Is January a slow month for subbing? - ProTeacher Community

lamaestra

Is January a slow month for subbing?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year subbing and the school district where I sub will start tomorrow. I have not gotten any assingments for this month and I"m wondering if January is a slow month for subbing.

lamaestra is offline   Reply With Quote

TK56

January subbing
Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It can be, because everyone's had a good break. On the other hand, if the flu or a stomach bug starts going through the ranks, a lot of people can be out for a long time.
The thing about subbing is you have to be patient and flexible. But you've probably already learned that.
TK56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynette12

Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year it was slow for me, but this year, I have a job every day, except one day last week! It is great! A couple days I even had schools call me to work instead of trying to grab one on AESOP. Hopefully, it will pick up for you!
Lynette12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Library Linda

Yes, very slow
Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

January and February are notoriously slow--for parapros, anyway. I've worked 5 years as a substitute parapro and it's always been slow at this time of the year. Last year I took off January, rather than rushing to get ready every morning and then having no job after all.

Part of it is everyone's had their break; part of it is that I only sub once or twice a week, so no one knows me yet. Maybe they don't know you well enough, either, yet, if you've only been into subbing one year. Hopefully you find something!
Library Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

newsubLisa

It's been busy here
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been called every day I was available since the end of the holiday. The only thing that is slowing me down is the snow days - last Friday, and most likely tomorrow will be one too.

Most of my calls have been in the morning, and a little later than usual. Some of it seems to be illness, but I was scheduled for two days last week because of a death in the teacher's family, and was scheduled in advance for this Friday.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a busy month for you too!

Lisa

P.S. Anyone else feel a little bit guilty that a lot of teachers being sick means more work for us?

newsubLisa is offline   Reply With Quote

4turtle

suupper slooooww
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have only worked a 1/2 day since Christmas break. It's killin' me.
4turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

2 in 2
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Two single assignments in two weeks. Not great, but maybe picking up
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We just went back to school yesterday, and I worked a full day yesterday and half-day today. I have a full day, Friday, and I have one day a week for the next two weeks scheduled. I'm pleased that I have some things scheduled, and I'll just have to wait and see if more jobs come up.
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote
HEFRSA

HEFRSA

All jobs are always taken on AESOP
Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No matter how often I check and no matter when I check, all the jobs are always taken on AESOP. Automated sub systems punish hard anyone who doesn't have an IPHONE or the latest technology.
I am working about 1/10 of what I was working. I'm a certified teacher who can't find work, but, honestly, I have completely open availability, and subbing is, at best, a part-time job. There is no chance of working every day, even with teachers requesting me. I'm working so little that my father has had to start paying my bills, and I'm thirty-eight years old.

So upset and frustrated.

nicpen

It's been busy enough
Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've worked 4 out of the last 9 days (obviously not working today) and next week I have three days already booked. One day I can't sub, and then Friday I'll only sub at my kids' school since my daughter's class is performing in their monthly assembly, so I won't miss it if I'm at their school.

It really hasn't slowed down here.
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote