer to check for understand.. be sure to recap what you taught at the end. Hope that helps you... What district are you trying to apply for?
supergirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote

TXlady

Old 12-22-2010, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've been told by teachers in hisd to just drop off my resume to principals which i plan to do since i sub in the schools anyway. i wonder if a principal likes and knows you, can they interview and put the word into human resources that they want to hire you so you don't have to go through all those steps.

supergirl71

demo lesson/interview
Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have done that too.... I had an interview about two weeks ago from a local school in HISD before the winter break and the principal thus far has not gotten back to me with her decision. My mother knows someone who works there and she told my mother that she has not interviewed anyone else for the position since me. Please note that there were other applicants as well. I had to teach a reading lesson for the principal, and oh boy was I nervous. I think it went fairly well, but I don't know if I done enough to impress the socks off her.

TXlady

Old 12-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm getting really frustrated with HISD. I don't want to give up as I want to teach in this district so badly. But I've never heard of so many phases you have to go through. My options are limited of where else to apply cause I live in the city, so only other districts that are a close enough drive to me would be spring branch, pearland, and fort bend.

supergirl71

jobs/ demo lesson
Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hang in there... i have tried those districts as well and no luck. i am going to just do a drive by and turn in my resume with my teach video in hand....You gotta think outside the box...

Last edited by supergirl71; 12-22-2010 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: misspelled a word