Help

ARCHIVE

Penguin ideas/activities

>

N2Teaching

Penguin ideas/activities
Old 01-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I plan to do a penguin unit next week. I have some ideas, but I still need more! Does anyone have any activities that you have found to be beneficial or fun for primary grades? I appreciate all of your help! Thanks!

N2Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Penguins
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the kids use a penguin picture to make a Penguin glyph (circle body for girls, oval body for boys, etc.). I have them make a penguin plate project and write penguin facts in the center. We do a decoupage penguin egg. We cut a zig zag line with an exacto and put clay baby penguins inside. The write a daily journal about the hatching penguin. I have cute little penguin pictures and the kids write comic strips for each character and we discuss voice.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

ABBA

Read Tacky The Penguin
Old 01-19-2007, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Tacky The Penguin is a great story that my first grade class loves. There are also a few other Tacky stories available.
ABBA is offline   Reply With Quote

kwh

Old 01-19-2007, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love Tacky too!

I've seen a cute art project using 2 regular paper plates, a round circle for the head, and brads to make a penguin. One plate lays flat as the body. Attach the head (with eyes, beak, etc.) made of construction paper. Cut the other paper plate in half. Attach to the top of the body paper plate with brads at the top so that the halves swing open as wings and paint black. Attach construction paper feet.
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Lane

Peguin Help
Old 01-20-2007, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi N2Teaching,

In the past I have had the students make a penguin out of construstion paper, of course with an outline, and then write an interesting fact that they learned inside it. We have also made math facts up about penguins incorporating information we learned. There were three penguins in Antarctica, then three more chicks hatched. How many penguins do we now have? We also did a research project on it with books from the library,we did this in second grade. You could look at the region of penguins for social studies, compare and contrast different types of penguins, look at the habitat of penguins in science, let me keep things and I'll post more later.

Ms. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

Penguin Math
Old 01-20-2007, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I taught the penguin theme I used to do a measurement activity.
After getting measurements for the sizes of the different types of penguins, I made 4 lifed size penguins out of craft paper and laminated them.
Then they were put at 4 different stations for math. Students needed to measure the penguin with non standard units of measure such as paper clips, new crayons, unifix cubes. They had a recording sheet with them for each penguin. First they made an estimate and then they measured.

You could also do an estimation jar with swedish fish in it and call it "penguin food".
donna is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Penguins
Old 01-20-2007, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We just finished up 2 weeks of penguin activities in our school. Students learned about penguins, read stories about them, wrote "cool" poems, made penguin masks, wore black and white for a day, had a penguin march, watched "March of the Penguins" while doing an alphabet scavenger hunt for words, and we even went to see "Happy Feet". I had suggested we have an "in-school snow day" and have penguin bowling, egg waddle races, etc., but there wasn't enough time to organize it.
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Darci

Penguins
Old 01-20-2007, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hey, don't forget to have them try to walk with a beanbag (that is what I use so it is not as frustrating as a large plasic egg) on their feet. They absolutely love that.
I also requested to use the gym and scooters during open time and we had "belly sliding" races too (just as the penguins "toboggan") They always ask if they can beanbag race too, so be sure to take the "eggs" for their feet when you go!
Have fun!
Darci is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

ideas and activities
Old 01-20-2007, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

PENGINS -I would choose a theme: Penguins (it's January and winter) Students present "Tacky the Penguin" by Helen Lester.... You will find it at http://teachers.net/lessons/posts/1129.html Make a copy for each student. Hi-lite the students part, helps them know when to speak. Ahead of time I would have students make Penguins by decorating empty toilet paper rolls, pattern at http://www.dltk-kids.com/t/animals/bpenguin.html Have finished penguins sitting around the room. I would have students read Penguin Pete series books or any penguin books in your library and for chapter reading “Mr. Popper's Penguin's”. (we are about half way, students love it) There is a great pattern at www.AtoZTeacherStuff.com I think it was under printables. Make a penguin book. You will find a pattern for a cover, page with lines, and a page without lines. http://www.billybear4kids.com/TinyTi...PenguinUC.html also has a cute penguin book. Students might write a poem in their book or tell something about penguins. Our students are also going to copy a penguin poem on one page. The poem we are putting on one page of out Penguins books is: Five Little Penguins Dressed in Black... Five little penguins, dressed in white and black. Waddle, waddle forward and waddle right back! Five little penguins, in a funny pose, They are wearing their evening clothes. Their suits are black and their vest are white. They waddle to the left and they waddle to the right. They stand on the ice and they look very neat, As they waddle along on their ten little flat feet. One page will have the penguin’s facts (we will read together). One page will have a story problem. Example: 2 big penguins and 2 small penguins were eating krill. How many penguins were eating krill? And I will put four or five other 3+4 = ____ 5+2=___ and etc on the page We are going to do the work sheet "A Penguin Grows Up" But I don't know where I found it either. I am going to buy sugar cookies, the cheapest big round ones I can find. A can of chocolate frosting and a can of white frosting. Make an upside down V White for the penguin’s tummy; Cover the rest of the cookie with Chocolate frosting, wings. Add a chocolate cookie for the head. A red M and M for the mouth, and brown M and M's for the eyes, or you can use chocolate chips, or raisins for eyes, Pineapple tidbits or candy corn, for the beak, and feet. Students will decorate the cookies, as a fun project. Share a cookie, (have the cookie in a zip bag) a toilet paper penguin, and penguin book with your visitor. I would have a paper sack for her to put her penguins in. Take a brown sack, turn down the top to the inside --3 inches, punch holes in the top (2 on each side about 4 inches between holes, depends on the size of sack you use) and make handles, with cord. (like bags you buy). Paste a picture of a penguin on the bag. Or just buy a bag at a dollar store. We are in the middle of our penguin unit now. During recess we are going to have penguin races. Use plastic Easter Eggs. Put feet together and carry the eggs on the top of our feet like the father penguin, to a marked line and return to the start. Students get to keep the surprise inside. A piece of bubble gum. Eggs I'll save and use again next year. www.littlegiraffes.com has lots of cute penguin ideas –I sometimes have trouble opening this site. Do a search (little giraffes) click on Mrs. Flanigan’s Little Giraffes. Hope this helps. Petunia in Kansas.....
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenn73

More Penguin Ideas
Old 01-20-2007, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My kindergartners LOVE our penguin unit every year, but they are really into it this year because of Happy Feet. I have pictures of many different species of penguins posted in the room - the kids love to learn all their crazy names! The macaroni and the rockhopper penguins are their favorites
I also give them the heights of different penguin species and we use our rulers to measure that out on paper. We hang the papers in the hallway and the whole school enjoys checking out our work. Plus it works out perfect with our math series!

Jenn73 is offline   Reply With Quote

annieteach1

Old 01-21-2007, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We are currently in our penguin unit in Bridges math. We have been studying different species of penguins. We made penguin folders and have data sheets inside for each penguin. The data sheets include: height (in inches), weight, how many eggs are laid, beak/feet color. We have measured our heights and are then able to compare the penguins to ourselves. We have a large chart displayed with the penguin information so we can compare. I brought in several canned goods and labeled them (A, B, C, etc.) and we have been weighing them to equal the weight of each penguin (for example, the Rockhopper penguin's weight is can A+C+D).

I believe it's the CTP company that has a mini bulletin board set on penguins. It includes head shots of several different species with name labels. I've been using those to mark the height of each penguin on our classroom tape measure.

Kids LOVE this math unit (I do too)!
annieteach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

N2Teaching

WOW! Thanks so much!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Everyone .... thanks for your ideas! I never expected so many good ones! I know my class will love this unit! Again, thank you ... thank you! I knew I could depend on proteacher to help me out!

N2Teaching
N2Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote