Valentine's Day Bulletin Board/Writing Project - ProTeacher Community

pintosmom

Valentine's Day Bulletin Board/Writing Project
Old 01-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to come up with a fun and creative Valentine's Day project for my 4th graders that incorporates writing that we can display on our bulletin board. I was thinking of trying to do stories that include gluing in conversation hearts...but I'm not sure where to go from there? Any ideas?

pintosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

PBobcats4

Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe a descriptive ad for something like a puppy. I would buy either a bag of hearts or a box to see what all the sayings are inthere. I was also thinking a poem. You could do minature cellphone cutouts with a "texting" poem on them since i know some of the conversation hearts are in texting langauge!
PBobcats4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cap57

100 Things We Love
Old 02-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For us, the 100th day is always around Valentine's Day. We create a display called "100 Things We Love". Each student brainstorms a list of things they love, from people, places, pets, activities, etc. They choose 4-5 that they feel the most strongly about, (The # depends on how many kids in your class. You need 100 total squares.) They then write a paragraph about each one on 5 1/2 in. square paper that is lined at the top, but has room for an illustration at the bottom. They must have a topic sentence, 3 supporting details, and a concluding sentence. We do rough drafts first, and then final copies in cursive, and I do the project over several days' time. They draw their picture at the bottom. Their finished writing gets glued onto different colored 6 in. square pieces of construction paper. Then all the colored squares are mounted onto banner paper to make a class "quilt" that we display in the hall. It's quite impressive when they finish. My reluctant writers like it because there's not too much to write on each one. I'm actually going to start this project tomorrow!
Cap57 is offline   Reply With Quote

AussieBird

Old 02-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a few writing ideas on the attachment plus an interesting idea for displaying the work on hearts on your bulletin board ( idea from Mrs Pancake)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Valentine BB.doc (766.5 KB, 282 views)
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote

litgirl2

Valentine Dialogue
Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I put around 15-20 conversation hearts into a paper cup. EAch kids has one. We talk about how to use quotation marks when writing dialogue. Then they go through their hearts and pick out 10-12 to use in a quick story using the hearts and dialogue. The hearts become a rebus. The stories are great and usually funny. I just did this on Monday. The kids have around 8-10 sentences when they are finished. They first write a rough draft then when checked by me, they copy their story onto a large cut out red heart in marker, glue to a larger pink piece of paper and decorate. We read them so we can see the kind of dialogue you can use.

Goggle hershey kiss writing activity. Use your senses, you write 5 different paragraphs. Fun to do as they cannot say chocolate in their description. Great way for descriptive.

litgirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote