Teaching 3 dimensional shapes - ProTeacher Community

PaulaK

Teaching 3 dimensional shapes
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any tips on how to teach 3-dimensional shapes - what is the language you use to tell the difference between pyramid and triangle - I'm just throwing out my frustrations with my lack of knowledge! TIA

PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

Use Nets
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

- I google nets for three dimensional shapes and then use them with my students to demonstrate the vocabulary of vertex/vertices, edges, and faces. My students are able to see that the vertices are the corners where the edges (line segments meet) and the faces are the flat 2 dimensional shapes on each side, top and bottom of the shape. The nets also allow the students to fold and unfold each part of the 3 dimensional shape so that they can see and feel the edges, faces, and vertices and hopefully have a better understanding of what parts make up a 3 dimensional shape compared to 2 dimensional (plan) figures/shapes.- i.e. square, triangle,etc.
Hope that helps!
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A Hershey's Kiss is almost a pyramid.
We've also built pyramids out of paper...foldables by Dinah Zike.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

NicTy

3 Dimensional Shapes
Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught this last year, my kids had trouble with the cube. They didn't understand that it was not a square. I used 6 squares from my pattern block set and some putty to build a cube. I showed them that the top could be a lid and I could put stuff inside. It should work for other shapes too.

This year, we are using Everyday Math and haven't gotten to 3 dimensional shapes yet. But 2nd grade just did a lesson last week. The students used straws to build the shapes. They all came down the hallway carrying pyramids and triangular prisms. They were very excited and were able to tell me all about the faces and vertices. I was very proud of them since I remembered the trouble they had last year.
NicTy is offline   Reply With Quote