Vocabulary Instruction-ideas?! - ProTeacher Community

All4students

Vocabulary Instruction-ideas?!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I am a first year teacher and teaching 4th grade! Our reading is ability grouped and my students are on the lower end--more around a 3rd gr. level. I need to do more with vocabulary in reading and was wondering what any of you have done/are doing in your reading blocks to help students expand their vocabulary. Would it be better for me to expose them to 4th grade vocab. words that may be more difficult or review ones they may have learned in 3rd grade? Also, any good websites or programs to get a list of words?
Thanks so much!
Jennifer

Rascal2

vocabulary
Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry that I do not visit this board very often. Here is an excelent site to visit.

http://jc-schools.net/tutorials/vocab/TN.html
dede63

dede63

Elementary Teacher
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I struggled to find engaging vocabulary activities. What I've done is Vocabulary S-t-r-e-t-c-h. This activity starts with a base vocabulary list (ours comes from their basal). Students choose 3 suffix endings (ex: -ing, -ly,-er) and find what vocabulary word matches the suffix ending. These words are written in a vocabulary binder. We also do Vocabulary Cubes every week. Students glue a 3x12 inch paper and fold it to create a 4 sided "cube". Students illustrate one vocabulary word on each side and we keep a display of these cubes in our classroom.