touch point math: coins - ProTeacher Community

laurat426

touch point math: coins
Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good Evening!

I was wondering what everyone thought of the touch point for counting coins. (Those that know what it is.) I have one of my students who understood dimes, nickels and pennies perfectly but once we added in quarters he just couldn't do any of it, we worked for the past week, and the rest of the class is ready to move on and I didn't want to keep them on it. I taught him the touch point and it worked like magic. He does know what each coin is and how much its worth and was even able to use the touch points on real coins (without the dots on them) It definitely helped his confidence.. I guess I am not 100% sold on it though. I know that it works, but I don't want to send him onto second counting coins that way. I think I might let him use this for a week or 2 and then try again counting the real way. What do you think? Am I over thinking it?

laurat426 is offline   Reply With Quote

NicTy

Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use Touch Math with coins and I love it. I don't require any student to use it but just present it as another strategy they can use. We use Everyday Math and it encourages showing many different ways to arrive at the same answer. If it helps him, I say let him use it. He will anyway if it works for him. This way, he can do it without feeling like he's cheating. If you tell him to do it the "right" way, he'll feel like he is lacking if he can't. You should encourage him to try it the other way too, but let him get the answers anyway he can.
Just the opinion of someone who hated math growing up because teachers always wanted the "right" answer the "right" way....
NicTy is offline   Reply With Quote

laurat426

Thanks for your opinion
Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I appreciate hearing your perspective. Of course I wouldn't actually say "here is the right way" I guess I should have worded my question better! I guess because we don't use that in our school, I'm afraid that the next years teacher will not like it? Also, Do your students have to touch the coins while counting like if they were to go to a snack bar and have to pay for something?

mintpint5

Touch Math
Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used Touch Math for coins as an alternate strategy for those who are having trouble counting mixed coins. I works well for some students.
mintpint5 is offline   Reply With Quote

bells4me

Do they pay at the cashier this way?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No, by the time the kids are old enough to be buying things on their own, they are not touching and counting the points. But the touchpoints sure do help them get through the class still learning. I think it makes a big difference between liking math and hating math, confidence and no confidence or self worth. Once that happens there goes reading too.

bells4me is offline   Reply With Quote

laurat426

Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks to all the replies. I am a fairly new teacher (3rd year) and so I'm still trying out new strategies. I do agree that it has definitely boost his confidence and if he wants to use that, then he is of course allowed. I do though want to make sure he can skip count different numbers by the time he goes to 2nd grade. He's a very smart boy, who could do mixed numbers perfectly until the 25! I think he just needs more practice with it. I think it is important to know how to switch skip counting, but I don't feel he is ready yet, so touch point is great for "in the mean time", I'm not going to rush it.

About my paying the cashier question-- I didn't mean when they were grown up, i meant now. My kids will come up during school games to pay for snacks at the concession stand, I hope you didn't think I was trying to be rude, that wasn't my intent. I was just curious

Last edited by laurat426; 01-06-2011 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: forgot a point

ReadingTchr28

Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use it. I teach my entire class to use touch points when we first start counting coins. So many of our students struggle to count coins so I begin with exposing them to it and asking them to use it. Now at this point in the year, not every student needs it but some students I definitely require them to put them in on their work because they are not proficient in counting coins any other way. Then when we do morning meeting and count our coins I always use touch points but like anything some kids are beyond it while some are barely grasping the concept. If it works for him, I see no harm in him using it. I have several students who will go to 2nd using touch points and will most likely continue using them in 2nd.
ReadingTchr28 is offline   Reply With Quote