Auction Project Ideas Needed - ProTeacher Community

donna

Auction Project Ideas Needed
Old 01-14-2007, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school is holding a fundraiser auction. Each class is doing some sort of project to auction off there. I am looking for any ideas that you have done or seen before as this is our first one.

Some ideas I have seen are painting a piece of furniture and putting thumbprints, handprints, names, etc..., or doing a mirror or a piece of pottery.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

donna is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

not sure of scope...
Old 01-14-2007, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but...

bird/bat houses (would need some time and help from art teacher/wood shop)

greeting card sets- mixture of themes...birthday, Christmas, Friendship, etc.

sew a quilt (takes some work and lots of sewing helpers, but they are GREAT. Each student finds materials from home...you could do your school colors.

paper mache' pinatas

painted mailboxes

mosiac top table

felt balls or other felt project
kali is offline   Reply With Quote

lillian

Baskets
Old 01-14-2007, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Making a big decorative basket filled with particular items, like a spa basket filled with goodies for a home spa day (bubble bath, scented candle, an eye pack that can be frozen or heated in the microwave, a foot massager, etc.), is a good idea. My son's school did this last year, with each class making a basket. Lists of needed items were sent home, and the kids' parents signed off to bring something from the lists. It takes organizing on the teacher's part because you have to make sure that all the parents who have agreed to buy something do not all buy the same thing, but it's a great auction idea. It went over really well. Some of the baskets I remember seeing were: Home spa day, pot of chili (chili mix, cornbread mix, couple of soup bowls, couple of spoons, etc.), chocolate lovers (hot chocolate with two mugs, chocolate scented candle, Godivas, etc.).
lillian is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

Recipe book
Old 01-14-2007, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Get a favorite recipe from all the second grade class members (your room and the other second grade classes) We make recipe books each year. Our high school computer class types them. Be sure and make one for yourself, the principal and the janitor that cleans your room.

We make recipe books for parents Christmas gift each year.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

azfarkas

I agree...
Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the baskets are a great idea! I have been to many school functions where baskets are raffled off and they always go before the other stuff! Have and be creative and people will love them

azfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote

burg4

Auction Basket
Old 01-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My school's foundation has a yearly auction. Each class has to donate a basket to be auctioned off. Students donate items to put put in the basket. My class is doing a kitchen basket. Some of the other classes are doing books, dvds, gardening, sports, bathroom, and candle baskets. We also have to come up with craft project that is in a silent auction. My class is keeping with the kitchen theme and decorating an apron with the student's handprints. A mom in my room is going to sew around each of the handprints and add some sort of cute saying to it.
burg4 is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

Old 01-14-2007, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow! Thanks for all your great ideas.
We actually have another fundraiser later in the year where each class makes a gift basket so I am looking for art project ideas for this auction.

Gina TX

Old 01-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When my son was in elementary they did this every year and it was a great fundraiser. They did a lot of themed baskets, but if you're not looking for baskets I like the idea of the furniture with handprints. I'm thinking maybe a small desk for the kids room?

You can also put together packages like a weekend get a way. A lot of places will donate to schools as they can get a tax write off. Even if it's a local hotel.

I've seen purses with sequences sewed on to look like a Texas flag, of course that's big here, but you could do it in another theme. One time someone got a bunch of flip flops and decorated them with the school theme.

I can't remember what else as most are baskets, but if I think of something I will let you know.

Good luck!
Gina TX is offline   Reply With Quote

annie ann

Quilt
Old 01-14-2007, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My son's class last year made a quilt. The class parents got the materials , took pictures of the each student, the teacher and the class hamsters that were incopporated into the quilt. They went to a store that gave them directions and tips. Every student in the class got to work on the quilt in school and the parents got together at different times for quilting parties. All parents were included, even if they could not sew. The quilt went for $500 at the silent auction at school. It was the hit of the auction.
annie ann is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Our school does the baskets
Old 01-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

for a silent auction too. Some of the themes that have done well are Bath and Body, Coffee and Tea, Game night, chocolate lovers, movie night, Jayhawks items (we're close to KU), dog lovers. Some of the baskets have gone for as much as $50 apiece.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

beach theme furniture
Old 01-14-2007, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I once saw a class project that was raffled off in a magazine. The children painted with fabric paints ocean/beach theme on a plain white patio umbrella, placemats and glassware (different paint)The set looked beauitful and brought in a lot of money. I always thought I'd do this if I needed a project. Any theme that has simple shapes/designs would do. Personally, as cute a I think handprint themed items are, I would spend more on something that is childllike, yet absract or decorative.
fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Debbie

bathroom decor
Old 01-14-2007, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

One year my class made an entire bathroom set. It would've been great for a kids' bathroom. Each student painted a sea animal or similar that they "traced' from the original below. We used a see thru curtain and then auctioned with a blue or white to go underneath (I can't remember which). Then we decorated toothbrush holder, waste basket, and cup. I'm sure you could do towels too!
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote

mgf91280

a reading chair with a children's book theme
Old 01-15-2007, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

There's a secretary at my school who paints a piece of furniture each year for our PTA silent auction. She buys a cheap thrift store wooden chair, then uses paint to create all kinds of designs.

In the past, she's done:

* a gardner themed chair (beautifully painted of course, but also a round hole was cut out of the seat of the chair, and a potted plant -- a fern, I think -- was placed in the hole). Very unique!

* a Harry Potter themed chair -- nothing cheesy, actually it was very tasteful with the dark, rich color schemes of the book/movies: burgundies, dark greens, gray, gold, navy blue.

If it's going to be a project created by your children, you could pick a timeless children's book (Charlotte's Web, The Velveteen Rabbit, or even something more kooky like Cat in the Hat) and paint a themed chair -- a special chair just for reading!
mgf91280 is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

Old 01-15-2007, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks so much for everybody's responses.
It has given me some great and "creative" ideas to play off of.

IMHISTORY

I did all of these-and then some
Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thumbprint platters: I used platters that had rims.
Angels-thumbprint faces. Royal blue gowns. Yellow wings. Do the hair like their school pictures. Spongs the middle and add yellow stars.

Bunnies. Use an oval platter. Bunnies go around the rim, Thumbprint is body and face. Add ears and legs. Decorate the center of the platter like an Easter egg.

Tukeys Thumbprint is the body. Add long neck and head. add legs. Feathers fan out in the back.

Lady bugs. The only platter I used that did not have have large rim. Thumprints are the lady bugs. Before doing the lady bugs I made gingham stripes on the platter. This was achieved with tape-very time consuming.

These all fetched several hundres dollars. These are great because they are used for holidays.

Find someone who can sew. We made a play size teepee out of canvas. The children decorated it with handprint animals.

Parents will pay alot to have a kindergarten teacher to come to the home and do a bedtime story!
IMHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
RDeal

RDeal

projects
Old 10-16-2007, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hello- I can email you some direction sheets of our most successful projects that include the basic directions and photos from our art literacy program. Also if you google school+auction- you will find many schools that are doing the same thing- this is how we started.
We have had great luck with mosiac on: pots, mirrors, stepping stones etc. Also framed items where each student does one part - like a bug, a star (our mascot) or heart, canvas paintings for kinders with hearts painted and each child places hands on heart.
deal1701@comcast.net
Mantygirl

Mantygirl

Class auction projects
Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Hi could you email me the direction sheets that you used for your auction projects. We are having our Auction in March and I am in charge of the 5th grade class and helping the 1st grade mom. YIKES. Last year my husband made 2 end tables and I had each child write their name on a earth tone mosiac tile. They turned out great. I need some new ideas though.
Thanks,
Deb
debrentmeester@sbcglobal.net
katsmom11100

katsmom11100

please email me the directions
Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

could you please email me the directions as well. I am in charge of the first grade project! Yikes
jrpthp@aol.com

luvmycat

Think Green
Old 01-20-2008, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Last year I got some inexpensive canvas bags on Ebay. We started our project around now, (MLK holiday), each child chose a positive word that MLK would approve of and wrote it on a fabric square with crayon. Then they continued to go around their word to fill up their square with color. Each table group chose either cool or warm colors as their color scheme. The groups of 4 became a larger quilt patch that was appliqued to the bag and adorned with buttons, lace etc.

They make great shopping bags. We started the 5 bags bidding at $20.00 each and took away around $240 total. I liked this idea because more families came home with something and it still netted a good price. I would only do this on the years that I know my class wil be well represesnted at the auction.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Teacher for the day
Old 01-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This is always a hit at our school and pretty easy to deliver. The kid gets to shadow you all day and lead the class in some lessons. My little teacher last year actually planned 2 activities! Most of the time we get them a special kid's meal from a fast food restaurant and they join us in the staff room. Since so many of us do this, we try to select a day when several of them are acting as teachers so we don't have 'visitors' in the staff room all the time and only one of us goes to get their lunch. Last year this was a big bidding war, I think it went for around $225 and only cost me the price of the kid's meal.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Veo

Veo

RDeals's Message
Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Could you please email me any ideas you have for a 5th grade project? Thanks! veorrico@msn.com
docentmom

docentmom

bookcase
Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We are doing a simiar auction and I bought a unfinished bookcase and painted it white. Now I just need a creative idea on how to use the kids to decorate it with paint. I don't want to do the fingerprint creatures...we already did that. Any suggestions?

salem

Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

One year the room mom in another class bought a bag chair---the kind that parents sit in on the sidelines at games--and all the kids did the thumbprint thing like has been metnioned above. These were a big hit, and very cheap to buy on the front end!

My son's class did garden stepping stones from kits that you can get at the craft store.
salem is offline   Reply With Quote
tampiko

tampiko

Class Projects
Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Can you email them to me at icequeen01@msn.com?

Thank you