Long term sub - ProTeacher Community

4turtle

Long term sub
Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

WHOO HOO! Just officially accepted a long-term, full-time sub job in a 4th grade, for the last 7 weeks of the school year (maternity leave). I am giddy, the stars are aligning folks. Say prayers that it leads to a job for next school year.

I know I have a bit of time, so I plan on spending it collecting ideas, etc. The teacher said we will be doing fractions and decimals for math....not my best area in math. Any cool ideas?

Also, what about classroom management? Does anyone do "Free Friday" anymore or are you all too squished for time? What other incentives? Maybe a marble jar or something....

As you can see, my wheels are spinning. Any and all ideas are appreciated!

4turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

gofourth

Congratulations
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am excited for you. I love teaching 4th grade. I would check with the teacher to see if there is already a marble jar, bucket filling, or something else in place that you can continue to use through the end of the year.

Fractions are fun to teach but the kids find them tricky in general. The more hands on chances you can give them to explore basic fractions the easier it will be to have them start manipulating them on paper. As the time gets closer, if you need specific ideas I will be happy to help.
gofourth is offline   Reply With Quote

springmac

Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Congratulations! I'm currently working as a LTS in fourth grade until the end of the school year. It's a great age! There's so much you can do with fractions. Do you know if you will have a smartboard? You could maybe start checking into some fun lessons. One awesome resourse I use is a website called "teachers pay teachers". There are lots of lessons, powerpoints and fun game ideas on the site. You have to pay for everything you download (some things are free), but it's usually only a buck or so.

Good luck & I hope you have an awesome experience!
springmac is offline   Reply With Quote

ncteach98

Congrats!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know you are excited! About 15 years ago, I did a long-term maternity leave for 9 weeks in fourth grade. It landed me a full time teaching position in fourth grade the next year!

Just like the other post said, I'd check with the teacher about what things she already has in place. In my experience, I continued what the teacher had started. For example, the classroom rules, marble jar, etc. were left the same.

I wish you the best of luck. I teach fourth grade and I love it! Let me know if I can help you.
ncteach98 is offline   Reply With Quote